Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Obama is "on the outside looking in ins his party"? Really?

I think that the Right Wingnuts will lose the Republicans a few more elections before the normal Republicans take back their party. Ideologues would rather lose everything than compromise, and the GOP has pandered to too many RW ideologues for too long to marginalize them quickly.
How soon you forget. The "Tea Party" only began to form after the Trillion Dollar "Stimulus" was crammed through in the Mid-Night hours (nobody read it) and none of them were elected to office until the 2010 "Shellacking" (biggest change in the House since 1938) - They first took office in January of 2011. That's just a little over 2 years for a group of Grassroots folks (all while the Democrats and Media said the TP was "dead") for them to be in office.

I think this group of first timers have made a lot of mistakes, mostly due to a lack of knowledge of Government. They appear to think that things can happen 'instantly' and don't understand how to pass effective legislation. I also think John Boehner has tried to include them into the process (as he should) and given them time to learn the ropes …. many of them just don't "get it". Outside groups have attempted (and maybe even succeeded to take over the TP in their own interests. The GOP is just like the Democratic Party - both desperately need "new blood" to get the career Politicians out of their "life time" jobs. That's going to take a lot of time and many mistakes will be made along the way ….. but it must be done in the interest of the Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Obammy can and will institute new taxes via executive order. Haven't you been paying attention to the potentate these past 5 years?
You obviously have no clue on how the Federal government works. Congress is the only body who can levy taxes.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Every time I read the title on this thread, I laugh.

What's on?

Nobody on the right has ever liked Boehner. Nobody on the right gives 2 hoots what he says. Nobody on the right cares who he lashes out at.

Boehner is not on the side of the right.

I thought everybody knew that.
Shouldn't the guy at least be dead before history is re-written?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
How soon you forget. The "Tea Party" only began to form after the Trillion Dollar "Stimulus" was crammed through in the Mid-Night hours (nobody read it) and none of them were elected to office until the 2010 "Shellacking" (biggest change in the House since 1938) - They first took office in January of 2011. That's just a little over 2 years for a group of Grassroots folks (all while the Democrats and Media said the TP was "dead") for them to be in office.

NO, we were alive and doing well in 2006, after forming a group of Grassroots Ron Paul supporters in 2005.
We didn't like what Bush was doing.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The good news is, as of this moment — thanks to the Obamacare fiasco that will likely continue for some time, even get worse, and, to a lesser extent, the Iran deal that, in all probability, is headed for disaster — things are running in the right’s direction. What Ryan quite obviously was trying to do is keep it that way — tread some water until we have at least the first of those elections (2014). He was following Hippocrates’ prescription to do no harm.

The harm would be shutting down the Congress, because the public seriously dislikes that. They turn against you — and for good reason. They understand you don’t have the votes to accomplish what you say you want and are posturing for the most part. Even some low-information voters get that. It’s pretty obvious.

I think it was Napoleon who said, "Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake", or something to that effect.
How is Obamacare a fiasco? It's implimentation was not wisely done. The website was poorly done. This does not mean as an IDEA that it is a fiasco. Our current system is if you can't get insurence or can't afford it then you use the ER as your doctor. What is good about that?

I would not have tailored it the way it came out but it was a result of compromise. Origionally it was to be a single payer system. But Obama is willing to bend to achieve a goal, unlike some others.

If I'd have been able to get health coverage back when I was hoping to make a carrear, for everything meaningful was 'exempted' on the one policy I had, my life would have gone a lot different. Health care has been broken for a long time and just because the current system being implimented may not be perfect, its far far better than what has been. Those things which need fixing will be fixed.

The tea party zelots want to walk back a century or so and the will crash and burn without any help.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Ted Cruz is going to be the President Jan. 2017
I wouldn't bet my life on that.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Boehner is an idiot. "Sequestration" is the law of the land, the same as Obamacare is. You can't just ignore the law because it is politically expedient. Republicans selling out on the reductions in spending increases associated with sequestration are liars of the worst sort. Well, maybe not as bad as the lying fear mongers within the Dem party that paint reductions in spending increases as disasters, but close.

Well, you cannot ignore it unless you are POTUS and it suits you. See extension for employer mandate as a recent example....

Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But sound bites is all some even hear. They don't want to take the time to look at all the elements of a problem, including fesibility. It's so much easier to grasp some words and make them a mantra, and live in a black and white tv.

I agree about the far right and far left. They actually sound more like each other than they know. My leanings are leftist in many ways, but there is a difference between the 'ideal' and how it turns out. Pure idology seldom works, and both of the extremes cling to it like a flag. The way things work, the way things *always* have worked (not just here in the US) is that it takes root and grows. If you make everyone who isn't you the enemy and hold them hostage, then its not likely to make them look at your talking points and want to embrase you.

The old left wanted to change everything. They changed a lot, the foot soldiers ordinary people who moved past percieved limitations. But they didn't make of the world what the most fervent wanted. The far right wants in many ways to dial us back to the old days, but that isn't going to happen either. The Republican party isn't going to let them try either, or be taken over again. Either they stay a small noisy corner of the Republicans, or they make their own where they can say anything they choose.

Just like the far left influenced but did not ever run the Democratic party, the tea party will not get to make the rules for Republicans either.

I think many people have personal views encompasing both camps as well and are generally put off by someone who sees only one flavor of fervor.
Listen to Boehner and his pals, they all claim to believe in every one of the basic principles and concerns as the Tea party does. It's just that Boehner lacks the moral courage, fortitude and leadership to put those principles into action, because he's a coward, he just wants to kiss babies and stay in congress for the rest of his life.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Listen to Boehner and his pals, they all claim to believe in every one of the basic principles and concerns as the Tea party does. It's just that Boehner lacks the moral courage, fortitude and leadership to put those principles into action, because he's a coward, he just wants to kiss babies and stay in congress for the rest of his life.
It's really remarkable how quickly the right wing conservative is ready to eat their own.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's really remarkable how quickly the right wing conservative is ready to eat their own.
Boehner is not mine, maybe it's a tough notion to wrap your head around, but I'm not a political party partisan. I look at over $17 trillion in fiscal operating debt, and I don't roll over because my party guy is speaker, $3 trillion in new debt under his speakership is not acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies