U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, Tn
973 posts, read 1,190,274 times
Reputation: 782

Advertisements

“She said, 'This is a gun,’ ” said May. “I said no, it’s not a gun it’s a prop for my monkey.”

“She said if I held it up to your neck, you wouldn’t know if it was real or not, and I said, 'Really?’ ” said May.
The "gun" is roughly the size of three quarters placed end-to-end. The TSA agent took Rooster's gun and told May that she was supposed to contact the police. May asked the agent if she was kidding, and the agent assured her that she wasn't.


Sock monkey's toy gun confiscated by TSA


I feel safe now. No more Sock Monkeys are allowed to be armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30549
While I can understand the frustration, they do make derringers close to that size....like the one that was used to kill Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
 
793 posts, read 1,061,823 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I can understand the frustration, they do make derringers close to that size....like the one that was used to kill Lincoln.

A .22 caliber cartridge is as big as that toy firearm.
Derringers are closer in size to a smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Status: "MAGA" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: New Jersey
10,422 posts, read 5,979,636 times
Reputation: 10259
TSA agent tried to confiscate my brothers wallet because it had a Swiss cross on it and she thought that meant the wallet had knife in it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away called Germany
4,266 posts, read 3,593,243 times
Reputation: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
TSA agent tried to confiscate my brothers wallet because it had a Swiss cross on it and she thought that meant the wallet had knife in it...
LOL! Classic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
A .22 caliber cartridge is as big as that toy firearm.
Derringers are closer in size to a smartphone.
a .22 cartridge is roughly the length of a quarter. I should know as I've shot thousands of them over the years and used to get boxes of them for Christmas presents.

Derringers come in a variety of sizes. You might want to google this one....because before I opened my pie hole I did just that instead of relying upon my memory of all the gun shows I attended over the years with my dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM
 
793 posts, read 1,061,823 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
a .22 cartridge is roughly the length of a quarter. I should know as I've shot thousands of them over the years and used to get boxes of them for Christmas presents.

Derringers come in a variety of sizes. You might want to google this one....because before I opened my pie hole I did just that instead of relying upon my memory of all the gun shows I attended over the years with my dad.
The smallest one I can find is still considerably bigger than that toy gun.

Most are around this size:

vs



Though, I suppose we can't expect a TSA agent to have any knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
LOL! Classic!
I've seen some of the TSA employees and while some of them are on the ball....several of them look about "walmart" level functionality.

Did that TSA agent look something like this?
File:Ralph Wiggum.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
The smallest one I can find is still considerably bigger than that toy gun.

Most are around this size:

vs

Though, I suppose we can't expect a TSA agent to have any knowledge.
I hear ya. I'm sure if it were either of us we'd have acted differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
My NAA 5 shooter in .22 is really small but that "gun" is so tiny the ammo would look like the tip of a needle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top