Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ditto, but I'll add that the political climate sucks for anyone not in love with the idea of the government micromanaging their life, and the cost of living is just insane. I was paying more for a one bedroom apartment than I'm paying for a four bedroom house with a pool in Las Vegas.
Exactly. Back in the days following my discharge from the Navy, in San Diego (1968), I split $90/mo rent with a friend on a decent apartment in Pacific Beach. Even when I moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife of 43 years) in an apartment at Windansea, we only paid $130/mo. We bought our first home in Mira Mesa a couple of years later, a new two bedroom on a large pie shaped lot, for $21,500! How things have changed since then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Exactly. Back in the days following my discharge from the Navy, in San Diego (1968), I split $90/mo rent with a friend on a decent apartment in Pacific Beach. Even when I moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife of 43 years) in an apartment at Windansea, we only paid $130/mo. We bought our first home in Mira Mesa a couple of years later, a new two bedroom on a large pie shaped lot, for $21,500! How things have changed since then!
The only thing that's changed is the decimal point has moved to the right a couple of clicks. $90.00 = $900.00, $130.00 = $1300.00 and $21,500? Well we all know where that went....

Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Paying taxes with entitlement money.. Interesting
You know..... take a bucket into a swimming pool, fill it with water from the deep end and dump it in the shallow end so the shallow end will have more water.
Obamanomics 101.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The only thing that's changed is the decimal point has moved to the right a couple of clicks. $90.00 = $900.00, $130.00 = $1300.00 and $21,500? Well we all know where that went....
Very true. I wonder how that compares with the rate of inflation everywhere else in the country? Things are still far less expensive here than they were there, 20 years later. But, I couldn't live there anymore. I've gotten used to country life. No traffic, either! And, we can actually plant a garden without breaking our backs with a pick axe!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Just-released Dept of Finance estimates show California enjoying its fastest growth since 2004. Population is now 38.2 million:

LA Times

Significantly, the new growth includes a net migration INTO California from other states, reversing a decade-long trend.

So much for the "everybody is fleeing California" BS.
Here we go again. So who actually is going there? Illegals? Welfare recipients? Growing in population is not a good thing when the new population takes more than they give.

Where are the facts surrounding these newbies?

Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Most of the growth in California was “natural increase” -- births minus deaths -- rather than more people pouring into California from elsewhere, the data indicate.

Nearly 170,000 people came to California from other countries, but nearly 103,000 left for other parts of the United States during the same period, according to the new estimates.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Parts of California have been doing well & gotten themselves out of this Great Recession, mainly Northern California in Silicon Valley.

The rest of the state not so much. Still a long ways to go before they start attracting folks back who fled for other states like Texas.
There are depressed parts of every state. Even Texas and even in areas in Texas where it's so called booming. I can still drive out in the Permian Basin and find areas that are frighteningly poor despite all the oil wealth rolling in. I can find plenty of dumpy areas of East Texas too...not to mention deep south Texas and the RGV.

California is doing fine and will be gangbusters eventually. I know it's the conservative dream to see it fail so you can make a political point, but that's not gonna happen.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There are depressed parts of every state. Even Texas and even in areas in Texas where it's so called booming. I can still drive out in the Permian Basin and find areas that are frighteningly poor despite all the oil wealth rolling in. I can find plenty of dumpy areas of East Texas too...not to mention deep south Texas and the RGV.

California is doing fine and will be gangbusters eventually. I know it's the conservative dream to see it fail so you can make a political point, but that's not gonna happen.
The irony is, I've seen more conservatives who want to see California to fail than liberals wanting Texas to fail. Don't RWNJs realize that Californians are funding a nice chunk of their state's government largesse? Nothing says anything more than a tea party state crowding around Congress wanting to feed at the taxpayer trough. So, effectively, low tax Texas is possible because California (in addition to New York, Illinois, and New Jersey) is giving Texas handouts. If it wasn't for them, Texas would be not in the very slight blue when it comes to taxes received for every dollar paid

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The irony is, I've seen more conservatives who want to see California to fail than liberals wanting Texas to fail. Don't RWNJs realize that Californians are funding a nice chunk of their state's government largesse? Nothing says anything more than a tea party state crowding around Congress wanting to feed at the taxpayer trough. So, effectively, low tax Texas is possible because California (in addition to New York, Illinois, and New Jersey) is giving Texas handouts
What i don't get is that they want Iraq and Afghanistan to succeed and are more than willing to dump hundreds of billions to make sure that they do, but they want an American state to fail because they don't like the politicians and politics there.

The real kicker is this...California IS NOT a liberal state by any stretch of the imagination. Look at their congressional delegation and individual counties.

And you're right...if California fails, it's gonna cost all of us a hell of a lot to fix it and we'd have to fix it. It's too large a part of the economy of this nation to let it fail.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What i don't get is that they want Iraq and Afghanistan to succeed and are more than willing to dump hundreds of billions to make sure that they do, but they want an American state to fail because they don't like the politicians and politics there.

The real kicker is this...California IS NOT a liberal state by any stretch of the imagination. Look at their congressional delegation and individual counties.

And you're right...if California fails, it's gonna cost all of us a hell of a lot to fix it and we'd have to fix it. It's too large a part of the economy of this nation to let it fail.
I know RWNJs like to think that California failing would usher in a new era of prosperity, but this is on the scale of Britain going broke, not Portugal or Greece.

Oh, I found an interesting little tidbit. Seems like the Texas Miracle, so-called, is not really because of its tax free status. Other states have no income tax as well but are not booming like Texas. Could it be....

Texas Enterprise Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now we know what the answer is. If it wasn't for Texas using tax dollars on corporate welfare, Texas would not be the hot commodity it is today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies