Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Maybe it's not the GOP who have a 'long way to go' in race relations but the black people who keep closing their minds off because the DemoKKKrats have brainwashed you into thinking the GOP are hopelessly racist?

Many black folk didn't give Mitt Romney a chance when he
spoke at the NAACP, they closed off to him with their arms folded as soon as he walked on stage.

He's never said or done anything racist but you assume he's racist because he's a Republican. That's classic Democrat propaganda you've been brainwashed your whole life with.
110% on the mark. I've been saying this for the longest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think it is progressive of him to open the office in Detroit that he was there to promote. The article did state that the previous, short speech he gave at the Livernois office was attended primarily by black Americans.

Also, it was mentioned how he went to Howard earlier this year so I don't see why the criticism. I think it is a good thing that the GOP is recognizing that it is a good idea to encourage inclusivity amongst blacks and other minorities in America and if anything, this shows a step forward within the GOP.

If there, I may have gone just to see what he had to say. I thought it was a good thing when he went to Howard and I think it is a good thing he hired a black person to run the office there. I also think he may need a consultant (I should contact him LOL) as I remember some of the rather silly comments he made at Howard as if black students at an HBCU didn't know that Lincoln was a republican lol. Also that Jim Crow perpetuators were Democrats. I can understand if he were speaking to an uneducated crowd, but he was on a college campus and that is one of the most laughable "talking points" that conservative GOPers like to throw out there as if they were the first to "discover" this. But all in all, I don't have a huge gripe with Rand Paul over race, maybe with his dad due to his racist past, but I don't like a lot of the libertarianism in Rand Paul, but I'm sure he can sway some black voters with some good economic policy to at least give him a listen at times.
Where I disagree with you here is with the reason behind the GOP’s approach. They are trying to get votes based on their current platform. To do this they are trying to convince blacks to vote against their interest.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
To me it's a good thing that the GOP is attempting to make an effort to reach out to the AA community. The usual assumption is that the AA voting block is solidly Democratic, but it doesn't have to be that way. Further, it's ridiculous to assume that the only way AA's will show up to a political rally is if the content is something that explictly panders to them like affirmative action. The rally is set up for ideas on how to improve business prospects for Detroit...this should be an issue of concern for all residents of the Motor City...white or black. Now, I'm not a Rand fan necessarily, but he is working to advocate a plan to help Detroit. The city is in economic shambles and it has been the victim of horrid mismangement for decades. Even if you dislike the idea's that Rand puts forth...they're worth a try because "Business as Usual" in Detroit ain't working worth d*ck.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Where I disagree with you here is with the reason behind the GOP’s approach. They are trying to get votes based on their current platform. To do this they are trying to convince blacks to vote against their interest.
No they aren't.

Why is financial independence, lower taxes, decreased reliance on government services, and personal accountability against the interest of African Americans?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
No they aren't.

Why is financial independence, lower taxes, decreased reliance on government services, and personal accountability against the interest of African Americans?
Short answer AZcardinal, it isn't. I have no issue with the items you've listed! I have no problem with that part of the Republican platform... What I have a problem with is obstructionism, Tea Party radicalism, opposition to universal healthcare, "sole" supply side economics, opposition to progressive taxation, birtherism and the list goes on. Not to mention the new southern strategy in conservative politics...

If the Republican platform was just about financial independence it wouldn't be controversial.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
The invitation or announcement probably had 'white devil' on it.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I find it sad. Not because a libertarian like me finds anything remotely redeeming about the current GOP, minus Rand Paul and Justin Amash, but because 95% of the black voters won't hear anything besides the welfare state victimology rhetoric, and tune out everything else. Essentially, they let the DNC and the media keep them captive as house slaves on Unlce Sam's plantation, and they don't want to hear from anybody telling them anything that might upset the master of the platation, or their relative comfort level.
If the condescending, insulting attitude conveyed above is typical of the GOP leadership or rank & file, the Republicans are already doomed from the beginning in any effort to reach out to African Americans.

If you really want someone's vote, you don't put them down, you gotta give them a real reason or alternative to vote for you. This isn't it.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Just the reverse. 50 years of liberalism has devastated the black community in so many ways. People like Bill Cosby and James Meeks have figured it out; why can't you?
?A decent education? - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Maybe it's not the GOP who have a 'long way to go' in race relations but the black people who keep closing their minds off because the DemoKKKrats have brainwashed you into thinking the GOP are hopelessly racist?

... He's never said or done anything racist but you assume he's racist because he's a Republican. That's classic Democrat propaganda you've been brainwashed your whole life with.
Are you saying African-Americans are easy to brainwash?

If your attitude is typical of the Republican leadership, then I find it easy to believe why the vast and overwhelming majority have flocked to the "DemoKKKrats" as you call them. Not only them, but Asians, Hispanics, Jews, LGBTs, women, younger voters, etc. as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I congratulate the GOP for making the effort.

One would think that the residents of Detroit would be open to any and all new ideas considering 60 years of Democratic intransigence has taken the city into bankruptcy.

Oh well. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Obviously.
I just told you....they DON'T KNOW WHO THE HELL HE IS! Geezus.

You guys are obsessed with politics. Most Americans ARE NOT! And they have other/better things to do than listen to Rand Paul. They actually lead real lives and have other interests.

And even if they did recognize him, they're under no obligation to listen to him.

He's making an outreach. Fine. But so what? A lot of politicians are reaching out st any given time. Why should he be given special consideration? He's not even a Michigander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies