Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:23 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,191,962 times

Advertisements

I've been called a liberal, even though I'm more of a leftist and I really don't care about gay marriage.

To be honest, I find it odd that many conservatives worry about what two gay guys do in the bedroom.

I suspect they are closet gays, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,264,150 times
Getting behind gay marriage has more to do with generation then it does ideology. One can make the argument that the young may grow more moderate or conservative as they age but gay marriage is one thing they will never change their mind on.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,786,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
But is gay marriage more important than all of the other social issues that exist in America today? Why have liberals all of a sudden decided to ignore this, but seems to be 100% focused on gay marriage? Is that more important than combating poverty?
It should be a non issue. The same Bible that says it is wrong says eating shellfish is wrong and has a guide on how to treat your slaves.

But, hey, one fight at a time. If some folks had their way, women would still be spanked.
Hello, Lucy.
http://averydebow.files.wordpress.co...zi_lucy_sm.jpg

Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,825,544 times
There is some truth to the OP's observation.
Every generation of liberals have to find something of their own to make an issue of. Gotta be different, no matter what.
It'll be interesting (and perhaps terrifying) to see what's next. Maybe they'll come full circle.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,825,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It should be a non issue. The same Bible that says it is wrong says eating shellfish is wrong and has a guide on how to treat your slaves.
Perhaps if you cherry pick and proof-text like a fundamentalist, instead of considering the situation or the culture of the time.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,521,102 times
Liberals are for "Injustice' no matter what the cause

Gay Marriage= Social injustice ( with economic ramifications on their partners)
Poverty = Economic Injustice ( Unions, Minimum Wage, Equal pay for Women)

One issue as I stated above isn't a stand alone issue since all these issues all have ramifications and are intertwined one way or another. Why should gays not have the same rights as heterosexuals when it comes to issues like marriage which does strengthen a family?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,560,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

But, hey, one fight at a time. If some folks had their way, women would still be spanked.
Hello, Lucy.
http://averydebow.files.wordpress.co...zi_lucy_sm.jpg

I don't understand why no one is answering my question directly.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,786,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Perhaps if you cherry pick and proof-text like a fundamentalist, instead of considering the situation or the culture of the time.
Exactly, those who espouse this or that. They have no idea of how to look at the big picture.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,514,896 times
Quote:
You first, what are your concrete suggestions?

To add most people I know (liberal and conservative) think gay marriage should be written into law once and for all so we can focus attention on other important issues.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,307,816 times
Quote:

You haven't posited a valid question.

Is this what you're talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913
But is gay marriage more important than all of the other social issues that exist in America today? Why have liberals all of a sudden decided to ignore this, but seems to be 100% focused on gay marriage? Is that more important than combating poverty?

You have not established a predicate for your conclusion that "liberals" are ignoring poverty and other social issues in America today.

You pulled that conclusion right out of your rear end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies