Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times

Advertisements

The real reason the Brits are worried is because when the ACA works that NHC system they have will have to be defended. The strength of the ACA is using Business to provide the majority of coverage. Our Corp. heads love the fact that the Govt run systems do not cost them directly for any coverage of health costs for their employees.

Hence the reason why the OP is using Brit. media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
I heard a story about this on the mainstream news this morning as well.
House Republican warns Obamacare mandates could close volunteer fire departments | WashingtonExaminer.com

Volunteer departments do not provide healthcare beyond workmans comp coverage for on the job injuries because they are VOLUNTEER. It isn't a paid position.

I served for 12 years as a fire captain on a volunteer department, no paid positions not even the chief. Some departments will pay the chief, but the rest of the volunteers are there because they want to serve their community or because they love the job but paid positions are few and far between.

Most departments make do with old equipment because their revenue comes from a small fire district tax or from fundraising or from grants. They normally don't have a lot of money to throw around as a new engine will cost $200K plus.

Up to 73% of all firefighters are volunteer in the US according to some statistics. Paid departments are normally union, so this may be an attempt to unionize volunteers, (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) by making them paid departments which would also increase local taxes.

Many departments that I am familier with are far less than 50 people, but some of the larger metro areas do have large volunteer departments.

This is not a good thing for the security of our communities as many departments would have to shut down if they had that large outlay of their funds going to obamacare.

This is one the congress should step in on and exempt. Volunteer firefighters are too valuable to the communities they serve.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Stop reading English newspapers . There is a reason they are used to wrap fish.
Liberal/Obama Supporter Auto Response Protocolâ„¢

1. The source isn't valid
2. That's racist
3. GOP obstruction
4. But...but...but George W. Bush
5. Haters gonna hate
6. Sour grapes- your guy lost
7. The insurance companies are at fault, Obama didn't lie
8. Repeat 1,2,3,4,5, 6 and/or 7 as needed then insult the opposition for failing to support this great man, declare victory, and move on

Old 12-10-2013, 08:14 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Wait, why the hell wouldn't a volunteer fire department provide health insurance? These guys put their lives on the line. The least the communities they serve can do is make sure they have insurance.

And don't get me started on wealthy communities exploiting volunteer firefighters. The suburb I live in is huge and wealthy, but uses volunteers. It's the Republican dream--- heroes working for free.
According to Obamacare's IRS agent, if you are working 30 hours a week, pay or not pay, you are consider full time employee.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Since most volunteer firefighters have full time jobs that provide healthcare, I doubt this would be much of an issue.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Better?

Don't believe everything you read in foreign papers.
OK, here is a domestic source.

Better?

House Republican warns Obamacare mandates could close volunteer fire departments | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Since most volunteer firefighters have full time jobs that provide healthcare, I doubt this would be much of an issue.
The IRS treats all firefighters, volunteer or paid, as employees for federal tax purposes.

Obamacare requires that companies with more than 50 employees must provide insurance.

So yes, they will be required to provide insurance for volunteer firefighters.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The IRS treats all firefighters, volunteer or paid, as employees for federal tax purposes.

Obamacare requires that companies with more than 50 employees must provide insurance.

So yes, they will be required to provide insurance for volunteer firefighters.
I understand, roadking. What I was relaying is likely those volunteer firefighters work full time in other jobs outside of their volunteer firefighting job. And those jobs likely provide healthcare to their employees.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
Keep attacking British papers for reporting what American papers don't or WON'T. Think about it for a moment if the press/media in this country were to do their jobs and REPORT news instead of the opinions they've been told to report we wouldn't have to look elsewhere for NEWS.

On the subject of volunteer firefighters, where I live most have full time jobs and are paid a small retainer by the fire dept. I'm pretty sure they currently get their insurance from other sources.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The key words on this one are "If incorrectly implemented".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies