Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times

Advertisements

In all the discussion of a livable wage and the minimum wage law, I never see any discussion about how well the poorly educated folks who worked in a factory did in the 1950s to 1970s.

I have a number of relatives who graduated from high school went straight to the factory and made a nice middle class income which would be similar to $20 an hour today. They were not trained in anything, they just did grunt unskilled labor.

If these guys could make such nice incomes in the 50s, 60s and 70s, why can't restaurant workers and retail clerks, who come from a similar background, be paid well today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,578 times
Because no one would pay $18 for an extra value meal.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In all the discussion of a livable wage and the minimum wage law, I never see any discussion about how well the poorly educated folks who worked in a factory did in the 1950s to 1970s.

I have a number of relatives who graduated from high school went straight to the factory and made a nice middle class income which would be similar to $20 an hour today. They were not trained in anything, they just did grunt unskilled labor.

If these guys could make such nice incomes in the 50s, 60s and 70s, why can't restaurant workers and retail clerks, who come from a similar background, be paid well today?
Because the unskilled blue collar work was physically demanding, dirty and somewhat dangerous(some of it very dangerous). So no it was not unfair. Next?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Because a lot fo the posters are stuck in the 50's and 60's, and dont understand just how different it is today. Thats part of what drives the rights hatred of the minimum wage increase. You see these people often going on about how fast food isnt a permament job, and just go get something better.

Thats because back then, that was a perfectly valid answer. Because back then a willingness to work hard made a massive difference. The manufacturing lines didnt require a degree, and hiring was often based on (minus the usual "I know a guy" thats always been around) wether you had worked somewhere before. A work history=employed. And making good money. Today? Today is different. And they just dont comprehend it at a gut level. So they make arguments that match their views based on their experiences back then.

Who stayed at mcdonalds back then? Losers. Generally ones that went form job to job. Fast food employed people who had no drive. No desire for improvement. Slackers.

Find a slacker at Mcdonalds today.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Because the unskilled blue collar work was physically demanding, dirty and somewhat dangerous(some of it very dangerous). So no it was not unfair. Next?
Unskilled blue collar work today pays minimum wage. Go work at a chicken processing plant. It pays minimum wage, has a surprisingly high injury rate (some truly horrific injuries BTW), Its dirty and nasty.

Next?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Yeah, when I was a kid in college, loading trucks after school, each loader would handle 30 tons a night. And by "handle" I mean pick it up off a pallet, and put it on the truck, 60 pounds at a time. The hard jobs from back then just do not exist today.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Part of the problem I think, is that our perception of what is "real, valuable work" has changed.
Now we extravagantly reward people who do nothing more laborious than moving numbers around in the ether while those who do actual physical and/or mind-numbingly tedious work are treated like dirt.

It used to be perfectly acceptable to not go to college, to not aspire to be a manager but to simply want to do a good, honest day's work for a wage that allowed one to pay bills and raise a family.

Now, not so much.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
A blue collar worker is NOT unskilled. They are paid well. I hired a plumber and an electrician a couple of weeks ago. Both owned their own business and I paid both about $80 an hour!

On the other hand, minimum wage jobs were never intended to be full time employment that would support a family, particularly in high cost urban locales. We are now a society with an ever growing pool of unskilled and poorly educated labor and the liberal logic dictates that we try to solve all these issues by paying people more for a job that does not command a premium wage.

I wish these folks would simply come out and ask to be paid 6 figures and end the charade of the disappearing middle class talking point. If you don’t like what you get paid, go work at a fast food joint that is run by a liberal; I am sure that they will pay you at least 50K per with full benefits, because the liberals are fighting for the middle class!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It was fair but they didn't have a president encouraging many millions of impoverished third world cheap workers to come illegally and grab up millions of jobs.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Unskilled blue collar work today pays minimum wage. Go work at a chicken processing plant. It pays minimum wage, has a surprisingly high injury rate (some truly horrific injuries BTW), Its dirty and nasty.

Next?
And that's because to the up to 30 milliion illegals minimum wage in the US is beyond their wildest dreams, in their country they would be lucky to get 50 cents an hour for this work. Immigration laws are not being enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies