U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 AM

20,988 posts, read 10,622,648 times

Advertisements

[quote=xray731;32706299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
it's just 20 or so conservatives with nothing better to do than to create topic after topic on "Obamacare"

You can't appeal to their reason. Don't even try.[/quote

Well I'm a Democrat and am totally against Obamacare - so it's not just 20 or so conservatives. It was poorly thought out and pushed through. It hurts more people in the long run due to it's high deductibles - people, who once could afford medical care will no longer seek it due to increased co-pays and large deductibles and out of pocket expenses.

My husband and I have already experienced it's effect on even employer sponsored health insurance. The premiums have risen drastically an we now have a $2500 out of pocket and deductible which we never had before. We schedule testing and doctor appointments according to how much we have left each month to cover these copays and deductibles.

As far as a medical office, for the last year we have seen an increase in the number of patient cancellations or no shows for routine followups and when called a lot say they feel fine and couldn't afford the copay. And we see patients waiting until they can't control the pain before coming in to see the doctor.

Since we scan their insurances cards - you can see the appreciable amount that their insurance copays have increased in the past 2 years and many have talked about the increases in cost to there plans. Yes, insurance costs go up every year - but this is far above the norm.

I agree that everyone should be able to be insured - but there had to be other ways to implement that into our current system than a whole new program that was poorly thought out and wasn't ready to be employed.
Our company just sent out letters last week explaining that our premiums and co-pays are going up, and the "luxury" plan is no longer available due to the changes mandated by King Obama. A lot of unhappy people.

Last edited by whogo; 12-22-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:04 AM

10,012 posts, read 5,742,813 times
[quote=whogo;32706345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

Our company just sent out letters last week explaining that our premiums and co-pays are going up, and the "luxury" plan is no longer available due to the changes mandated by King Obama. A lot of unhappy people.

There are indeed. I had counseled way back when to save criticism of Obamacare until full implementation. While such has not yet happened, it does appear to be a poor program.

I was all for a law that would 1) help the poor/uninsured and those with pre-existing conditions obtain health insurance by 2) in part mandating that the healthy/uninsured obtain health insurance. However, while my health insurance has been unaffected (it went up some, but it does so every year), it is obvious that Obamacare is harming millions of people who were quite happy with their health insurance.

I hope that Congress can get its act together and make changes to the law that must be made.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 AM

3,576 posts, read 5,903,599 times
[quote=legalsea;32706795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

There are indeed. I had counseled way back when to save criticism of Obamacare until full implementation. While such has not yet happened, it does appear to be a poor program.

I was all for a law that would 1) help the poor/uninsured and those with pre-existing conditions obtain health insurance by 2) in part mandating that the healthy/uninsured obtain health insurance. However, while my health insurance has been unaffected (it went up some, but it does so every year), it is obvious that Obamacare is harming millions of people who were quite happy with their health insurance.

I hope that Congress can get its act together and make changes to the law that must be made.
Obama and the Dems could not run on the health platform in which only medicaid was expanded and the elimination pre existing condition (which affects very few people to began with since all govt healthcare and the vast majority of employer plans barred pre existing conditions with the ACA).

He and the Dems had to try to relate that the ACA was good for all their potential voters. In that sense they argued successfully because they won the election of 2012.

But it's fairly obvious if the election were held after the real effects of the ACA went into effect (instead of the feel good elimination of peds pre existing conditions and letting adults stay on parents plans went into effect already) If the election were held today Obama would have a very difficult time winning away. 5 million votes can swing easily. Bush 43 won by 4 million votes in 2004.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
What's killing these plans are the HHS "10 essential services" dictate along with forbidding people over 30 to buy catastrophic plans.

They had absolutely no reason to do that if the goal of Obamacare was to provide insurance to those that could not get insurance or afford insurance.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,873,712 times
[quote=aneftp;32706846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Obama and the Dems could not run on the health platform in which only medicaid was expanded and the elimination pre existing condition (which affects very few people to began with since all govt healthcare and the vast majority of employer plans barred pre existing conditions with the ACA).

He and the Dems had to try to relate that the ACA was good for all their potential voters. In that sense they argued successfully because they won the election of 2012.

But it's fairly obvious if the election were held after the real effects of the ACA went into effect (instead of the feel good elimination of peds pre existing conditions and letting adults stay on parents plans went into effect already) If the election were held today Obama would have a very difficult time winning away. 5 million votes can swing easily. Bush 43 won by 4 million votes in 2004.

That's why one enrollment extension is set to go into effect just weeks after next year's elections. They continue to deceive.

The extension means that many consumers may not see the premium prices for plans until after congressional elections in November 2014. The administration knows that the shock before elections would swing votes away from democrats. It's the only thing that would finally wake them up. This is obvious political manipulation to once, again, hide the truth.

Obamacare extensions for 2014, 2015 announced

Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 AM

3,576 posts, read 5,903,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What's killing these plans are the HHS "10 essential services" dictate along with forbidding people over 30 to buy catastrophic plans.

They had absolutely no reason to do that if the goal of Obamacare was to provide insurance to those that could not get insurance or afford insurance.
The White House outsmarted themselves with the "10 essentials".

They were (are) making up the rules as they go alone. The 10 essentials were never in the PPACA. The law gives the govt just so much leeway to make up demands as they go along.

It's fairly obvious the essentials were made to drive people away from their individual grandfathered plans onto the govt exchanges as soon as they could. Govt knew they had to accelerate number of people in the govt exchanges.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM

[quote=aneftp;32706846]
Quote:

Anefte, how in the world did you 'quote' me, above, yet name another poster? What purpose did it serve?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM

[quote=southward bound;32706969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

That's why one enrollment extension is set to go into effect just weeks after next year's elections. They continue to deceive.

The extension means that many consumers may not see the premium prices for plans until after congressional elections in November 2014. The administration knows that the shock before elections would swing votes away from democrats. It's the only thing that would finally wake them up. This is obvious political manipulation to once, again, hide the truth.

Obamacare extensions for 2014, 2015 announced

I guess the board is out of whack. You are 'quoting' me, yet it is another posting you are quoting.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:

Anefte, how in the world did you 'quote' me, above, yet name another poster? What purpose did it serve?
Somewhere along the line a "[" or "]" got removed when quoting another poster.
Look at your reply post. Innocent mistake and get's carried on with additional quoted comments.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It increases cost (per month and deductible), increases medical paper work, and puts a tax penalty on people who either choose to not have health insurance or can't afford health insurance. It does nothing to reduce cost. Wait till next year when the part covering employer provided healthcare goes into effect, unless Obama pushes it back again for elections.
This is what I'm dreading. I'm professionally educated and have enjoyed relatively low cost insurance as a perk of the effort I put in to get here. I'm going to hate losing it. I, currently, pay 20% of my health care premium which works out so be just under $4K/year and my deductibles are minimal. $20 for a doctor or a brand name drug, $4-$10 for a generic, $150 for a hospitalization, etc, etc, etc... I'm wondering how big a pay cut I'm getting next year when they change employer provided health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies