Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
do you know what race-baiting is? It's when dopes like Al Sharpton in an attempt to sway peoples emotions and gin up controversy make false accusations of racial discrimination.

pointing out the fact that if this kid was a minority he would have been punished very harshly is not race-baiting. It's reality.
Except there is no fact......just your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware of Texas law but if he was a minority or even a poor white person he would have been given the maximum sentence possible.
It's amazing the level of disconnect a lot of whites have in this forum. It's sad. They live in a world where the standards of society that apply to them, also apply to everyone else. That the US functions on a set formula. This is not how reality works. They seem to think corruption like this only exists in some developing backwater country. The reality is, for ethnic and racial minorities, the rules are not the same. It is very definite had this kid been middle or working class and/or black, the prosecutor would have sought maximum sentence. That is the reality we live in. Racism is still alive and well, especially at the local level

Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware of Texas law but if he was a minority or even a poor white person he would have been given the maximum sentence possible.
If he were of any race and poor the punishment would be different.

Leave race out of it. Jesus, I'm so sick of you guys.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The man who lost his wife and daughter was interviewed by Anderson Cooper tonight, very tragic. The boy was caught driving a car on school grounds when he was 13 and his parents transferred him to another school, now he is going to a $50K clinic to supposedly rehab. No one is responsible for their actions anymore.

I don't know of any prior DWI like this with a minor, if he was an adult he would do time. The parents have been missing in action for hos entire life.
Try $450,000.
It's a deluxe spa on the ocean.

As part of his sentence, Couch will be sent to a private counseling center that costs $450,000, which will be paid for by his father.
Ethan Couch Sentenced To Probation In Crash That Killed 4 After Defense Argued He Had 'Affluenza'

Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
If he were of any race and poor the punishment would be different.

Leave race out of it. Jesus, I'm so sick of you guys.
no

only white and rich would have gotten no jail time

any other minority and rich would still have been punished to a much greater extent.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Rich teen gets probation after DUI crash kills 4 - Sun Sentinel

A judge sentenced a 16-year-old boy who killed four people while driving drunk to 10 years' probation in lieu of jail time, saying the boy suffered from "affluenza" because he grew up so wealthy, according to WFAA.com.

Ethan Crouch and his friends had just stolen beer from a Walmart in Burleson, Texas and were on their way to get more when the crash happened. Crouch's blood alcohol level was at .24 as he drove his white pick up truck at about 70 miles per hour, CBS-DFW reports.

Crouch hit and killed four pedestrians -- a youth pastor, a mother and daughter, and a 24-year-old woman -- and injured nine other people, including two of his friends who were in the truck.
---------------------------

I was in shock when I heard about this verdict!

I wonder what other people think about this ...
The girl who killed my BIL because she was texting while driving didn't even get probation and she's not from a rich family. I understand that as they were putting her into the squad car she was screaming "YOU CAN'T ARREST ME!!" As a society, we tend to excuse what our children do and they know it. They expect not to be held accountable for what they do because they've been trained to think that's how life works. This isn't just a rich thing. It's an our children aren't responsible for their own actions thing.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
They're giving people DUI's these days who blow UNDER the limit, and this kid gets off after wrecking AND killing people??

The only people NOT getting locked up these days are the wealthy/connected, Police, and politicians.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:20 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Rich teen gets probation after DUI crash kills 4 - Sun Sentinel

A judge sentenced a 16-year-old boy who killed four people while driving drunk to 10 years' probation in lieu of jail time, saying the boy suffered from "affluenza" because he grew up so wealthy, according to WFAA.com.

Ethan Crouch and his friends had just stolen beer from a Walmart in Burleson, Texas and were on their way to get more when the crash happened. Crouch's blood alcohol level was at .24 as he drove his white pick up truck at about 70 miles per hour, CBS-DFW reports.

Crouch hit and killed four pedestrians -- a youth pastor, a mother and daughter, and a 24-year-old woman -- and injured nine other people, including two of his friends who were in the truck.
---------------------------

I was in shock when I heard about this verdict!

I wonder what other people think about this ...
I'm not surprised about the location.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:33 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Judging by our local DWI cases, I'm not too sure his light sentence is about money nor race. Some judges have a poor attitude towards DWI. It's as if they, the judges themselves, regularly drive after drinking and don't feel it's a big deal, even if someone is killed by the drunk driver. I've seen people on our local news with 10 or more DWI arrest.

However, none of them had a defense lawyer use money as a defense. I wonder if it should be renamed the Disney brat defense. Long overdue for police and courts to hold money people to the same standards they hold to regular lower income criminals. Working class people and less don't get to have an army of attorneys at the gate to their home blocking police from exercising an arrest warrant and negotiate terms of arrest.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That is complete bull**** and you know it. You know damn well that "justice" only applies to those that can purchase it. Say the word justice to yourself, doesn't it sound similar to "just us"? I got news for you, this country is not the meritocracy you grew up, and still think, it is
What is bull**** is the fact that this country is made up of a bunch of alcoholics who think that drinking and driving is perfectly ok and then wonder why crap like this happens.
And yes, I see the police drop off people every day who are drinking and driving and don't even bother to make sure they have their real identity before saying stuff like, "We'll catch up with them later." This is rampant...I've seen it all over the place. When questioned, they say stuff like, "The D.A. isn't going to do anything about it anyway."

The only reason you are even hearing about this is because someone wanted to make some bullsh*t class war statement. People are killed every single day without people having to pay any real consequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies