U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM

12,689 posts, read 6,993,310 times

Advertisements

It's partially due to oil and gas and patially due to the fact that we have much better BBQ than TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,633,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's partially due to oil and gas and patially due to the fact that we have much better BBQ than TN.
Not to mention the most beautiful women on earth..

Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM

12,689 posts, read 6,993,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Well that's just a given.

Let's face it, there are 49 other states but they're all smaller and they talk funny.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,221,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Oil and Gas
Major international container port
UT Austin
Well funded and affordable higher education system
Warm weather and tourism
Border crossings and associated commerce
Seemingly endless supply of cheap labor and population growth from said border

The so called success of Texas happens despite its politics, not because of them.
If by politics you mean the religious right then I am with you.

If you are implying that their economy is running well despite economic policies implemented then that is just sour grapes. If it were California we would not be saying the same thing you would be jumping up and down about how overreaching government and high taxes are wonderful.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 8,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Texas' issue with poverty has a lot to do with border issues. As for other issues, I'd say Texas has benefited from a very good campaign by our governor saying we're open for business (I'll give him that at least). We do well because of oil and gas, but our economy is much more diversified than it was during the oil bust of the 1980s. We're also situated pretty well geographically, having a major port and airport hub. We have a lot of natural resources, but sadly not enough water for all those people moving here. I wish people would remember that.
that right there is our Achillies Heel.... gotta do something about that.... and I dont know short of making it, if there is something that can be done about that.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 8,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Oil and Gas
Major international container port
UT Austin
Well funded and affordable higher education system
Warm weather and tourism
Border crossings and associated commerce
Seemingly endless supply of cheap labor and population growth from said border

The so called success of Texas happens despite its politics, not because of them.
sorry. UT Austin certainly but dont forget Texas A&M. Both are great schools, very large, with very high international reputations.

Well funded and affordable higher education is in fact a factor of the politics, not something that happened in spite of it.

in addition to the "seemingly endless supply of cheap labor" Texas has a very low cost of living and that is in fact a function of the politcs here.... so while labor may be less expensive, every dollar buys more here than it does in other places. again thank you Texas politics for that.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,735,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Texas has a very welcoming posture with regards to illegals. A good share of the growth is illegals and their large families. Immigration is good for an economy. Do you welcome cheap illegal laborers in Tennessee?
Do you like to make things up? The growth in Texas is not driven by illegals, though they are a factor just like in any other border state. There is plenty of census data showing strong migration of Americans to Texas from just about everywhere in the US.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM

7,249 posts, read 6,448,794 times
Quote:
You like fatties, huh? Images like this are, sadly, all over Texas:

This obesity map shows which states to avoid if you don't like women with fat rolls.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 PM

22,769 posts, read 25,333,658 times
Quote:
I always have to snicker when I hear people talk about the lower standard of living in Texas. I travel all across this country and see 48 0f 50 states. All in all, I would say the standard of living is about the same throughout the country. I guess it depends on your definition, but, I don't know of another state where a kid can graduate from High School and within 3 years be making 80k a year, without a degree. Those of you that love to kick my state, please feel free to do so. All things considered, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I was born here and I will die here and I am blessed to be a Texan.
it isn't so much the standard of living in Texas that people have been talking about, it is the quality of life.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM

49,251 posts, read 39,697,155 times
It's funny watching all the people look at the rohrshack test called Texas and come away with views colored by their politics.

California gets the same treatment as do other polarizing states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or