Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Workers need to earn money on the basis of their work. Workers are not beggars or leeches living on the welfare system.
And $15/hour for taking FF orders should be our new "minimum" wage for unskilled work ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And $15/hour for taking FF orders should be our new "minimum" wage for unskilled work ?
Possibly, minimum wage hasn't been keeping up with inflation.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:26 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Quote:
10 Dollars/hour is not an impossible figure. The last time Minimum wage was gradually changed from 5.15 to 7.25, I dont think all Walmart and McDonalds in USA closed down. I also dont think that their profits suffered massively due to last increase in minimum wage.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
10 Dollars/hour is not an impossible figure. The last time Minimum wage was gradually changed from 5.15 to 7.25, I dont think all Walmart and McDonalds in USA closed down. I also dont think that their profits suffered massively due to last increase in minimum wage.
That was over several years. It didn't happen overnight.

Obama has proposed $10.XX min wage hike over 3 years as well.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Workers need to earn money on the basis of their work. Workers are not beggars or leeches living on the welfare system.
Exactly, Americans should be grateful that a lot of people still bother to do low-paid jobs in the first place.
Oftentimes jobs that seem simple are actually exhausting when you do them the whole day, every day. For instance I have a lot of respect for the people working at supermarkets.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
That was over several years. It didn't happen overnight.

Obama has proposed $10.XX min wage hike over 3 years as well.
So Obama is proposing a minimum wage hike over several years and that is bad?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
`
OMG! You are so right!

Let's outlaw earthmoving equipment so men can have jobs using shovels. Eureka! I just figured out something better! Let them use teaspoons instead of shovels! Jobs galore, we will all be rich.

/sarcasm. You are a Luddite. Every time we figure out how to do anything cheaper and better, we are richer as a society.
Yeah and lets not forget there will now be well paying technology jobs to produce those screens and computers and their support systems. Electricians and tech people to install them/..etc

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
With the lack of grey matter of many McD employees (and other fast food restaurants) an order not in the value menu will totally confuse them. In the late 1980s I worked fast food. Register had the food names and the cooks had to memorize the order. Today the cashier looks at a photo (since so many can't read) and the cooks have a screen showing the order and they still get it wrong more often than 10 or more years ago. Might be the weed they smoke on the job.
all medicinal....I'm sure

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
Hmmm, jobs are continually being phased out and replaced with technological advancements. And this is only the beginning! But the Obama administration would have us believe that we need to grant amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants? With these things happening, how and where are people going to find the means to support themselves?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
Anyone who is pro-jobs should not celebrate this. I intentionally do not go to self-service cash registers for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies