Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times

Advertisements

Nah, they prefer YOUR money where there mouths are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

Be very careful what you wish for.
Those of us in I.T. are very used to that, having watched our jobs either stream over to India or watching countless Indian H1-Bs flooding into the US to take our jobs away from us at cut-rate wages. Anyone who thinks H1-Bs are paid the same is seriously deluded. They're not.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hey if you work for "Intel" you must be some superhero. Hey pay those fry flippers like I said. Or are you hoarding all you money for yourself?? Don't let the Obamunists find out. YOU go pay em. I guess you can't understand that because you think somebody else should pay em. Just unreal.
Maybe you dont understand that business's compete. Or maybe you missed the part where my wife and I do own a business. You will lose your business if you pay more then the other guy. If however the govt sets the minimum wage, its a level playing field, and the employees get paid better. yes I pass that on to my customers, but it isnt a large % of my costs either.

Since I want to remain competitive I will continue to pay people as appropriate, all the while saying they should be paid more.

Why is this so complicated for you? All you seem to do is insult people, and troll them. much like another poster here that I added to my ignore list. I fear you too need to go there.

As for working at Intel making me a "superhero", not really. I do some incredibly difficult things, and while Intel likes to label us as "rockstars" (no joke-they label that in our cube walls-ie "rockstars down this aisle") that doesn't make us superheroes

I love how upset you seem to be that someone might disagree with you, and own a business as well. Amazing. You start calling names, denigrating, and being otherwise obnoxious.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Those of us in I.T. are very used to that, having watched our jobs either stream over to India or watching countless Indian H1-Bs flooding into the US to take our jobs away from us at cut-rate wages. Anyone who thinks H1-Bs are paid the same is seriously deluded. They're not.
Depends on the company, but generally I would estimate they are paid about 20% under the going rate...which keeps dropping due to the H1-B's, which reduces companies willingness to train employees as its cheaper to just hire a H-1B. Its a vicious cycle.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe you dont understand that business's compete. Or maybe you missed the part where my wife and I do own a business. You will lose your business if you pay more then the other guy. If however the govt sets the minimum wage, its a level playing field, and the employees get paid better. yes I pass that on to my customers, but it isnt a large % of my costs either.

Since I want to remain competitive I will continue to pay people as appropriate, all the while saying they should be paid more.

Why is this so complicated for you? All you seem to do is insult people, and troll them. much like another poster here that I added to my ignore list. I fear you too need to go there.

As for working at Intel making me a "superhero", not really. I do some incredibly difficult things, and while Intel likes to label us as "rockstars" (no joke-they label that in our cube walls-ie "rockstars down this aisle") that doesn't make us superheroes

I love how upset you seem to be that someone might disagree with you, and own a business as well. Amazing. You start calling names, denigrating, and being otherwise obnoxious.
So you Mr. small business owner wont pass on the cost of doubling up folks wages? Are you kidding me? I don't care about Intel either as you put that out there to make you appear you are better then us common folks. I want a job working for you. Hell in six months I'll be making a hundred grand a year dong nothing the way you talk. I'd hope your intel gig keeps it going........lol Just complete insanity is what your preachin.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Depends on the company, but generally I would estimate they are paid about 20% under the going rate...which keeps dropping due to the H1-B's, which reduces companies willingness to train employees as its cheaper to just hire a H-1B. Its a vicious cycle.
Yes and they are trying to get more visas for these folks to come over too. Plenty more.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times

Original Ding Fries Are Done - YouTube

All I can think of when I see this nonsense!

Remember what higher pay did for airport security?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you Mr. small business owner wont pass on the cost of doubling up folks wages? Are you kidding me? I don't care about Intel either as you put that out there to make you appear you are better then us common folks. I want a job working for you. Hell in six months I'll be making a hundred grand a year dong nothing the way you talk. I'd hope your intel gig keeps it going........lol Just complete insanity is what your preachin.
I didnt say that, I just said they're a small part of my costs. Those costs will be passed one.

BTW before you go on about how all costs will go up equally and it will all be the same, you're incorrect. Learn some economics, and study the real data. Minimum wage increases do not represent a 1-1 increase in inflation. in fact its about 1% to .1% ratio.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Corollary Thought: Don't demand a ~50-100% increase in your wages for a low-skill position which could possibly be replaced in part or in whole by technology.

Who were the ones asking for a radical change to the status quo here, the employers or employees? I don't think McDonalds Corp or the Franchisees were seeking wage concessions. The employees (with much prodding by outside forces) are the ones who are instigating a re-evaluation of the labor vs. capital-investment calculus.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 PM

You eat those costs then hero. You make the jump and pay your folks fifteen bucks a pop. Put up or shut up right. You can set the standard for the nation. You are a hero to the working stiff. Do it. I doubt you even have a grand in your bank account but hey it's fun to pretend right? College taught you well and you live with mommy and daddy now I'm sure. Anybody who throws out the nonsense you just did never ran anything but their butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies