Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm diggin' the Boehner right now. Was beginning to wonder where the boozer had wandered off to. And no, I'm not picking on his boozing habits, as I tend to booze up myself.
Obviously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Boehner may join Obama in finding himself on the outside looking in in his party.
Obama is "on the outside looking in ins his party"? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Hopefully, this means the beginning of one of two things, either the conservative party finally has this internal fight for power.

Or it means the conservative party elected leadership is maybe interested in public policy, which means compromising with the Party that controls the Senate and the Presidency, and actually passing bills.

Either development will be welcome although, I am personally pulling for the first option.
I think that the Right Wingnuts will lose the Republicans a few more elections before the normal Republicans take back their party. Ideologues would rather lose everything than compromise, and the GOP has pandered to too many RW ideologues for too long to marginalize them quickly.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I disagree. While balancing the budget is a great goal, it is also impossible to attain with a liberal dem controlled Senate.

With control of only one side of Congress you HAVE to compromise or you get NOTHING.

A half filled jar is better then an empty jar.
New taxes and more debt with promises of being responsible in the future is getting the empty glass.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
It's war! Senate gears up for epic battle as ZERO Republicans line up to support budget agreement (and Democrats need to find at least five)

ZERO Senate Republicans support budget agreement and Democrats must find at least five | Mail Online

Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Calm down there, now. It will pass with ease.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Glad Boehner finally grew a pair and confronted this useless cancer.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
A politician, I don't remember who, once said, "The definition of a good political compromise is when both sides leave the table unhappy". I guess he or she means that nobody got everything they wanted but each got something to take back to their constituents.

I see more going on behind the scene with this deal and Boehner's jab at the TP. The budget deal is good through 2015. That means that both sides have agreed to keep financial issues off the table during the next election cycle. It also defangs the tea party as their only real power was holding the purse strings in the house. Now they can't gum up the workings of the government with every little financial matter.
I also believe that this is the first shot across the bow to the Tea Party by the mainstream moderate republicans. To me it signals that the republican party is going to pass on financing and supporting the more radical conservatives this coming primary and will be very proactive in supporting the moderate republican candidates. A mixed blessing for Democrats.
This budget deal signals a truce and compromise between the republican party and the Obama administration
that's my thoughts, anyway.
And we have a winner!

The Tea Party hates this simply because compromise removes their ability to have influence in the House and Senate that is completely disproportionate to their numbers. What is Ted Cruz going to grandstand about once there is a budget deal in place? Also, there are house members who ran on nothing more than the mantra of "No compromise." How are they going to explain to the frothing masses in their gerrymandered districts that they weren't able to stop the lefty lib tax and spend freedom haters in Washington?

That said, i don't feel bad for Boehner. He was fine with taking votes and support from the Frankenstein's monster that is the Tea Party in order to get a majority in the House. He should have realized his speakership would come with a price.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
This bill gives the senate the power to tax....

Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
New taxes and more debt with promises of being responsible in the future is getting the empty glass.
What new taxes? I read that there NO new taxes.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This bill gives the senate the power to tax....
That would take an amendment to the Constitution which I doubt will happen. If it does it truly marks the beginning of the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies