U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM

20,135 posts, read 13,698,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The problem in the US is not that there is not enough money, but that some earn way too much and others way too little. And that "too" is an ideological question.
Deciding what wage to pay someone for doing a job that any 10 year old school kid can do is not ideological, it's one of market economics. If government forces me as an employer to pay an unfair wage to some kid, just to push a broom, or push shopping carts back into the stalls, I'll not hire the kid and more unemployed school kids will never learn basic jobs skills. However, I might have other employees now include sweeping the floor and pushing carts as a part of their assigned duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,976,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Let the CEO's flip the burgers if they don't want to pay people enough to live on, without whom they'd have no business.

People aren't mere objects or resources.
The CEOs time is best spent running and hopefully expanding the business. Employees are just fodder.

And all employees are resources first, no matter what the wage. My company pimps me out, uh, I mean bills my time at $xxx per hour. I get part of that as pay, and part as benefits. What remains is their profit. I bring in more than I cost. They get profit, I get full time employment and don't have to either seek clients nor do the paperwork involved. A burger flipper, similarly, has to bring in more value than he costs. It's just the way business works.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM

16,874 posts, read 22,055,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The CEOs time is best spent running and hopefully expanding the business. Employees are just fodder.

And all employees are resources first, no matter what the wage. My company pimps me out, uh, I mean bills my time at $xxx per hour. I get part of that as pay, and part as benefits. What remains is their profit. I bring in more than I cost. They get profit, I get full time employment and don't have to either seek clients nor do the paperwork involved. A burger flipper, similarly, has to bring in more value than he costs. It's just the way business works.
I don't buy into this mentality and neither should the country as a whole. This nation should have opposed corporations the way Jefferson wanted to early on.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,531,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone who is pro-jobs should not celebrate this. I intentionally do not go to self-service cash registers for this reason.
I do the same thing. I don't like the self swipers but if folks want to do what they are doing we will have to be trained as a society to adapt. Dumb folks.........I won't say who........will end up arguing with the one person who is stationed there over ten registers. Back in the "old" days ten folks held those jobs down. FORWARD!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a difference between shipping jobs to other countries so that other people can do them and replacing people because of technology.
Who do you think are building those registers? It aint Americans. So all those folks who are crying and whining about "greed" just shifted their job offshore. Thank Clinton. Oh and his wife is your folks hero. Guess where that will take us as a country when you start salivating about her being president which all you liberals will...........more down the gutter. Enjoy it as you liberals are destroying this country.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM

30,473 posts, read 19,251,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who do you think are building those registers? It aint Americans. So all those folks who are crying and whining about "greed" just shifted their job offshore. Thank Clinton. Oh and his wife is your folks hero. Guess where that will take us as a country when you start salivating about her being president which all you liberals will...........more down the gutter. Enjoy it as you liberals are destroying this country.
Okay Chief, things were going good until you went and accused Clinton of the NAFTA agreement.

Quote:
Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1986 among the three nations, the leaders met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992, to sign NAFTA. U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed it.
North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a difference between shipping jobs to other countries so that other people can do them and replacing people because of technology.
You don't get it lifer. These folks are shipping their own jobs offshore. They will be fired and a puter built by some clown in china will take their job. Hey you folks were all for it so I guess you get what you want............Rolling Stones were wrong. lol

Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don't take pleasure in needless suffering or misfortune. I do believe there are consequences for actions, and when people, or a group of people, expect others to bail them out due to unfavorable circumstances of their own creation, I take exception to such expectations.

People who expect society to take care of them when they have not made any contribution to that society nor prepared themselves for life, are not high on my list. This country offers far too many opportunities for anyone to fail.

I save compassion and charity for those who are truly in dire straits through no fault of their own.

$15 an hour for McJobs? A burger flipper union? Get real... or better yet, pull yourself up to a level where you don't need such. The answers are all around.
The problem is, unless you know them personally on an individual level, you wouldn't know why someone ended up in the gutter, whether they tripped and fell on hard times, or whether life just flushed them down the toilet.

The other thing is, most individuals I know of - even successful ones - make mistakes. They shouldn't be condemned just because they don't have a college education or an uncle in high places.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Okay Chief, things were going good until you went and accused Clinton of the NAFTA agreement.

North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh so are you going to say Clinton had nothing to do with NAFTA? I don't even look at wiki by the way because I could go in there and make **** up so it's a stupid site..........gives you general things but nothing worth a **** unless you uneducated.

Even so forget about Bush/Clinton whatever...........I'm tired of both names and families running our government..............but reality is who will be building those registers to run these stores? Hey WE will have to provide the service on the registers but the chinese or Indonesians will be slapping those things together and shipping em back over here. Why don't we do that here? Why is EVERYTHING built overseas? Oh because of the corp tax rate which liberals think they can stick it to the evil companies. Well we as a country are getting stuck.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It's really got nothing to do with Presidents Clinton, HW Bush, or even Reagan or Carter for that matter. Businesses innovate; they try to maximize the efficiency with which they do things, so they can squeeze more profits and return dividends to shareholders. I've often wondered sometimes whether I, as a member of a far more democratized stock market, am actually contributing to the very monster which is going to end up taking away my labor. Hell, I and everyone else probably are indeed feeding that Leviathon. However, I think it's pointless to try and reverse it - what will be, will be.

What I would like to see, though, is for people to openly embrace these innovations and the creations of wealth that they bring on the one hand, while at the same time not losing their sense of humanity and implicit social responsibilities on the other. I'm sorry, but while you 'non-liberals' probably have the economic liberalism part of this discussion right, you're getting the collective responsibility part completely wrong. You can't just imagine that you live behind a walled city. Your lives, our lives, affect and are affected by other individuals, and in some way or another, the energy affects us all in some way or another. I don't want - nor would I want my children - to live in a society in which we have an elite class of people living behind electric fences in a house full of security guards and dobermans in order to seal ourselves off from the wave of anger created by the kind of disparate society we're creating now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies