Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It's hell when a sin is made legal....

A sin is still a sin, legal or not. You will be judged.
The point is that he was fired for violating church doctrine. He had been violating those doctrines for his entire employment, and his husband even attended school functions. IF he was being fired for breaking church doctrine, why wait 12 years? Why not fire him as soon as they found out he was gay and living with a man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
One would think one's personal affairs would be separate from their employment.
They aren't. Never have been. You may wish that one's personal affairs would be separate but they aren't. And if this person had been fired because of doing something that you disapproved of, I suspect you'd have no problems with it. If he'd run a racist website or been caught drunk driving or something like that I'm sure you'd be first in line to say his conduct reflected poorly on his character and the school was right for not wanting him teaching children.
Quote:
Hopefully his next job won't be so bigoted that they would fire a teacher for getting married regardless with how they are as a teacher.
Yes, maybe he can be suspended for posting an anti-Obama comment to his facebook page instead like Sharon Aceta.
Quote:
And then people wonder why I think religion is stupid.
Nobody wonders why liberals think religion is stupid. We know that religion generally supports strong local communities, looking to ministers as role models and authority figures, and promotes nuclear families. All things that go against liberalism, that wants people looking towards a central government authority instead.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They aren't. Never have been. You may wish that one's personal affairs would be separate but they aren't. And if this person had been fired because of doing something that you disapproved of, I suspect you'd have no problems with it. If he'd run a racist website or been caught drunk driving or something like that I'm sure you'd be first in line to say his conduct reflected poorly on his character and the school was right for not wanting him teaching children.

Yes, maybe he can be suspended for posting an anti-Obama comment to his facebook page instead like Sharon Aceta.

Nobody wonders why liberals think religion is stupid. We know that religion generally supports strong local communities, looking to ministers as role models and authority figures, and promotes nuclear families. All things that go against liberalism, that wants people looking towards a central government authority instead.
Ah cute, you are making poor assumptions.

No, I disprove of someone being fired for drunk driving or running a racist website unless it is on the company time or uses the company name. Drunk drive while making a delivery in the company van, they should be fired. Have a few drinks on the weekend at a personal party and get caught drunk driving, they should not be fired.

I also think it is wrong for people to be fired with what they say on Facebook.

Ministers who molest children should not be seen as role models and too often do we see the church cover up these role models when they are caught molesting children. I would prefer children have better role models to look up to, starting with their parent/parents. Also saying you support the nuclear family is just a covert way to say you are anti-gay parenting. A gay couple can raise a child just as well as a straight couple, I am all for children being raised in healthy families regardless who make up those families.

Conservatives are stuck in the 1950s and think the world could still be that Leave it to Beaver lifestyle that never existed.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The point is that he was fired for violating church doctrine. He had been violating those doctrines for his entire employment, and his husband even attended school functions. IF he was being fired for breaking church doctrine, why wait 12 years? Why not fire him as soon as they found out he was gay and living with a man?
I'll try to 'splain' it to you. It's kinda like 'don't ask, don't tell'. As in, we believe you
are sinning but we don't have proof. We will respect your privacy, as long as you are
discreet, but he applied for marraige, then told the school, now they have no choice
but to uphold the rules of the school. This is an example of someone 'throwing into
my face' that is brought up from time to time. It's just like a when policeman thinks
that you smoke pot, but as long as you don't do it while he is around, he won't arrest
you, but if you light up while he is there, he has no choice.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I'll try to 'splain' it to you. It's kinda like 'don't ask, don't tell'. As in, we believe you
are sinning but we don't have proof. We will respect your privacy, as long as you are
discreet, but he applied for marraige, then told the school, now they have no choice
but to uphold the rules of the school. This is an example of someone 'throwing into
my face' that is brought up from time to time. It's just like a when policeman thinks
that you smoke pot, but as long as you don't do it while he is around, he won't arrest
you, but if you light up while he is there, he has no choice.
The teacher and his now husband went to dinner at the priests house, and sat next to the schools principal at school events. How is that no proof?

Quote:
“My partner came to school functions with me and a school administrator attended the ceremony after our civil union in 2008,†Griffin said in a phone conversation. “I even asked the president if it’d be ok to bring him to a holiday party at his home very early on in my teaching career.â€
Gay teacher fired after applying for marriage license | MSNBC

Yep, no proof there.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, following one's religion isn't hatred. Thinking that it is however, is probably due to your hatred.
But first one has to know ones religion. Biblically, divorce is much higher on the radar as anti-Catholic, along with fornication, yet Catholics look the other way, why? Because it affects heterosexuals. I'm sure there are some teachers wearing blended fabrics too. And yes, there are numerous scripture quotes justifying racism, yet we do not accept that today, do we? And, aren't there instances where it is unacceptable for a male to be taught by a female listed in the bible?

There has long been a considerably disproportionate amount of scorn aimed at gays, while other more critical issues, (read: sins) get over looked. As Jimmy Carter once said, if you're heterosexual, homosexuality is the easiest "so-called" "sin" to not commit.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
PA is a backwards state. Kid's for cash scandal. It is a well known fact that to get a job teaching in the Wyoming valley you have to pay a consideration fee. So firing someone because they disagree with his personal life which is in no violation of any law does not surprise me at all.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I have to say that if he agreed to the contract he knew what he was doing. Take the whole stupid idea of "sin" out of this and that's what's left. I wonder why he agreed to it in the first place?

Eventually it will be illegal to have employment contracts like this though.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, following one's religion isn't hatred. Thinking that it is however, is probably due to your hatred.
You should be embarrassed for doing something so ignorant as likening the It's-OK-if-you-have-a-religious-excuse to thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Their view of the Bible is that it forbids homosexual unions. There is no choice being made here. Agree or disagree with the Catholic interpretation of the Bible, they are simply following what it dictates.
Uh huh. And Catholic doctrine opposes the death penalty. Think they'll be firing anyone who supports capital punishment anytime soon? Think we'll be hearing you calling them out on those rank hypocrises? The obvious answers to those two questions is one hypocritical 'No!' after another.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I wonder how many divorced teachers they fired, or what their school uniforms are made from.
If it's an annulled marriage, then probably none. It's clear the teacher was trying to make a point, he could've kept this all to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies