Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I'm off to Montevideo.
Not so fast. Unless you're Uruguayan.

BBC News - Uruguay bill pioneers state control of cannabis market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Smoking is not good either. However it has been a tradition for too long so we tolerate it.
Why should we start another unhealthy tradition? why bother?
Governments, throughout the world, got addicted to the tobacco taxes, and the more they raise the price of cigarettes the harder it will be for the Governments to curb their tobacco tax addiction. Napoleon waged a war with tobacco taxes, some 100 million francs a year coming into the Treasury, and he was encouraging more people to smoke, more tobacco taxes!

Won't be any different with marijuana legalization. CO is going to tax it at 25%, and watch and see! Other states will get envious of that source of income/taxation, and will legalize it for their benefit, just like tobacco.

You can well bet the Uruguayan government is not doing this selflessly, or as a favor to its citizens! They've got dollar signs in their eyes!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
1. Maybe you are that kind of person. I have never tried marijuana in my entire life because I believe it is bad.
2. Any law has to take the risk of consequences into account.
3. It's no secret that many kids under 21 drink alcohol. The "older students" do them a favor.
Quote:
99% countries in the world forbid it. YOU are on the wrong side, not me.
I have many friends who took it, so don't try to fool me.
Quote:
Yes. Imagine some girls consume a lot of pot at a party and some "bad guys" are around.
Quote:
Smoking is not good either. However it has been a tradition for too long so we tolerate it.
Why should we start another unhealthy tradition? why bother?
Quote:
Are you sure it LOWERS the occurrence of violent behavior if the takers are the victims, not the criminals?

Most people don't try to act like experts on something they've never tried.

If your going to spread lies, fear, and misinformation, at least be able to back it up.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
On average, traffic fatalities have decreased by 9% in places where marijuana has been legalized/decriminalized.

Study: Weed Smokers are Slower, Safer Drivers | PropertyCasualty360

Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
On average, traffic fatalities have decreased by 9% in places where marijuana has been legalized/decriminalized.

Study: Weed Smokers are Slower, Safer Drivers | PropertyCasualty360
So, they do drive intoxicated......I always suspected it, but thanks for confirming it.

Overall fatalities are down 35%, so you might wonder why the states where driving stoned is common saw only 9% decrease Well, for the same of public safety, I hope they do not legalize in Florida. It would be a very irresponsible thing to do.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
You educate the kids and then educate them again. You tell them your experiences with alcohol and pot or other drugs and then you let them make the choices. The choice in life they will reap the benefits, or pay the consequences for.

I know that my 16 yo daughter has drank alcohol and I know she has smoked pot.
She is honest with us and we have no secrets in this house.
Sure she rebels on the little stuff but she knows when to be serious.
The rules I have explained to her over and over are, There is a time and a place for everything. Pick your battles wisely. It is not illegal until you get caught and you will eventually get caught if you keep it up. and finally Buyer Beware.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Good, now maybe the burnouts will leave and go to Uruguay.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
"Today, in a closely watched vote, Uruguay lawmakers approved a proposal to make recreational marijuana legal for adults and to regulate its production, distribution and sale. Once it's signed by President Jose Mujica, who initiated the proposal, Uruguay will be the first nation in the world to fully legalize the drug."

Opinion: Finally, a nation legalizes pot - CNN.com
Hooray for Uruguay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And here we are in the land of the free, America.
Except it's not. Though we like to pretend that we are. It would be nice if we practiced what we preached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
if every annoying pothead could head on down there i'd be a happy man
Nah! We'll stay here. You go. I hear North Korea is perfect for authoritarian types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
And this is my problem how? Let the kids' parents worry about what their kids and let me worry about me.

[less worry for all]
Correct.

Quote:
1. If it is legal, people tend to think it is ok or good, and thus consume more of it.
2. If it is legal, parents will probably not hide it at home.
3. If it is legal, very young children can try buying it and using it.
Oh bulls***!!!! Due to it's current illegal status it is in fact easier for kids to get than legal stuff like cigarettes and alcohol. Dealers don't ID.

Quote:
Replacing the word marijuana with heroin, your argument still works. NOT
Really? You're comparing heroin to cannabis? Name one person who has overdosed and died from cannabis.

Quote:
99% countries in the world forbid it. YOU are on the wrong side, not me.
I have many friends who took it, so don't try to fool me.
Oh, so you're like the rest of the sheeple in the world? Group think, and go along to get along. Well, at least there are still those of us who believe in freedom and don't need the government dictating to us what we can and cannot consume. And get this, we even do it in MODERATION!!!! Imagine that!

Quote:
Most people don't try to act like experts on something they've never tried.

If your going to spread lies, fear, and misinformation, at least be able to back it up.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You educate the kids and then educate them again. You tell them your experiences with alcohol and pot or other drugs and then you let them make the choices. The choice in life they will reap the benefits, or pay the consequences for.

I know that my 16 yo daughter has drank alcohol and I know she has smoked pot.
She is honest with us and we have no secrets in this house.
Sure she rebels on the little stuff but she knows when to be serious.
The rules I have explained to her over and over are, There is a time and a place for everything. Pick your battles wisely. It is not illegal until you get caught and you will eventually get caught if you keep it up. and finally Buyer Beware.
That is good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good, now maybe the burnouts will leave and go to Uruguay.

Nah! We'll stay here and continue to promote freedom... you know... land of the free and all.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, they do drive intoxicated......I always suspected it, but thanks for confirming it.

Overall fatalities are down 35%, so you might wonder why the states where driving stoned is common saw only 9% decrease Well, for the same of public safety, I hope they do not legalize in Florida. It would be a very irresponsible thing to do.

oh they will legalize it in Florida,!!! its just a matter of time..

Old 12-11-2013, 08:08 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
If it is legal, it will be very hard to prevent young children from reaching it.
Although it might be ok for young kids to taste wine occasionally, the potential damage caused by marijuana is probably much more serious.

ALCOHOL IS TEN FOLD WORSE THAN POT!!!! talk to anybody that has dealt with and alcoholic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies