U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,819,682 times
Reputation: 22174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im an atheist......And I love this new pope. I also like people that work at food banks and help people. I know some Wiccan folks...they love the new pope. I suppose some of the Satanists might not be too fond of him...dunno....So uhmmm...what exactly are you thinking is going to occur?
That's it! This pope can become the pope of the wiccans. I think Catholics need a different one, one who values human life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,141,447 times
Reputation: 6982
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Somehow I highly doubt that liberals will now believe in God, accept Christians, or show up to Mass just because the pope is pro-abortion.
The Pope is not, and has never been Pro-Abortion nor are liberals. Nice strawman. Most liberals also already believe in God. Atheism is a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,141,447 times
Reputation: 6982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah! He'd LOVE the pro-abortion liberal left too! Go Jesus!!
Liberals aren't pro-abortion, the Bible never even mentions it (no the 6th Commandment does not address abortion under Jewish law), and considering nearly half of all pregnancies end in miscarriage anyway, who are you to claim God didn't intend that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:28 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,183,395 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Liberals aren't pro-abortion, the Bible never even mentions it (no the 6th Commandment does not address abortion under Jewish law), and considering nearly half of all pregnancies end in miscarriage anyway, who are you to claim God didn't intend that?
Ah, ok. Now the liberal argument is that God INTENDED humans to purposefully end pregnancy through "snipping" and "jabbing" and all sorts of "kind and gentle" actions towards the life form that God himself created? Miscarriage isn't enough....we've got to have HUMANS make it happen on purpose! And that's what God apparently intended according to the latest and greatest liberal argument!

It would be funny if it werent' so damned disgusting the length liberals will go to justify abortion.

Now God INTENDED it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
 
15,727 posts, read 9,141,447 times
Reputation: 6982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ah, ok. Now the liberal argument is that God INTENDED humans to purposefully end pregnancy through "snipping" and "jabbing" and all sorts of "kind and gentle" actions towards the life form that God himself created?
I'm merely arguing the Bible says nothing about abortion, therefore your argument is entirely speculative. Considering God ordered the slaughter of babies in the Bible, not sure why you're so offended.

Quote:
It would be funny if it werent' so damned disgusting the lengthy liberals will got justify abortion.

Now God INTENDED it!

Is not God the creator? Why do 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous miscarriage? Who controls that? Satan? Why did God order the slaughter of women and children in the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,183,395 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm merely arguing the Bible says nothing about abortion, therefore your argument is entirely speculative. Considering God ordered the slaughter of babies in the Bible, not sure why you're so offended.

Is not God the creator? Why do 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous miscarriage? Who controls that? Satan? Why did God order the slaughter of women and children in the Bible?
No, you're not gonna step away from your argument that easily. You just asserted that God intended for humans to carry out abortions. You said that!

Pretty disgusting huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,693,317 times
Reputation: 1113
I don't see a problem with ideals, which he could be addressing. These are just goals to constantly strive toward. This could be called fanaticism I suppose by some. Comparing ideals to faith makes no sense to me. Faith is simply a belief. Faith in what?

One definition makes them almost the same, the other definitions aren't comparing apples to apples.

I suppose the pope's opinion is as valid as the next guy though.

I guess the question would be which definitions he is using. It seems to vary. Some paint little difference in ideology and faith.
ideology - definition of ideology by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
i·de·ol·o·gy (d-l-j, d-)n. pl. i·de·ol·o·gies
1.
The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
2. A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.

faith - definition of faith by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
faith (fth)n.
1.
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,549,755 times
Reputation: 9700
In the Book of Numbers, a woman who was unfaithful to her husband had to go to the temple and a priest could induce miscarriage by giving her bitter waters. Induced miscarriage is an abortion, is it not?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 12-10-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,023,912 times
Reputation: 27523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm merely arguing the Bible says nothing about abortion, therefore your argument is entirely speculative. Considering God ordered the slaughter of babies in the Bible, not sure why you're so offended.

Is not God the creator? Why do 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous miscarriage? Who controls that? Satan? Why did God order the slaughter of women and children in the Bible?
"Thou shalt not kill" covers abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
19,738 posts, read 13,332,863 times
Reputation: 12933
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Thou shalt not kill" covers abortion.
I guess it doesn't cover war then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top