U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM

3,576 posts, read 5,902,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Aren't they suppose to enroll 7 million by April 2014? All I see is 140K enrollment. I believe they were supposed to hit at least 500K by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 AM

3,576 posts, read 5,902,769 times
" The more negative view is to look at these numbers in comparison to projections from before the health-care law's launch. The White House had previously projected a half-million private insurance enrollments through the exchange in October and 1.2 million people through the end of November. Those numbers are just for private insurance, and exclude Medicaid. We're now at the end of November, and still behind that target."

Since October, 1.2 million have gained Obamacare coverage

Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,732,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Aren't they suppose to enroll 7 million by April 2014? All I see is 140K enrollment. I believe they were supposed to hit at least 500K by now.

It's a bit light yet, currently just over 360,000.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 AM

27,816 posts, read 37,842,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Are you a smoker? Now you are writing health care legislation? Smokers have COPD, Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Chronic means "long term".

Smokers nurse alot, as the disease progresses they are typically in and out of hospitals more times than someone who lives a healthy life and lives to an old age. Someone in late stage COPD is a very sick person. Through the process of this disease they rack up quite a medical bill. And you think they should get a discount because they die young? I've seen people with COPD live well into old age.

If you are going to post at least know what you are talking about. Yet you keep yapping trying to sell Obamacare.
I said I had seen studies and reports that smokers actually save money or do not cost more in government benefits because they die young, that is all. Here is one news story about it. I only present it as a point of interest.

Smokers may not be financial burden on society - Health - Health care | NBC News

However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM

9,102 posts, read 4,524,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I said I had seen studies and reports that smokers actually save money or do not cost more in government benefits because they die young, that is all. Here is one news story about it. I only present it as a point of interest.

Smokers may not be financial burden on society - Health - Health care | NBC News

However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.
There have been similar findings re obesity ---

"Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures."

Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM

9,102 posts, read 4,524,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The 500k target was for the month of October. Even with all of the 'glitches' in the fed and state exchanges, the roughly 365k who selected a plan through 11/30 [whether or not they've yet Paid for a plan] will look good only to the true believers.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,124,447 times
Default Senate Dems vow to "fix" Obamacare!

It won't be Boehner, nor Cruz, nor Rush Limbaugh who snuffs the last bit of life out of Obamacare as originally written...it will be Democrats, facing the people in 2014 in much the same way that Baron Frankenstein faced the villagers carrying torches and pitchforks.

The law cannot be implemented as written, obviously, since so many important provisions have been ignored or deferred by the Obama administration. And the pieces that are in place have already produced millions of losers who were promised something quite different.

This is not really news, since it was always going to happen. But it is comforting when things you know to be inevitable actually begin to happen.

Dems: Fixes not enough on O-Care | TheHill

Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM

The insurance industry needs to roll out the billion dollar ad blitz they have prepared for Obamacare enrollment if numbers are going to improve much. I saw yesterday that about 1/3 of those who fall into the groups expected to be enrolling are not even aware that there's a website.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

4,707 posts, read 3,338,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The insurance industry needs to roll out the billion dollar ad blitz they have prepared for Obamacare enrollment if numbers are going to improve much. I saw yesterday that about 1/3 of those who fall into the groups expected to be enrolling are not even aware that there's a website.
Throwing money at a turd does not change the fact that you still are stuck with......a turd.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Throwing money at a turd does not change the fact that you still are stuck with......a turd.
Really? Tell that to the fast food industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies