Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
So let me get this straight just because someone doesn't hold an education on paper means they are not smart and are to be treated like second class citizens? FYI, there are college grads having to take those jobs as there are no jobs available in their field at the time they got their degree. This is not a good excuse.

I agree with this to an extent. Asking for $15 an hour is excessive however, it was always my belief that a full time job is supposed to fund basic needs like housing, food, transport, healthcare etc, After taxes you can't afford any of that on 7.25 an hour. If someone wants a better wage of course they should get an education, but until they complete their education don't they deserve make a somewhat livable wage? I didn't make this thread to start a min wage debate, but to shed light on the fact that it's not right to look down on folks who work hard in these jobs, and it needs to stop!

Breed? What are they animals? Wow, you really need to get over yourself, not all fast food workers are popping out babies left and right. Some of them may have been laid off from better jobs that require higher skill sets or just pay higher, or their are just no jobs available in there particular market.

I'll give you this one, fast food is what it is, cheap and fast. It's the nature of the beast.

Most people aren't expecting to buy a Mercedes flipping burgers, they just want to be able to afford housing, food, healthcare, and transport without relying on government subsidies.
Can't agree with this more. If people will look there is older people working FF now days, because there just isn't anything else. It's some of the Jobs that can't be taken out of the country.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
I told my kids this,
Never feel strange or bashful asking for employment. Ever.
You want to work. Ask for employment.
Always do the very best at what ever job you get. It doesn't
matter what the job is, be the best at it and hold your head high.
You are working. You have a job, and you work hard.
Get an education beyond high school. Borrow the money, study hard,
get great grades in college or tech school, and work too, and hold your head
high because you are working your way through school, whatever school you
decide to complete, and I mean complete.
Don't ever look down at any person working for a living. EVER.
You may end up in their job, or even working under them someday.
Karma can be mean.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I look down on fast food workers for a variety of reasons.

Low educational achievements.
Complain about low wages instead of adjusting to the marketplace. EG: gaining a different skillset.
They breed knowing that they have no means to provide for their kids. (borderline child abuse IMO)
FF places deliver lower quality service than full service restaurants. (not the biggest issue as I don't patron FF restaurants often.)

Most people will leave FF jobs within the first year to go onto greener pastures, but the people that choose to stay and act surprised that they can't afford the life they want will get little more than disdain from me.
No one that gets up every day and goes out to work for a living deserves to be looked down upon. Goodness; many of them are college students who may one day do great things.

How small of a person must you be to look down on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
OP I totally agree, it disgusts me that people look down on those who make little, and even verge on hatred like "they don't deserve it" when it comes to minimum wage. I believe these people are people and should get better. I am all for a $15 minimum wage. The right wing(mostly) hate poor people and worship stupid ***** millionaires like Paris Hilton. They justify it as hurting business, but each time increasing the wage, shows business and economy is not hurt.

Awful that people are more concerned about business people and not common man.
I find that people who look down on fast food workers usually do so to make themselves feel better. IF their lives were going great; they would have no need to look down on others.

It's quite pathetic.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
its taught to us, over and over in school.. "you must go to college or youll end up at mcdonalds!" i told my college counselor i was overwhelmed with college and considered dropping out.. her response "and you will work at burger king"

well she'd be wrong, i graduated college and i work NO WHERE

Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
its taught to us, over and over in school.. "you must go to college or youll end up at mcdonalds!" i told my college counselor i was overwhelmed with college and considered dropping out.. her response "and you will work at burger king"

well she'd be wrong, i graduated college and i work NO WHERE
We have 10 openings where I work. Is your degree related to math? BS economics, finance, math, accounting, financial engineering, decision science, or operations management/research?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I told my kids this,
Never feel strange or bashful asking for employment. Ever.
You want to work. Ask for employment.
Always do the very best at what ever job you get. It doesn't
matter what the job is, be the best at it and hold your head high.
You are working. You have a job, and you work hard.
Get an education beyond high school. Borrow the money, study hard,
get great grades in college or tech school, and work too, and hold your head
high because you are working your way through school, whatever school you
decide to complete, and I mean complete.
Don't ever look down at any person working for a living. EVER.
You may end up in their job, or even working under them someday.
Karma can be mean.
Exactly. I have respect for anyone who gets up in the morning and works to support themselves.

I used to work at McDonald's. It was my first job, and it was a lot of work. Fast food workers are some of the hardest working people I have ever come across and they should be respected.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
My grandfather had a good saying, that I keep with me to this day: "There is dignity in all work. Even being a janitor is something to take pride in, if done right". He was a wise man and we could learn a thing or two from that statement. Not all people can do high-level work. If they are obeying the laws and not taking from society, I do not see why their line of work is to be condemned. They are just trying to make ends meet, like anyone else.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We have 10 openings where I work. Is your degree related to math? BS economics, finance, math, accounting, financial engineering, decision science, or operations management/research?
business marketing.. which was pretty much math and stats (i had to take 1 or more maths every semester ugh, i only got a few marketing classes)

where do you live

Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Lets look at something. Only 35% of all American Workers have a college education. That means about 2/3rds of all workers are not college educated as the jobs do not require one.

So if everyone went to college, there would not be jobs for most of them that required college education and they would have wasted a lot of time, and put themselves in debt very far, and no jobs available.

A lot of the 35% with a college educated workers, are working far below what they were educated to do. Often because they went for degrees on things they liked, and are not needed in the workplace. A lot of college education jobs pay low wages. How can anyone afford to go to college to take these jobs.

College Degree = $10-Hour Job - Forbes

Not everyone is able to handle college courses, and flunk out if they try it. A lot of those people, have a very difficult time even going through an easy high school program and some end up in special ed classes.

Not all low paid workers, work in fast food. Look at the mean income for retail workers. When the median is $10 an hour approx. that means there are huge percentage of them that are working for minimum wages.

Retail Salespersons Look at some that pay $10 or less.

The 8 lowest-paying jobs in America - Business - Careers | NBC News

The fastest growing jobs pay less than $10 per hour.

The Fastest Growing Job In America Pays Less Than $10 Per Hour | ThinkProgress

There is no way that Fast Food is going to pay $15 per hour, when a lot of so called good jobs, only pay $10 to $16 per hour. This is from 2010, but wages in those fields, have not really increased in 3 years.

Top 10 Jobs that Pay $11-16 Per Hour - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,743 times
The lack of empathy from some of these "educated" folks is quite shocking.

I work a full time job as a Security Officer in Southern California where the cost of living is out of control. A one bedroom apartment in a bad part of town will fetch about 800 dollars a month, not including utilities. Factor in the high taxes, high vehicle registration fees, higher than average fuel prices. There are job here but good luck finding any that pay more than 8 dollars an hour. I'm fortunate enough to have a position that pays 9 per hour and I work a lot of overtime so it helps. I not only have to provide for myself but I also have a 5 year old son to care for as well. I work nights so that I can take him to school and be there for him during the day. Do I like it? Of course not. Working nights affects everything especially our health but it's the only shift that works for me in my current situation.

Years ago I worked for a major wireless carrier as tech support technician in Central Oregon. Cost of living was very low and I made a good wage so everything was great. Got married, had my son. Life was good. Then the economy turned to crap. The call center was closed. Hundreds of employees lost their jobs and in Oregon, a state with so few jobs already, it was a huge blow to the small town I lived in. Relocated back to Southern California where there were more job opportunities. After a couple of years of struggling to find steady work and a roof over our heads the wife decides she didn't want to live like this anymore and she ran off leaving me to care for and raise my son alone.

Did I choose to live life like this? No, of course not. Nobody ever expects these things to happen. You just have to do what you can to survive until something better comes along. I'm grateful that I have a job and that I work enough hours to be able to support my son and I, keep the bills paid, clothes on his back and food on the table.

I'm sure my story is not unique and it probably is more common than you think. Honestly? I couldn't care less what people think of me. Sure they make look down on me and my lowly security guard job but I take my job seriously and will continue to do so as long as the job provides me with my families income. I don't live beyond my means. I don't drive a new car. Don't own an Iphone or fancy clothes. I shop at Walmart and buy stuff on sale. I don't take cruises or vacations to far off lands.

That suits me just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies