U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Location: 22 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
23,703 posts, read 13,253,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not when you factor in all of the benefits - the BAH, health insurance, re-enlistment bonuses...
uhm..yes they are underpaid..even when you factor in those 'benefits'

1. most 'other' workers get similar bennies
2. a married private with one kid is still only making $1200 a month base pay (the monthly pay for a private when I joined was $450)...(single living in the barracks wont get BAH)...wow he gets a housing allowance of $700-1800 a month (depending on location) THAT ONLY covers the cost of the AVERAGE rent in the AREA...and still has all the 'other' costs associated with living in society (ie electric bill, water/sewer bill, cable, cell phone, car, clothes etc)

3. bonus's only are 'one' time payments (averaging every 4 years)

4 health ins that is constantly being cut back on

5. he/she works for a heck of a lot more hours than the average civilian

soldiers are underpaid...

even at the higher levels (middle and upper management) we earn a heck of a lot less than the snivilling civilians out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 PM

41,505 posts, read 50,003,116 times
No 'effin wonder they make us turn in our guns when we leave the service. That there is some help available compared to the time I served is and improvement. The civilians always disparage vets after they have used us up. They just want us to go away until they need our kids to fight their next war. FWIW - 'Nam River Rat '66-67.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM

16,553 posts, read 11,173,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
vets dont deserve the bennies they get.

they arnt forced to go to war. its the career they chose.

if it was up to me the VA would be eliminated. no special privileges.
But you feel that lazy people who CHOOSE not to get skill deserve a living wage and other benefits they didn't work for?
At least Vets did something for those benefits unlike the aforementioned group.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM

16,553 posts, read 11,173,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
No 'effin wonder they make us turn in our guns when we leave the service. That there is some help available compared to the time I served is and improvement. The civilians always disparage vets after they have used us up. They just want us to go away until they need our kids to fight their next war. FWIW - 'Nam River Rat '66-67.
I agree with what you said here. I come from a long line of miltary family members. I didn't serve though. Thank you for your service Greg!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

10,417 posts, read 12,597,966 times
Veterans homeless, Veterans having their food security compromised=Unacceptable. The poor in general get poorer and have more roadblocks put in front of them to move up in life it seems.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM

47,559 posts, read 25,073,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the military is still way underpaid compared to the civilian population..yes they need rasies 'a little more than inflation' to at least catch up

uhm korea...Vietnam .....

yep you missed it alrighty
They make plenty of money and benefits. They are not underpaid by any stretch. With their housing allowance, health care, 20 year retirement, cheap life insurance, and food sustenance pay, they make damn good money.

Korea and Vietnam aren't wars fought on.behalf of the United States. We weren't threatened by communism.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,214,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm..yes they are underpaid..even when you factor in those 'benefits'

1. most 'other' workers get similar bennies
2. a married private with one kid is still only making $1200 a month base pay (the monthly pay for a private when I joined was $450)...(single living in the barracks wont get BAH)...wow he gets a housing allowance of $700-1800 a month (depending on location) THAT ONLY covers the cost of the AVERAGE rent in the AREA...and still has all the 'other' costs associated with living in society (ie electric bill, water/sewer bill, cable, cell phone, car, clothes etc)

3. bonus's only are 'one' time payments (averaging every 4 years)

4 health ins that is constantly being cut back on

5. he/she works for a heck of a lot more hours than the average civilian

soldiers are underpaid...

even at the higher levels (middle and upper management) we earn a heck of a lot less than the snivilling civilians out there
You throw a lot of stuff out there with no proof. 91% of military is non-combat. Compare the pay of those guys to someone down at Walmart. Military pay is way above the pay in the past two cities I have lived in. The military... like people in healthcare never felt the recession. My son in law was making $23 an hour before the collapse and after it and two years of being unemployed he is back to $19. By the way he is lucky. Ever live around a military base?...they have a lot of money to throw away, prostitution, gambling, drugs, booze, etc...Quit complaining about the civilians they are the ones picking up the tab. Every man, woman, and child pays $3,000 to support our massive defense-military budget.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 17 days ago)

54,983 posts, read 38,879,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the only reason why i look down on them is because i know the type of people who join.

most were going nowhere and this was a last resort.

i do not buy that the majority of people are in the military for "love of the country"

this is a paycheck to the vast majority of them.
Are you really that unaware of how many disabled veterans of the Vietnam War still need help?

And many didn't 'join', they were conscripted, often despite the fact they were going somewhere.

Better we cut the federal benefits of those who involve us in the unnecessary wars of choice that bring no benefit to the US in the first place.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,262,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I eat people like you for breakfast punk.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM

903 posts, read 577,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
These must be the no good leeches that conservatives are always talking about, AKA "The 47%", AKA communists, AKA welfare queens!

Afghanistan and Iraq veterans are doing pretty badly in our economy. Their unemployment rate is 9.7%, their average wage is $10,000 lower than the general population, and for female veterans it's $10,000 lower than males.

The Coming Food Stamp Cut Will Hit 900,000 Veterans | ThinkProgress
Think they can still shoot? Bet they can//////
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies