Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not say "anywhere." After all, there are still States that do not have a "Good Samaritan" law. As the idiom goes, "No good deed goes unpunished."

When I moved to Alaska from Los Angeles in 1991 I intended to live in the bush, in total isolation. So I took the Red Cross EMT-W course. A total of 186 hours of instruction, with 36 hours assisting in one of LA's ERs. The "W" focused on wilderness medical survival. I have not kept my certification current since 1993. While I may never need what I have learned, I still consider it a valuable learning experience.
All of the above!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
There is certain irony in the fact that the folks being subsidized for care will also have their taxes subsidized. God Bless America.
The number of US citizens who will be dipping into the US Treasury and receiving more taxpayer subsides then they pay in federal income taxes will be dangerously high, and possibly even unsustainable. And that will be on top of the reckless, unsustainable federal deficit spending.

So what is the priority up on Capital Hill? Immigration reform/amnesty, gun control, and well... everything else except trying to improve the economy, reduce the deficit and reduce wasteful spending.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually the Boston Herald is a conservative rag and Battenfeld a conservative coulumnist. I think you are confusing it with the Boston Globe.
Disregarding that aspect, he makes valid points.

Facts:
- Less than 1 million people signed up for private health insurance plans through Healthcare.gov from December 1 to December 24.
- Medicaid signups outnumber ACA signups 4-1. If you thought Medicaid was bankrupting us before, just wait.
- Less doctors and hospitals will be serving millions more over the coming months. At first it might not be too bad, since more people are now uninsured, because of ACA; oh the irony! After the law really kicks in and the fines go to $700 (you didn't know? Countdown to Obamacare: The Penalties for Uninsured Americans - The Best Life (usnews.com); then everyone will be forced on a plan.

These fines have been named the "shared responsibility payment"

At midnight the first day ACA kicks in... watch the flooding of ERs materialize. Hospitals are going to be swamped, and won't even know which patients are covered. For anyone who isn't sick, this is going to be a circus... for anyone who is sick, a nightmare.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
At midnight the first day ACA kicks in... watch the flooding of ERs materialize. Hospitals are going to be swamped, and won't even know which patients are covered. For anyone who isn't sick, this is going to be a circus... for anyone who is sick, a nightmare.
I don't know about any floods. But hospital ER's already have to take all emergencies. The hospital billing staff may indeed end up with more headaches, but at the end of the day the Hospital will surely see increased ER revenues as they will be seeing fewer no-payers.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I don't know about any floods. But hospital ER's already have to take all emergencies. The hospital billing staff may indeed end up with more headaches, but at the end of the day the Hospital will surely see increased ER revenues as they will be seeing fewer no-payers.
This is true, except now there will be millions of formerly uninsured people who will instantly head for the local ER for the smallest of conditions. It is going to be a mess.

As for the fines. They will increase to 2% of income in 2015, and 2.5% up to $2065 in 2016.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
This is true, except now there will be millions of formerly uninsured people who will instantly head for the local ER for the smallest of conditions. It is going to be a mess.

As for the fines. They will increase to 2% of income in 2015, and 2.5% up to $2065 in 2016.
why will those formerly uninsured, flood the emergency rooms for the smallest of ailments? They will have private insurance or be on medicaid. They will now go to their assigned primary care physician for those smallest of ailments rather than the emergency room like they did before they had insurance.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

Why would newly insured people head to the local ER? Newly insured people can get care from private physicians. And people who are used to dealing with colds or rashes or minor maladies at home by themselves aren't suddenly going to rush to ER's. They will still have co-pays. And those co-pays will probably cost more than the over-the-counter medications they already rely on.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
why will those formerly uninsured, flood the emergency rooms for the smallest of ailments? They will have private insurance or be on medicaid. They will now go to their assigned primary care physician for those smallest of ailments rather than the emergency room like they did before they had insurance.
They were flooding ER before. It's a habit by now. Why should they go to their primary care physician? If they are on medicaid, good luck in finding a primary care physician anyway. Fewer doctors are accepting medicaid patients. Same is true for Medicare. If you can't find a doctor, where do you go? ER.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Medicaid recipients use ERs at higher rates.

Surging Medicaid Use in California

Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
These fines have been named the "shared responsibility payment"
The US Constitution has another name for them - a bill of attainder, and they are prohibited under Article I, Section 9, Clause 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies