Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Did you read the article? They only carried out sabotage, not terrorism, until long after Mandela was imprisoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Surely it can't be his role in ending apartheid (a sociopolitical system which many on the ultra-right aspire) -- because FW de Klerk was equally instrumental in ending it.
Yes, while FW was not a right-wing ideologue, he was also not driven by altruism to negotiate with Mandela and the ANC. It was simple pragmatic survival. Sanctions from the world had made the apartheid regime a pariah, and the sheer demographic disadvantage pointed to the Boers' demise as dictators. FW understood this and decided to work with Mandela and the ANC rather than go to war with them. Good choice on his part.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
As well as a lot of Africans.
Whether Africans held slaves or not is irrelevant to a discussion of slavery or slaveholders in the Americas. Right-wingers always resort to this when they've got no salient points to bring into the discussion.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You know, I really like City Data and have been enjoying myself here for years. Some of the comments posted on this thread make me want to leave CD and never return. I know there are some really low characters here but some of the posts here have hit a new low. I just can't understand the degree of hatred so many here express almost constantly. They must themselves have really rotten little existences. What else to explain it?
Did you read those Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin threads? There were some truly vile individuals posting on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies