U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,065,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This country offers far too many opportunities for anyone to fail.
Yes it does and that is why the founders created things the way they are. If you want to succeed in the US you can. My Lord how many government grants and programs are out there to help folks or just get a student loan and go to school?? Instead folks sit around and cry how nothing is fair. It's pathetic and even ore pathetic are those who want to steal more of our money to make these whiners happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM

28,145 posts, read 19,787,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

Be very careful what you wish for.

^^^Exactly!!

Anyone delighting in such news is quite short-sighted.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM

19,756 posts, read 8,071,973 times
Quote:
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin

And this is one of the reasons we are losing jobs. Everything is becoming automated and putting people out of work. I want to deal with real people. I hate calling my insurance company especially when I just have a simple question. It takes at least 10 minutes just to go through the process of verifying who I am. And god forbid I don't speak clear enough for the computer to understand and it gets confused Then I get mad and yell at it lol

Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And this is one of the reasons we are losing jobs. Everything is becoming automated and putting people out of work.
I love self serve. I can always do it faster if allowed to access and choose updates on my own account.

Horse and buggy drivers hated the car. Progress inevitably is about creative destruction, old jobs die, new ones are born. In 1983, Google had NO employees. Nor Linkedin. Nor Facebook.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM

15,357 posts, read 15,353,245 times
I love doing my shopping and ordering via non-human interface. JITB has these units in some of their California stores.......I love them, they work flawlessly! I am at the point where I try to use a store that has the U-Scan....that is one of my main considerations.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I love self serve. I can always do it faster if allowed to access and choose updates on my own account.

Horse and buggy drivers hated the car. Progress inevitably is about creative destruction, old jobs die, new ones are born. In 1983, Google had NO employees. Nor Linkedin. Nor Facebook.
Don't be nave, automation is changing vast sectors of employment and has the ability to make currently well paid professions scarce. What's going to be happen when you can talk to a computer who can diagnose and test you better than a team of board certified doctors?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM

19,756 posts, read 8,071,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Horse and buggy drivers hated the car. Progress inevitably is about creative destruction, old jobs die, new ones are born. [b]In 1983, Google had NO employees. Nor Linkedin. Nor Facebook.[/B]
I hate self serve because I love interacting with others. You have to have certain skills and education to work for these companies. And even then it's very hard to get hired. What automation is doing is taking away jobs from people that don't need skills or an education to do them. It's taking away jobs from the poor and the middle class.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Don't be nave, automation is changing vast sectors of employment and has the ability to make currently well paid professions scarce. What's going to be happen when you can talk to a computer who can diagnose and test you better than a team of board certified doctors?

Not sure, but it will be a long time before AI is truly evolved, and what you are mentioning is far more AI, far less automation.

In any event, progress is always good, even though every generation has found it scary.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,065,055 times
Well you best get a job that fixes the computers. Not hard to figure out unless you think nothing is fair and the world is out to get you and the government owes you something.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,975,428 times
Quote:
Actually my career is pretty secure and I won't be replaced by Wall-E anytime soon.
Famous last words.

The ranks of the long-term unemployed are full of 50-60 y.o.'s who thought their jobs were "pretty secure" and they were on the glide path to an easy retirement. Unless you are in a union-protected government job, there is no position in the private sector that's "pretty secure". Do not think for a nanosecond that your employer would hesitate to replace you with automation or offshore labor if it would mean an extra nickel in profits.

To "take pleasure in seeing a particularly troublesome group having Karma bite them in the ass", is only inviting karma to take a bite out of your ass. May you never have to find out firsthand what it means to be "overqualified" to work at the very positions you are belittling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies