Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which social gap is wider? Whites & Blacks? Men & Women?
The divide between whites & blacks 37 62.71%
The divide between men & women 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not "qualifying or quantifying" his blackness. As far as US society goes, he's black.

But as far as his psychological adjustment to that fact goes, he did not have to grow up dealing with being black in Hawaii as he would have if he'd grown up on the Mainland.

My own children were born overseas and grew up on military bases overseas--and also went to school in Hawaii just like Obama--and they both suffered a huge amount of culture shock adjusting to being black in Mainland society, which had not been a factor in their early lives overseas and in Hawaii.

My daughter had no idea her features were not pretty when all the other girls had black hair and brown skin. She didn't "discover" otherwise until she came to the mainland.

I have no doubt Obama had to go through the same adustment.
I must say that I don't agree with you. I lived in Hawaii and knew lots of locals and African Americans. They know the "N" word out there too. As far as the features and looks part, I'm sure things are different for women than they are men - and that speaks to other parts of the discussion on this thread.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I must say that I don't agree with you. I lived in Hawaii and knew lots of locals and African Americans. They know the "N" word out there too. As far as the features and looks part, I'm sure things are different for women than they are men - and that speaks to other parts of the discussion on this thread.
The entire dynamic of racism is different when no one group owns the demographic majority and the most desired culture is held by one of the smallest ethnic groups.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The entire dynamic of racism is different when no one group owns the demographic majority and the most desired culture is held by one of the smallest ethnic groups.
Yes and no. Yes, everyone still felt that being haole was the most desirable thing to be, and it was them who were a minority with a disproportionate amount of power. On the other hand, the one thing everyone in Hawaii could agree on is that they all felt disdainful of black people.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,589 times
The ones who rule and the rest of us. It is the only one which matters, the rent is distraction.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Yes, everyone still felt that being haole was the most desirable thing to be, and it was them who were a minority with a disproportionate amount of power. On the other hand, the one thing everyone in Hawaii could agree on is that they all felt disdainful of black people.
Yeah, nobody likes us. But as I said, the entire dynamic of racism changes when no group is the majority--and it's nowhere near as oppressive when everyone else is someone's n----, including haoles.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'd go on a limb and say neither; the divide seems larger between Hispanics and Blacks, Blacks and Asians, etc. at least in the larger metros in Texas. Meanwhile, Whites congregate with and even marry all these other races.
Socioeconomics is a greater divide than race or skin color.

Small towns are probably a different story, I'm sure.
Uh; "Hispanic" ain't even a race; some are "white". Too; most Asians except Indians from India ain't real dark either.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
On the East Coast, there is less of a divide between Blacks (African American or Caribbean) and Hispanics, as they have historically lived in the same neighborhoods and have some overlapping of race and culture.
Depends in the "Hispanic" I guess. Tho many Puerto Ricans and most Dominicans would be counted as "Black" IF they didn't have the Hispanic label.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
In the world...men & women.

In the U.S...whites & blacks, due to its despicable history.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
They're all connected IMHO. I say that because white men rank higher than white women but Black dudes rank LOWER than Black ladies in many ways. Hispanic I ain't touching because it's a BS word tho it usually means Spanish speaking Indians.

This is false. Black men are more economically mobile than black women. Black women are actually pretty limited economically.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This is false. Black men are more economically mobile than black women. Black women are actually pretty limited economically.
Depends on how one perceives it. Black women are generally more educated but are still negatively affected by gender issues. A significant number are also negatively affected by the number of black men who abandon their children, leaving complete financial responsibility to them. That makes some limited economically. Many are not though, despite the irresponsibility of many of the men. So perhaps in the minds of many, black women "rank" better in terms of education and familial responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies