Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,817,814 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul at African American Engagement Office Opening, MI 12-06-13 - YouTube

hilarious. you boys got a long ways to go.

Largely White Audience Turns Out To Hear Rand Paul Speak At African-American Outreach Event
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
I think it is progressive of him to open the office in Detroit that he was there to promote. The article did state that the previous, short speech he gave at the Livernois office was attended primarily by black Americans.

Also, it was mentioned how he went to Howard earlier this year so I don't see why the criticism. I think it is a good thing that the GOP is recognizing that it is a good idea to encourage inclusivity amongst blacks and other minorities in America and if anything, this shows a step forward within the GOP.

If there, I may have gone just to see what he had to say. I thought it was a good thing when he went to Howard and I think it is a good thing he hired a black person to run the office there. I also think he may need a consultant (I should contact him LOL) as I remember some of the rather silly comments he made at Howard as if black students at an HBCU didn't know that Lincoln was a republican lol. Also that Jim Crow perpetuators were Democrats. I can understand if he were speaking to an uneducated crowd, but he was on a college campus and that is one of the most laughable "talking points" that conservative GOPers like to throw out there as if they were the first to "discover" this. But all in all, I don't have a huge gripe with Rand Paul over race, maybe with his dad due to his racist past, but I don't like a lot of the libertarianism in Rand Paul, but I'm sure he can sway some black voters with some good economic policy to at least give him a listen at times.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,817,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think it is progressive of him to open the office in Detroit that he was there to promote. The article did state that the previous, short speech he gave at the Livernois office was attended primarily by black Americans.

Also, it was mentioned how he went to Howard earlier this year so I don't see why the criticism. I think it is a good thing that the GOP is recognizing that it is a good idea to encourage inclusivity amongst blacks and other minorities in America and if anything, this shows a step forward within the GOP.
I created a thread awhile ago praising Paul for going to Howard.

Paul is the only white male you see at least attempting to engage blacks. The rest are afraid and stick with there lily whites.

I just find it funny how an engagement ceremony for blacks is attended by an all white audience.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,029,172 times
They don't know who he is. Very few people in this country have ever heard of the guy outside of his own state.

Look people...most Americans aren't as political as you guys are. They aren't obsessed with this stuf 24/7 like you. They have real lives, and don't watch Fox News/MSNBC 24 hours a day.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They don't know who he is. Very few people in this country have ever heard of the guy outside of his own state.

Look people...most Americans aren't as political as you guys are. They aren't obsessed with this stuf 24/7 like you. They have real lives, and don't watch Fox News/MSNBC 24 hours a day.
Wanted to agree with this too.

I doubt he did much marketing of this event either. But most people are busy working and taking care of their families to go hear some guy they've never heard of. Hopefully his office in Detroit will do what it is suppose to do - outreach and then people will know who he is and he'll get a better response in the future.

FWIW, I wonder how he is funding this office or if it is something that the Republican Party is funding.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM

77,804 posts, read 59,974,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

^^^^This.

Besides, having the GOP put forth some effort is never a bad thing for black voters.

For the most part, the black vote is taken for granted as a foregone conclusion so even the democratic party often just gives them lip-service because why waste political capital keeping loyalists happy?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times
I congratulate the GOP for making the effort.

One would think that the residents of Detroit would be open to any and all new ideas considering 60 years of Democratic intransigence has taken the city into bankruptcy.

Oh well. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Obviously.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,970,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
hilarious. you boys got a long ways to go.
Maybe it's not the GOP who have a 'long way to go' in race relations but the black people who keep closing their minds off because the DemoKKKrats have brainwashed you into thinking the GOP are hopelessly racist?

Many black folk didn't give Mitt Romney a chance when he spoke at the NAACP, they closed off to him with their arms folded as soon as he walked on stage.

He's never said or done anything racist but you assume he's racist because he's a Republican. That's classic Democrat propaganda you've been brainwashed your whole life with.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times
There was a similar reaction from Democrats when George W. Bush tried to put black Republicans on stage at the 2000 national convention. Democrats were chortling that there were more blacks on stage than in the audience. Seems to me that if you were truly in favor of progress on race issue, you would welcome the efforts of even the opposition party to advance the cause. Democrats don't seem to roll that way.

The GOP is moving ahead, but it is going to be a long slow process. A record number of blacks ran for Congress in 2010, but republicans still aren't getting many black votes. These shifts take a generation, not an election cycle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us...acks.html?_r=0

Whenever I see a tea party candidate like Mia Love, Erika Harold, Allen West, or Lisa Fritch, I make it a point to send them a few bucks. You should too. Hopefully within my lifetime I will see a GOP that is more diverse.

Pres. Obama got about 82 percent of the combined black, Hispanic, and Asian vote. Blacks, Hispanics and Asians are not inherently more liberal than whites. If Romney had been able to reduce that number to just 70%, he would have won the election.

The GOP has to address and solve this problem if we are going to stop Democrats from spending the country into oblivion, and I believe that we will.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 PM

13,767 posts, read 5,499,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I just find it funny how an engagement ceremony for blacks is attended by an all white audience.
I find it sad. Not because a libertarian like me finds anything remotely redeeming about the current GOP, minus Rand Paul and Justin Amash, but because 95% of the black voters won't hear anything besides the welfare state victimology rhetoric, and tune out everything else. Essentially, they let the DNC and the media keep them captive as house slaves on Unlce Sam's plantation, and they don't want to hear from anybody telling them anything that might upset the master of the platation, or their relative comfort level.

Doesn't matter to me, because libertarians lose every election a Republican or Democrat wins, but the black voter rewarding their own destruction with 95% loyalty is a sad thing for them, and they aren't even aware of it.

Not much funny about that imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies