Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I am not attacking Texas. A poster asked what I saw as a genuine question about why someone would say that Texas has a low QOL and I thought to give an answer to that question.

I also, offered a rebut to the Texas and California are just like one another posts which means Texas shouldn't be compared to the rest of America only California.

But i have nothing against Texas. I hope the statistics about Texas citizens improves. I hope poverty in Texas declines. I hope incomes in Texas rise. I hope the wealth of the average Texan increases. I hope more Texans graduate from high school to approach the US norm. I hope more Texans graduate from college to approach the US norm. I hope the life expectancy of Texans increases to approach the US norm.

But if we are going to talk about Texas as a state, I can't ignore the stats on the citizens of Texas.

Again when you compare Texans to the rest of the nation on average Texans are poorer, less educated, and die earlier than the average American.
This. We all hope they do better in the future but you can't ignore the many glaring ways in which Texas simply lags behind the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
And you lump Republicans into a monolith as well.
how do you figure

Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You discredit the opinion of someone that lives in the state
i didn't discredit their opinion, i said it was irrelevant to analyzing the QOL of the other 26 million people who live there

Quote:
yet you expect people here to listen to you?
where exactly did i express this alleged expectation that someone should listen to me?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
how do you figure
I've read your posts in the past is how I know.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Again, I am not forgetting anything, but this idea that Texas was this wealthy, highly educated state with low poverty until immigration is fiction.

These problems of low graduation rates, higher levels of poverty, and shorter life expectancy are long term problems in the state. As such, I don't see the point in pretending these problems are the fault of immigrants they aren't.
I never said the problems were tied to immigrants, but illegal immigrants pose unique problems so it doesn't seem realistic to compare a state that has to spend resoucres dealing with illegals to a state that does not.

HS graduation rates are identical in CA and TX.
Poverty/earnings are driven by educational achievement and CA has more people with a degree than TX does. TX is about 2 points lower than the national average, but most of the country doesn't have the amount of illegal immigrants that TX does.
Life expectancy is tied to lifestyle choices and socioeconomic background.

The poverty rate in the US is 16%, 16.4% in TX, and 23.8% in CA. So Texas is doing worse compared to the USA, but TX has to deal with illegal immigrants more directly.

Under the traditional calculation the poverty rate is 15.1% in the USA, 17.7% in TX, and 16.5% in CA.

Pg 13.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p60-247.pdf

Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Explain the much higher rates of murder and armed violence in states with more guns. There are a few exceptions (Montana comes to mind as a place with a lot of guns but low violence mostly due to low population density) but check out most of the south and you'll find higher gun ownership goes hand in hand with higher murder rates, higher domestic violence rates, and just plain higher violent crime rates.

That just doesn't sound very polite to me.
Hey, the science is settled. The study was conducted by Dr. Eric Fleegler of Boston and published in JAMA Internal Medicine.

"[A]n average rate of 4.0 gun homicides per 100,000 in the ten most anti-gun jurisdictions, and a gun homicide rate of 3.5 per 100,000 in the ten jurisdictions with the fewest gun regulations."

Based on those and other numbers in the study, one could argue that strict gun laws cause more gun violence.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
I am not attacking Texas. A poster asked what I saw as a genuine question about why someone would say that Texas has a low QOL and I thought to give an answer to that question.

I also, offered a rebut to the Texas and California are just like one another posts which means Texas shouldn't be compared to the rest of America only California.

But i have nothing against Texas. I hope the statistics about Texas citizens improves. I hope poverty in Texas declines. I hope incomes in Texas rise. I hope the wealth of the average Texan increases. I hope more Texans graduate from high school to approach the US norm. I hope more Texans graduate from college to approach the US norm. I hope the life expectancy of Texans increases to approach the US norm.

But if we are going to talk about Texas as a state, I can't ignore the stats on the citizens of Texas.

Again when you compare Texans to the rest of the nation on average Texans are poorer, less educated, and die earlier than the average American.
The life expectancy of Texas is tied with Pennsylvania and Montana for 28th place in the US. Very much in the middle.

As for high school graduation rates, perhaps you don't look at data. For 2010-2011, Texas' graduation rate was 86%, in the top 9 in the US.

High School Graduation Rates By State: U.S. Department Of Education Releases First-Ever National Data

Texas median household income ranks 25th, smack in the middle.

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I live in TN, a state whose politics are fairly similar to Texas. We have low taxes, low wages, low regulation, and are a very business friendly state, yet Texas continues to progess economically, while other states like TN that should be booming, frankly, are hurting. Why?

Is the Texas boom primarily based on oil and other national resources that other states aren't blessed with?

Does the Texas boom exist outside the major cities? Like here, I've always read that TX has issues with poverty outside the major cities.

Are there other factors specific to TX causing it to boom while other states that attempt to mimic the TX miracle like TN falter?
East Tenn is thriving if you are a neurosurgeon or med student. Other than that, not so much.

A façade economy of strip malls and retail doesn't prop up the economy , in the long run.

Corrupt local politics aside, TX and TN are two completely different animals. Tenn was a pretty state when I lived there (you cant swim in the polluted lakes though).

Economic myopia and corrupt local politics, bad city planning, etc., is the problem in Tenn. I cant speak for Texas. My brother loved Houston, but he was at Baylor for his surgical residency.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've read your posts in the past is how I know.
you don't know what you're talking about

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:

If there is a rough median or average of social metrics, that means about half are above and below the average. While TX may not be doing great with regard to these metrics, neither do states with similar state politics, like TN and FL. The difference between TX and TN/FL/NC and other hard right states is that TX actually has a viable economy, where the other states are severely hurting for those looking for decent paying work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies