Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Only on this board is this seen as a "bad" thing. More people are earning $250k? Oh the horror. We must put a stop to this before the poor seem even more poor!
Help me with the math here Mr. Anesthesia. If only 2% of our population earns over $250K, how does that equate to 1 in 5 or 20%?

You wouldn't give a 2% inspired concentration of Forane and document it as a 20% concentration, would you?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Making $200K a year in salary is the new "rich".
Boy have we lowered our standards.

Take away that salary though and they are not "rich" anymore.

The truly "rich" don't depend on salaries.
I know, I was surprised when Obama called $200k rich. Then within the same sentence he called them millionaire and billionaires.

Obama and his followers need sent back to 7th grade. Obama did admit he wasn't good at math and it got too hard at 7th grade.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:27 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Income inequality is a bad thing, earning more money is not a bad thing.
Do you think all humans are equal?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Old money contributed more of it to society.
New money isn't doing that.
I don't know what you mean by "contributed", but I am not focusing on those names to focus on those people. I focused on those names because it captures a time in American economic history of great inequality, and what followed.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No economic system works to provide equality or opportunity. Look, in fact what you see in America is huge amounts of wealth accumulation at the top we know their names today

Vanderbilt, Astor, Rockefeller, Mellon, Morgan, Carnegie, you know the Gilded age. And that age produced huge inequality, huge worker abuses.

We can not get so enamored of an economic system that we forget people.

What capitalism unchecked always does is produce tremendous amounts of wealth for very few people. Every where capitalism is tried that is what occurs.

The US government and businesses, and citizens modified and regulated capitalism to counteract the tendency of capitalism to produce staggering amounts of inequality.
The few accumulating wealth is not a problem. In the past capitalism has provided wealth for the majority of the population, but that has changed.

Jefferson knew the dangers of unregulated banking:

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

This is exactly what has happened. The unregulated banking and the corporations which grew up around them sucked the wealth out of the pockets of the regular people. He called the banks 'swindlers' because they always found a way to make money off of others.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "contributed", but I am not focusing on those names to focus on those people. I focused on those names because it captures a time in American economic history of great inequality, and what followed.
Then maybe you should read up on how old money contributed to society compared to today's new money.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
What capitalism unchecked always does is produce tremendous amounts of wealth for very few people. Every where capitalism is tried that is what occurs.
Psssstttt…I'm pretty sure that's what they want…..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Help me with the math here Mr. Anesthesia. If only 2% of our population earns over $250K, how does that equate to 1 in 5 or 20%?

You wouldn't give a 2% inspired concentration of Forane and document it as a 20% concentration, would you?
What a strange question for me. I neither wrote the article, or posted it in this thread. Wouldn't that be a better question for either of those two people?

But if I had to guess, I would say that the author is claiming that 20% will at some time in their lives, make the equivalent of $250k, while the 2% is the percentage earning it for a given year. That 20% still seems high, but, whatever.

BTW, I couldn't purposely give 20% Isoflurane even if I wanted to, at least not with any accuracy. Other than having abandoned Isoflurane at least 5 years ago at my facility, if memory serves, the vaporizer doesn't even come close to that level of output under normal operating conditions.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-12-2013 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Explain to us this exploitation you think is taking place. Thanks.
The exploitation is the entire corporate hierarchy system model. Based in control and debt. Behind a veil lacking in transparency and personal accountability.
Where have you been? Do you not see how the banks and govt are transferring wealth? The truly wealthy, even admit it. It is designed to funnel wealth.
There are discussions all over. LOL.
Have We Reached Peak Federal Reserve?

Revealed - the capitalist network that runs the world ...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
As long as they hoard the wealth and hog things like healthcare (a human right) for themselves then America will not be voting on their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies