U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,532,855 times
Reputation: 7971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

The money is there, but it must be earned and not simply expected.
The majority of people earn way more than those 7 or 8 bucks an hour, and yet their work does not cause lines, either. Most people are simply exchangeable little wheels in the machinery. That is the gloomy reality.

And burger flippers do not just show up, they do their jobs.

If we were talking about part-time jobs, I might agree and say, get another part-time job if your income is not enough to make ends meet. But full-time jobs should enable a decent lifestyle, regardless of the nature of the jobs. If you are so interested in distancing yourself from those simple people, you can pay those higher up in the hierarchy even more, after all money is not limited as we know now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM
 
4,400 posts, read 2,927,338 times
Reputation: 2884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

The money is there, but it must be earned and not simply expected.
So you'd rather support them via taxes so that the business can profit more. Cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,534 posts, read 21,675,078 times
Reputation: 8592
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
`
You are a Luddite. Every time we figure out how to do anything cheaper and better, we are richer as a society.
Not if there's no benefit to most people. More profits for a few doesn't make society better off. When jobs are eliminated with technology, it means more unemployed people. Technology evolves but our society is not evolving with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 02:52 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,534 posts, read 21,675,078 times
Reputation: 8592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

The money is there, but it must be earned and not simply expected.
Without the burger flippers, mcdonalds would not exist as a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM
 
Location: San Diego
33,241 posts, read 30,551,288 times
Reputation: 17956
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Without the burger flippers, mcdonalds would not exist as a business.
And EBT and welfare wouldn't exist without........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Some Beach... Somewhere...
4,607 posts, read 3,884,056 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Without the burger flippers, mcdonalds would not exist as a business.
So? What's your point? That somehow makes the burger flippers who exist at this point somehow invaluable? Substitute any non-skilled position for burger flipper and the argument is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Some Beach... Somewhere...
4,607 posts, read 3,884,056 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So you'd rather support them via taxes so that the business can profit more. Cool.
The "support" functions within society need serious readjustment, but that's another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,104 posts, read 32,741,499 times
Reputation: 50345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
I did not read the link but I think this will take longer on the drive through line if they have one there.

Uh-oh, I just read it. You have to use a debit card and it will gather data on your eating habits. Maybe this info will be attached to your Obamacare medical record.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-11-2013 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: read link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,534 posts, read 21,675,078 times
Reputation: 8592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So? What's your point? That somehow makes the burger flippers who exist at this point somehow invaluable? Substitute any non-skilled position for burger flipper and the argument is the same.
Let the CEO's flip the burgers if they don't want to pay people enough to live on, without whom they'd have no business. Moreover, the taxpayers should not have to subsidize their profits via welfare because they refuse to pay more. People aren't mere objects or resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,662,024 times
Reputation: 27541
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Without the burger flippers, mcdonalds would not exist as a business.
There's plenty of workers to spread around.

It's a pretty high ratio of employers to employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top