Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which social gap is wider? Whites & Blacks? Men & Women?
The divide between whites & blacks 37 62.71%
The divide between men & women 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,785,908 times

Advertisements

What about the divide between black men and black women?

That's probably the greatest divide of all. Rarely see black women in positions of power.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
My dad sadly told me once that we would have a black president before a female one.

He was right.
A guy will almost always respect another guy over a woman...and so will most women.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,038,821 times
Definitely the gender divide.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Indeed when blacks do live among whites interactions are often quite polite and cautious.

And not particularly open.

I'd recommend watching the second episode of "Almost Human" and imagine being Dorian.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,028,422 times
I'd go on a limb and say neither; the divide seems larger between Hispanics and Blacks, Blacks and Asians, etc. at least in the larger metros in Texas. Meanwhile, Whites congregate with and even marry all these other races.
Socioeconomics is a greater divide than race or skin color.

Small towns are probably a different story, I'm sure.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,969,373 times
B&W is much greater. The black culture filled with drugs, violence, pants on backwards as some idiotic way of thinking it makes you cool or pants down to your knees is no way to elevate a race. No one wants to move to black communities, in fact the intelligent ones want out.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,576,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Which social divide in our time is greater and deserves more attention and resources?

The divide between men and women or the divide between whites and blacks? I have a feeling I know which way this will go, and though I am not a woman, consider the tribulations that many women do go through that neither white men nor even black men have to endure.

- Having extra repairs or costs tacked on at a car shop
- Lower wages for same positions
- Amount of women in low paying entry field jobs
- Sexual harassment still a major issue for most women
- Double standards. A girl who has slept with X number of men is a **** or a ***** in the eyes of some.
- Face more adversity to applying for some jobs. Firefighters, certain military jobs, etc
- Jokes about women's role, to stay home, to cook, to take care of children, etc

So which gap is wider? Men and women? Or blacks and whites?
I think you are right except for what I bolded. There is strong data that proves that black men make much less than white men for the same work.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,576,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'd go on a limb and say neither; the divide seems larger between Hispanics and Blacks, Blacks and Asians, etc. at least in the larger metros in Texas. Meanwhile, Whites congregate with and even marry all these other races.
Socioeconomics is a greater divide than race or skin color.

Small towns are probably a different story, I'm sure.
On the East Coast, there is less of a divide between Blacks (African American or Caribbean) and Hispanics, as they have historically lived in the same neighborhoods and have some overlapping of race and culture.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
B&W is much greater. The black culture filled with drugs, violence, pants on backwards as some idiotic way of thinking it makes you cool or pants down to your knees is no way to elevate a race. No one wants to move to black communities, in fact the intelligent ones want out.
Now, this is why even blacks like Colin Powell and Bill Cosby can't really go all the way to that side. They run into too many people who say something like that.

"Oh, I didn't mean you!" doesn't cut it.

Yeah, you did.

A few years ago--six, actually--I went through a period of unemployment and put in for some substitute teaching positions in the local school district. That required going to an orientation course.

During the course, the instructor asked at one point, "If you run into a fight in the hall, whose safety do you ensure first?"

A woman in the class, an X-Genner, piped up, "The whites!"

I had to turn and look at her. I was speechless, but I wanted to say, "You know I could hear that, right?"

People say that kind of stuff in my presence all the time. The "intelligent ones" of us are supposed to continually overlook it.

I've been overlooking it for 40 years.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Which shows that the black/white gap is bigger. The average man interacts with a woman on a daily basis, and usually live with each other. Husband/wife, parent/child, brother/sister, etc.

Outside of work and school between blacks and whites it is usually out of sight (and increasingly out of mind as extreme racial paranoia has declined). Go to your average black wedding and if 10% of the guests are white that's a lot, and most will probably work colleagues.
Globally, I don't feel it is bigger, the man/woman divide is bigger on an international stage.

But like I stated, the racial divide here in America can be put primarily at the foot of fearful white people, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The duty is on whites? So you want whites to kiss ass. No one owe anyone anything. Your thinking is ridiculous and no one respects a kiss ass.
So according to you, is the duty on blacks? You want blacks to kiss your ass and "prove" to you that we are "good enough?" If so, what constitutes "good enough?" We don't owe you anything. Your thinking is also ridiculous and no one respects a kiss ass or someone who thinks that they, by way of light skin is better than another person....

On a serious note, as was mentioned earlier in the thread and on this forum many times, black people are more likely to move from black neighborhoods to diverse neighborhoods moreso than white people (either conservative or liberal white people I might add). This is because, even though whites in America have a history of committing atrocious, horrible, terroristic, and discriminatory acts against black people, we don't hold all that against you or put the errors of other's ways on the whole of your society like you do the small percentage of black underclass criminals on the rest of us. You associate all of us with this underclass and relegate us as the worst of the worst so will not move into black neighborhoods due to this (FWIW, there are many white people who will who do not live their lives in fear and I know a lot of them as well). We are not as afraid of you as you are of us. We are more accepting and forgiving of your culture and don't generalize you as being the worst of the worst of your kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies