Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,303,058 times

Advertisements

For those following, I have added KUchief to my ignore list. The conversations I have had with him aren't of value, so dont be surprised when I dont respond to him any further. Yes i do see his name there for a post, but all of the content is hidden unless I click it to show me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,928,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe you dont understand that business's compete. Or maybe you missed the part where my wife and I do own a business. You will lose your business if you pay more then the other guy. .
That is news to Starbucks, who pays more, and provides far better benefits than others in the industry. But, and this is what those clamoring for $15/hr fail to note, 90% of its competitors staff would NEVER get hired by Starbucks. The difference in staffs are startling, the Starbucks gang is generally more educated, and these jobs are steps onto better things in the future. You'll see most other coffee chains staffs doing other mundane, fast food jobs repeatedly.

So yes, folks, higher wages are often available, but they are not available to most seeking them protesting these fast food joints. They are after the premium quality employees of this industry.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,303,058 times
And if all the coffee places offered $15/hr by federal mandate...what would starbucks pay? I can guarantee you not $15.

But its kind of a interesting side note-some businesses seem to get past the idea of "pay the least" and are very successful. Others cant get past the "we make X extra if we pay them less" idea.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,961,938 times
Quote:
For those following, I have added KUchief to my ignore list. The conversations I have had with him aren't of value, so dont be surprised when I dont respond to him any further. Yes i do see his name there for a post, but all of the content is hidden unless I click it to show me.
Who cares hero. Why do you feel the need to announce this ignorance? Oh wait you want attention like a teenager never mind.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,961,938 times
Quote:
And if all the coffee places offered $15/hr by federal mandate...what would starbucks pay? I can guarantee you not $15.

But its kind of a interesting side note-some businesses seem to get past the idea of "pay the least" and are very successful. Others cant get past the "we make X extra if we pay them less" idea.
You libs can't get past the idea of "I'm not getting paid enough so I'll go get another job". Why is that? Rocket science it isn't. Just unreal.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,928,377 times
Quote:

Starbucks attracts a higher wage level clientele. They are not shopping lowest price, but that is a niche segment. The majority of the population do prefer lower prices, and that would not make it possible for a Dunkin, Krispy Kreme,etc to pay the higher wages.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,071,940 times
That's fine by me. It just means if I ever decide to work for a fast food chain again and I'd have to be extremely desperate...I'd be employed making the food and not dealing with the public...many of whom are incredibly rude...win/win I'd say

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,372,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You libs can't get past the idea of "I'm not getting paid enough so I'll go get another job". Why is that? Rocket science it isn't. Just unreal.
Because in many instances there aren't any "other jobs" available. It's like you neo-cons have completely missed what has happened to traditional middle class jobs in this country.

I guess you are in favor of the tax payers subsidizing corporate profits.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,299,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Because in many instances there aren't any "other jobs" available. It's like you neo-cons have completely missed what has happened to traditional middle class jobs in this country.

I guess you are in favor of the tax payers subsidizing corporate profits.
Those jobs require some level of education/training.
A HS diploma or GED doesn't cut it.

Only 33% of Americans 25-29 have a college degree.
Sure there are plenty entering college but they don't finish.

And that 33% is an increase over the years as well.
In this day and age not having a degree will leave many in dead end jobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/ed...rees.html?_r=0

Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,667,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What do you think your worth? Should your employer pay YOU what you think YOU are worth? Most think they are "worth" whatever they can get. That is the point you folks can't get. Hey I think I'm "worth" more than I'm making too but I'm not gonna whine and cry and strike and moan about it. I will get it if I work hard. Nobody wants to do that nowdays. They want it handed to em. You have your hand out with our dollars is the problem.
I am worth exactly as much as any other human being. What you probably mean is what my profession is worth.
As I said before, I never believed in that way of thinking. One person's life time is as precious as anyone else's. I don't deny that a physician should earn more than a burger flipper. Still, I think anyone working full-time should be able to lead a decent life on it, regardless of the job they do as long as they do it well.

I think those profit and productivity freaks are very unwise people, they don't have a clue of what life is about, and what it is not about.
It's no coincidence that Scientology, the cult of greed, was developed in the US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies