U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,000,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Let me get this straight...in this land of opportunity, those who've attained success are viewed (by some) as a barrier to reducing the nation's income inequality. Sounds like more proof that the looming agenda is to take even more from the producers to give to the non-producers. Un...believable.

Hold onto your wallets, folks.

Reading Is Fundamental. It's not "those who have attained success" who are viewed by some as a barrier to reducing the nation's income inequality - it's the subset of those with a "sense of economic fragility".

Who are the producers? Burger flippers actually produce something. What do day traders and slumlords produce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,000,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i didn't say it was possessions.

i said it was wealth

the synonym is right there in the definition

you're just wrong, you can stop digging the hole deeper any time now

A wealthy person is rich but a rich person is not necessarily wealthy.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM

22,769 posts, read 25,401,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
you, like the author, don't know what either of these words mean

Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,158,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There wouldn't be a rich guy if there aren't working class people paying for his services or products.

There wouldn't be working class people if rich people didn't start the business to create the products or services to begin with. See, a poor person can't just create a job or a product to sell out of thin air. They don't have the resources to do so, they NEED people with money or they starve. The rich person doesn't need anyone in particular, the labor pool is pretty much unlimited, where as people with the resources to create jobs, products and services isn't.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM

11,835 posts, read 9,943,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That has nothing to do with today's reality of Billionaire hedge fund managers and middle class Doctors and Engineers. Should everyone just go into finance and abandon all other aspects of society allowing the superficial to dominate and real world to crumble?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, If they choose to.
Haha, good luck with that. Most of the financial industry is an illusion-money is created out of thin air several times over-Quantitive easing, fractional reserve lending, derivatives, credit default swaps, etc.

If you think we can properly function in society without people that actually do things and produce things and don't merely manipulate money backed by nothing-Doctors, Scientists, Engineers, Teachers, Construction Workers, Farmers, etc-I don't even know what to tell you.

You are obviously heavily invested in our corrupted and crumbling system.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,228,090 times
Quote:
But earning $250,000 or more still puts them in only the top 2% of earners. And Temporarily earning that kind of money puts you no where near the big boys club and allows you no influence.
Ok so please tell us at what level are we allowed to be happy?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM

11,835 posts, read 9,943,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Ok so please tell us at what level are we allowed to be happy?
Huh? I make about $50,000 a year and am very happy. Money certainly doesn't dictate happiness but it can jumpstart it.
I think people are truly pathetic and sad when they are never happy or satisfied and only want more.

I'm just saying some at the very top (networth in the hundreds of Millions) do not do very much for society yet they have the power to control our elected officials and prevent progress and change. That doesn't sit right with me in a country that is supposed to be "we the people" and a model for Democracy across the World.

Again, why should a Hedgefund Manager make more than a Scientist or Doctor or anyone else that is benefiting society as a whole and not just manipulating money and profiting off the historic collusion between The Federal Reserve and their "too big to fail" Banks?

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-11-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

5,767 posts, read 2,188,115 times
Quote:
Huh? I make about $50,000 a year and am very happy.
No you're not. See the rest of your post below...
Quote:
I'm just saying some at the very top (networth in the hundreds of Millions) do not do very much for society yet they have the power to control our elected officials and prevent progress and change. That doesn't sit right with me in a country that is supposed to be "we the people" and a model for Democracy across the World.
  1. How do you know they don't do very much for society?
  2. The power to control an elected official starts at the elected official's greed and willingness to sell their legislative/executive power to the highest bidder. Killing the bidders doesn't solve that particular problem.
  3. Government prevents progress and change, not private enterprise. "Governments can do little good and a lot of bad" is one of the Ten Rules of Economics.
  4. The US isn't a democracy. It's a federal constitutional republic that uses indirect pseudo-democratic elections to elect representation to the government. Democracy is mob rule. Plus it is ruled by two parties. We are one of the few industrialized nations of the world where only two parties hold sway at every single level of government.
  5. And wealthy people "don't sit right with you?" Back to my point about you not being happy.
Quote:
Again, why should a Hedgefund Manager make more than a Scientist or Doctor or anyone else that is benefiting society as a whole and not just manipulating money and profiting off the historic collusion between The Federal Reserve and their "too big to fail" Banks?
  1. You don't know what hedgefund managers do.
  2. The market decides what a hedge fund manager, doctor and scientist get paid, and none of the above would work for their respective salaries if they didn't choose to.
  3. Properly funded pensions that actually meet their obligations in perpetuity do so because of hedge fund managers. Do you know what a hedge fund even is, and why it matters to junk like pension funding? They do more for more people than you think in your "must heal the sick to have value" worldview.

But yeah...you're happy.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM

38,197 posts, read 19,244,851 times
Quote:
Reading Is Fundamental. It's not "those who have attained success" who are viewed by some as a barrier to reducing the nation's income inequality - it's the subset of those with a "sense of economic fragility".

Who are the producers? Burger flippers actually produce something. What do day traders and slumlords produce?
I'm a producer but I am not a day trader or a slum lord.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM

38,197 posts, read 19,244,851 times
Quote:
Good post. Sometimes freemkt I see hope in you. You are right on the crest of thinking like a person who is doing well in life unfortunately with your other post when you buy into democratic views I see you keep falling backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies