Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...the fast food giant is poised to add touchscreen kiosks in more than 7,000 of its restaurants in Europe in effort to replace actual, human cashiers.
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
They will need to guard them from the OWS hippies who will inevitably try to vandalize them.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Applebee's is putting tablets on all tables in all their restaurants by end of next year.
They had a 2 year pilot program and the customers loved it.

The main menu though will still be taken by a waiter/waitress.
But drinks, desserts and payment can be done though the tablet.

Others will see what Applebee's is doing and will follow suit.
Applebee's CEO said their intent was not to replace waiters though.
Time will tell.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

Be very careful what you wish for.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

I take pleasure in seeing a particularly troublesome group having Karma bite them in the ass, in large part due to their whining and sense of entitlement.

Did you similarly mourn the loss of the buggy whip manufacturing sector? Typewriter repairmen? COBOL programmers?

Actually my career is pretty secure and I won't be replaced by Wall-E anytime soon.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Technology has completely eliminated some sectors.
The writing is on the wall.

Business is not concerned with "floundering jobs".
They are concerned with making money.

All these FF places didn't put their dollar menus in place out of charity.
They did it because they were losing customers and had to get them back.
How much profit do you think comes out of dollar menu items ?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I take pleasure in seeing a particularly troublesome group having Karma bite them in the ass, in large part due to their whining and sense of entitlement.

While I think the people striking to make $15 an hour are foolios, I don't think they necessarily represent every fast food worker this response will screw out of a job.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Technology has completely eliminated some sectors.
The writing is on the wall.

Business is not concerned with "floundering jobs".
They are concerned with making money.

All these FF places didn't put their dollar menus in place out of charity.
They did it because they were losing customers and had to get them back.
How much profit do you think comes out of dollar menu items ?
None, if any. They make their money from fries and Coke.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Guess what?

McDonalds and others will deploy the touch screens and other technology no matter how much they are paying their workers.

Even if they only paid their workers $5 an hour.....the touch screens would still be cheaper.

They are not in business to supply jobs.....they are in business to make money. Let's not forget that.

Anyone who believes this is happening because of recent efforts to raise their worker's pay scale is just plain gullible.

Their plans to replace workers with technology have always been there, the recent upheaval about raising wages is just a happy accident......making it look like they were somehow forced into it.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:

`
OMG! You are so right!

Let's outlaw earthmoving equipment so men can have jobs using shovels. Eureka! I just figured out something better! Let them use teaspoons instead of shovels! Jobs galore, we will all be rich.

/sarcasm. You are a Luddite. Every time we figure out how to do anything cheaper and better, we are richer as a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies