U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM
 
38,000 posts, read 18,963,410 times
Reputation: 12082

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Me, I used what I was learning to create my own business. Not easy, but I did it.

If I were you, I would find something you are passionate about and create your own business around it. While you're doing so you'll probably have to work to create the money you need to build that business. I'm building mine from the ground up with no loans, etc (my ex husband destroyed my credit rating).. it's harder, but less financially stressful. Take advantage of the fact that you are living virtually rent free now, while you can (I'm nearly 40 and have a child.. double hard). Use the knowleged I know youpicked up (because I did too) to do it.

I started this business because I discovered much freedom in working for myself (even though i work longer hours and probalby harder.. it's still has a certain freedom to it) and because I couldn't find work in this economy.. so I created my own!)
Obama and Liz Warren says "You didn't build that!"

Although I agree that you suggestion is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,418 posts, read 14,514,609 times
Reputation: 9218
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sorry, I didn't hear about this in the first place.
It's ok, many haven't and just look at what he said not that the actual report was a lie. Kind of like the game telephone after the third person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ooooh you are saying the doctor lied like Obama lied at the pulpit. And since there are claims that the doctor lied, his lie cancels out Obama's lie. Got it
It is not linked except in some cases Obama lied and this doctor lied on his most famous research. Thanks for proving the correlation equates to causation fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
 
38,000 posts, read 18,963,410 times
Reputation: 12082
What the hell are you talking about? You brought up the doctor. I'm trying to figure out how they go together. You say the doctor lied and we all know Obama lied. Does one lie cancel out Obama's lie? Is that your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,695 posts, read 7,360,729 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
That's not true at all. Raisign the min wage would increase the price of a Big Mac by .68. The raising of prices would not equally correlate to the actual raising in wages. It would, however, lift people off the welfare rolls decreasing the amount of money the government spends on assistance. It would also put a little more money in peoples pockets to spend it,thereby expanding the economy.
Let's do a little thought experiment to show where your argument fails.

In 1990, minimum wage was $3.80 and people who made minimum wage were comparatively poor.
In 2013, minimum wage is $7.25 and people who make minimum wage are comparatively poor.

The minimum wage has nearly doubled in the last 23 years, but people making minimum wage have stayed at the poverty level. This is because they are making minimum wage, not because the minimum wage needs to be raised. Raising the minimum wage will not make minimum wage earners be anything other than comparatively poor. It would most likely lift them off of the welfare roles for the amount of time that it took the government to change the income level requirements to qualify for benefits. However, that would be a very short term "fix" that would actually end up hurting people more than it would help them. Not to mention that having to reevaluate practically every single person who works a minimum wage job would cost the government millions, if not billions, in wasted man hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,418 posts, read 14,514,609 times
Reputation: 9218
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? You brought up the doctor. I'm trying to figure out how they go together. You say the doctor lied and we all know Obama lied. Does one lie cancel out Obama's lie? Is that your point?
I wasn't even talking about Obama, you did. All I said is that there are people who disregard facts to enhance their talking points like the Republicans, Democrats and anti-immunizations group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,418 posts, read 14,514,609 times
Reputation: 9218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
That's not true at all. Raisign the min wage would increase the price of a Big Mac by .68. The raising of prices would not equally correlate to the actual raising in wages. It would, however, lift people off the welfare rolls decreasing the amount of money the government spends on assistance. It would also put a little more money in peoples pockets to spend it,thereby expanding the economy.

The reason I said that is because everything will equal out to the minimum wage still being poverty. Labor costs would increase causing prices to adjust. And we aren't just talking Big Mac economics. It's simple economics. If we lower minimum wages, prices should fall in that case however that would NEVER happen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Not useless at all. I am almost done iwth my Bachelors in Business Admin with a concentration in marketing, minor in small business management. THere are many different things you can go into with that degree. Me, I used what I was learning to create my own business. Not easy, but I did it. If I were you, I would find something you are passionate about and create your own business around it. While you're doing so you'll probably have to work to create the money you need to build that business. I'm building mine from the ground up with no loans, etc (my ex husband destroyed my credit rating).. it's harder, but less financially stressful. Take advantage of the fact that you are living virtually rent free now, while you can (I'm nearly 40 and have a child.. double hard). Use the knowleged I know youpicked up (because I did too) to do it.

I started this business because I discovered much freedom in working for myself (even though i work longer hours and probalby harder.. it's still has a certain freedom to it) and because I couldn't find work in this economy.. so I created my own!)
I would state a business if I had the money to do that (and a worthwhile idea that would turn into a sustainable business. I am not going to start a restaurant just because of how they fail. My main problem are my interest are expensive for start-up purposes. It's not like I am into say IT, website design or graphics. If I hit lotto, I would have a better chance of doing it easier. Then again, wouldn't we all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,833 posts, read 5,593,721 times
Reputation: 3399
When I started working, I think if I recall, minimum wage was .85 an hour. People trying to live on it had to work two jobs to pay their way through. Advance the clock 45 years and a significantly higher minimum wage. People are still living on minimum wage just the same as they did when minimum wage was less than a dollar an hour. When you increase minimum wage, everyone gets an increase in order to keep them off the entry level income. The overall result is that nobody gains anything by it. The one thing that does happen when you increase the minimum wage is you reduce the standard of living for those on fixed incomes such as the elderly. They don't get an increase, but they have to pay that additional .64 cents for a big mac and eventually instead of big macs, they are eating Purina....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 AM
 
38,000 posts, read 18,963,410 times
Reputation: 12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom
That's not true at all. Raisign the min wage would increase the price of a Big Mac by .68. The raising of prices would not equally correlate to the actual raising in wages. It would, however, lift people off the welfare rolls decreasing the amount of money the government spends on assistance. It would also put a little more money in peoples pockets to spend it,thereby expanding the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The reason I said that is because everything will equal out to the minimum wage still being poverty. Labor costs would increase causing prices to adjust. And we aren't just talking Big Mac economics. It's simple economics. If we lower minimum wages, prices should fall in that case however that would NEVER happen.
Raising min wage would bring more people into poverty because companies everywhere would raise prices to pay for the added expense. The people who your wage now matches is now on the same level as those who just got the raise would not get a raise. Companies will also lay off or not hire too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 05:37 AM
 
577 posts, read 355,773 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama and Liz Warren says "You didn't build that!"

Although I agree that you suggestion is excellent.
I know what Obama meant..

While I'm working to build it, I wouldnt be able to without dthe resources available (not just financial) to every single one of us. So, indeed, no one builds anything alone and they are able to becae we live in the U.S with a government that gives us a safety net, our roads, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,054 posts, read 5,077,711 times
Reputation: 4054
Default now New York's creative types are discovering the joys of Obamacare.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/ny...nted=all&_r=1&
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top