U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,776,112 times
Reputation: 7982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I am wondering what happens when a whole lot of young people from California, Washington, Oregon and other states move to Texas and start working in high tech.
Why would anyone expect to see some dramatic increase in the number of non-Texans entering the high tech field there? Texas has been in the game for a very long time - you're writing as if this is something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,741,909 times
Reputation: 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oil and gas. That's all there is to it.

There's your miracle. And when the boom goes bust as they all do inevitably, you'll see all the proof you need.
You really don't know anything about Texas' economy, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
 
2,672 posts, read 2,205,825 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why would anyone expect to see some dramatic increase in the number of non-Texans entering the high tech field there? Texas has been in the game for a very long time - you're writing as if this is something new.
Silicon Valley wasnt a force in California. Reagan was voted governor in California twice and there was no Silicon Valley. Reagan couldnt get voted dog catcher now in Silicon Valley. California isnt the same and you think Texas will stay the same?? I guess you think people live forever also? I also dont think Texas is more than 10 years away from flipping to blue. The "Texas Miracle" I am pretty sure counts in migration. Whats Texas going to do? Make sure they sign an affadavit to vote Republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM
 
2,226 posts, read 1,689,978 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Texas does not suck in quality of life. Why do you say that?
Very high level of minimum or less wage earners. High infant death numbers.highest number of uninsured citizens, poor education numbers. Loads of poverty and hunger. Poor worker protections. Poor environmental protections. Etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,273,163 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Silicon Valley wasnt a force in California. Reagan was voted governor in California twice and there was no Silicon Valley. Reagan couldnt get voted dog catcher now in Silicon Valley. California isnt the same and you think Texas will stay the same?? I guess you think people live forever also? I also dont think Texas is more than 10 years away from flipping to blue. The "Texas Miracle" I am pretty sure counts in migration. Whats Texas going to do? Make sure they sign an affadavit to vote Republican?
The irony in what a lot of Texans and Republican transplants say is astounding. Texas's "success" will also be its undoing. Plus, I doubt a lot of hardcore liberals are moving to Texas in huge numbers. If anything, it's more left leaning independents and moderates that will decrease the choke hold the GOP has on Texas. My state is a blue state. But, what many people don't know outside of PA, is that most of my state's voters are actually moderates that tend to vote Democrat in at-large elections. The "fundies" live in the city centers and rural areas, the moderates live in the suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
 
10,916 posts, read 5,169,940 times
Reputation: 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think QOL is somewhat a matter of opinion, but when you look at how the citizens of Texas compare to the citizens of other states, Texas doesn't come out looking all that great.

Poverty is higher than the national average, there are more uninsured, high school graduation rates are lower than the national average, college grads are lower than the national average, income is lower than the national average, childhood poverty is high, teen pregnancy is high, the life expectancy of citizens is much lower, etc.

If one considers the totality of those measures, Texas citizens on average are poorer, less educated, and die earlier than other American citizens. Some people may look at those measures as meaning Texas citizens on average have a lower QOL than average American citizens.
YEP …… you should avoid Texas ……. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM
 
47,319 posts, read 24,886,577 times
Reputation: 14478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You really don't know anything about Texas' economy, do you?
My response is the same...when the boom goes bust, we'll talk sometime thereafter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: DFW
2,262 posts, read 2,704,324 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the only "Texas Miracle" is that they survive at all with their idiotic state leaders.

as to their economic performance, you can thank oil & gas -- and the investments they've made with that O&G money over the years, to diversify into politically-driven industries like defense and fed gov't contracting.
You know nothing about our state and we are glad that we don't have left wing nutjobs in power in our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,368 posts, read 50,140,150 times
Reputation: 67393
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the point is not that ND is "better", the point is that

(A) #1 and #2 are both oil and gas states.

(B) a state can suck tremendously in terms of QOL and still have job/pop growth
My QOL would put most to shame.
But keep on hating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 PM
 
10,916 posts, read 5,169,940 times
Reputation: 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The irony in what a lot of Texans and Republican transplants say is astounding. Texas's "success" will also be its undoing. Plus, I doubt a lot of hardcore liberals are moving to Texas in huge numbers. If anything, it's more left leaning independents and moderates that will decrease the choke hold the GOP has on Texas. My state is a blue state. But, what many people don't know outside of PA, is that most of my state's voters are actually moderates that tend to vote Democrat in at-large elections. The "fundies" live in the city centers and rural areas, the moderates live in the suburbs
Funny …… what most people don't know outside of Texas is that most of my State's voters are actually people who like what they have, and the transplants came here to escape the conditions of their old State. Why would they ever consider moving down to Texas unless they were looking for a better life?

In Texas - the majority of the Leftists live in the Urban centers like Austin, Houston, Dallas, but the land mass and population of those Urban Centers will never out-match the Suburbs and Rural areas where most of the Natives live. Texas will never be like Illinois which is controlled by Chicago, New York State which is controlled by New York City or California which is controlled by the Coastal cities.

Some transplants like it and stay, some leave because they can't adjust to the Freedom - but Texas has been a Land of emigrants from it's earliest days. People come here for Freedom and Opportunity ….. the Carpet-baggers tend to not stay long - or they may spend the rest of their lives trying to "change" what they escaped to. Texas gets these Waves of people whenever times are hard in the rest of the country - the Welcome mat is always out, but it's not for everyone.

Texas is a State of Mind - certainly not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top