U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 PM

17,120 posts, read 11,533,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Republicans In Collapse as Obamacare Enrollment Skyrockets In December

The Republican plan of running against Obamacare is in freefall today as HHS announced that 975,000 people signed up for health insurance in December alone. According to the announcement from the Department of Health and Human Services,
As we continue our open enrollment campaign, we experienced a welcome surge in enrollment as millions of Americans seek access to affordable health care coverage through new Health Insurance Marketplaces nationwide. More than 1.1 million people enrolled in a qualified health plan via the Federally-facilitated Marketplace from October 1 to December 24, with more than 975,000 of those enrolling this month alone. Our HealthCare.gov enrollment nearly doubled in the days before the January 1 coverage deadline compared to the first few weeks of the month. December enrollment so far is over 7 times that of October and November. In part, this was because we met our marks on improving HealthCare.gov: the site supported 83,000 concurrent users on December 23rd alone.
The entire Republican strategy has been to discourage people from enrolling in the ACA Judging by these numbers, they have completely failed. Republicans are basing their entire 2014 and 2016 strategies on running against Obamacare. Their plan is backfiring, and they are setting themselves up for an epic backlash.

Hooray!

90% of the people signing up are medicaid. With no revenue for premiums (few, if any, younger people are signing up), the whole scheme falls apart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,179,712 times
I didn't read thru the entire thread but why is the success of this judged by how many people sign up? When you take away other options, of course people will sign up. But when I've always had health insurance, why do I consider the program a success if enrollment is high if it means my costs are up?

Because already contributing almost 40% of my paycheck isn't doing 'my fair share?'

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM

37,251 posts, read 38,863,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Long term illness sounds like a big risk if one doesn't have insurance.
You can't be denied "insurance" or did you forget about that? Do you really think that these people that are opting out aren't going to get it if they get sick and need long term care? LOL

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM

69,372 posts, read 54,122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are not happy with the premium they charge you, then you take it up with them, or you change providers. If you think it's dumb, then pay up and shut up.
Wait, the whole point of Obamacare was that premiums were too high, now we need to just pay up and shut up? Hahaha.. oooh the humor, couldnt get any funnier...

Is that the response you give people who can no longer afford their "new" policies and have to go without? oooh pathetic...

Old 12-29-2013, 05:17 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,616,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can't be denied "insurance" or did you forget about that? Do you really think that these people that are opting out aren't going to get it if they get sick and need long term care? LOL
Well not anymore thanks to ACA, you could be denied insurance before if you had pre-existing conditions.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,100,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If private insurance companies raise their premiums, then you take it up with them, or choose another company. Either way it is not a tax, it is a raise in premiums. Most premiums have gone up every year in the past 20 years. Mine went up about $20 bucks, but I am transferring to my wife's plan anyway because it has better coverage.
Spin it however you want, at the very least it's a stealth tax because it's mandated or you pay a tax penalty. And this from he who swore he wouldn't raise taxes on the middle class.

But then again, if he succeeds in destroying the middle class that will be one lie he technically didn't tell. Period!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM

555 posts, read 1,061,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
Everyone I've talked to are highly upset at the huge tax increase called Obamacare.
I've heard people say that but I don't believe it's true. Obama said he wasn't going to raise taxes on the middle class. The only logical explanation is that Obamacare isn't real.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,100,646 times
Quote:
You can always not have insurance and risk it, there is nothing stopping you from doing that.
And then you get to pay the ever-increasing tax penalty. That's special!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,216,338 times
Quote:
You can always not have insurance and risk it, there is nothing stopping you from doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hooray!

90% of the people signing up are medicaid. With no revenue for premiums (few, if any, younger people are signing up), the whole scheme falls apart.
I doubt it because the rates have been raised 20-25% for those who already have insurance. Everyone is clamoring for a death spiral but Medicare went into a death sprial from the year of inception. The government picks up 40% of the tab out of general revenue. The insurance comanies have lots of money and deep pockets so a death spiral isnt possible. The Medicare death spiral is at $215 billion a year and counting. The ACA death spiral would look like $10 billion in fact no one knows what it would be.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,524,758 times
Quote:
So you have always considered your healthcare to be a tax? You do get something out of having insurance.
Obama has argued that Obamacare both is and is not a tax, apparently definitions are flexible with him depending on what he needs to pass a law.

Yes you do get something out of having insurance, while most of us don't get very much out of paying taxes, it's certainly a poor return on the investment. Those who aren't paying taxes certainly get something out of others paying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies