Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Can you tell me the difference in an incandescent and halogen light bulb as far as how the light is? Like what difference it will make?
Halogen's usually have a higher color temp 3,000k-3,500k making them more yellowish white. Good for flood lighting small to medium outside areas or in ceiling cans.

An incandescent is usually 2,700k or lower making them a duller yellow not so white. Its more inviting people say that's all.

Halogens also emit more heat than a regular incandescent bulb so don't buy them if you're trying to cut down on your cooling bill. Buy CFL's or LED's.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Halogen bulbs are the same exact ones your car's headlights use (of course, except if you drive certain cars that use Xenon bulbs, like Lexus or Lincoln). They are brighter, use less energy, and usually produce a very nice yellow-white light. The same you see on your car
I hate having cars with Xenon bulbs behind me.

Drives me nuts.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,583 times
Default Those Halogens will be banned too

Halogen replacement incandescents with marginal usage saving at much higher cost, hence unpopularity in a free choice either with politicians or consumers. = no Halogen replacement programs as with CFLs or LEDs!

They will be phased out anyway in the USA based on 45 lumen per W rule (equating to CFL level) in Tier 2 of EISA 2007 law 2014-2017, possible extension to 2020.
Similarly Canada, which is adopting US law, and current EU and Australia etc legislation.
(More info, [url=http://freedomlightbulb.org]Freedom Light Bulb | How and Why the Incandescent Light Bulb Ban is Wrong[/url] )

Old 12-21-2013, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,583 times
Adding to reply elsewhere re the light quality etc differences,
Halogen replacement incandescents with marginal usage saving at much higher cost, hence unpopularity in a free choice either with politicians or consumers. = no Halogen replacement programs as with CFLs or LEDs!

They will be phased out anyway in the USA based on 45 lumen per W rule (equating to CFL level) in Tier 2 of EISA 2007 law 2014-2017, possible extension to 2020.
Similarly Canada, which is adopting US law, and current EU and Australia etc legislation.
(More info, [url=http://freedomlightbulb.org]Freedom Light Bulb | How and Why the Incandescent Light Bulb Ban is Wrong[/url] )

Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
BTW, hold onto your old lamps. Not only are they of great quality if made here, but it won't be long before the gub-ment tries to outwit the hoarders by banning importation of lamps which accommodate greater than 40-watt bulbs, or don't accommodate the old bulbs at all.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
For once I agree with conservatives. This was an asinine law, and nothing more than a giveaway to manufacturers. I hate CFLs. The color of the light still isn't correct in my opinion, and they can't produce nearly the lumens, despite what the packaging says. Their cost is still MUCH higher. The energy savings is minimal. And I frankly don't care if a bulb lasts ten years. I think we all know what happens when a light bulb stays in the socket too long.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
For once I agree with conservatives. This was an asinine law, and nothing more than a giveaway to manufacturers. I hate CFLs. The color of the light still isn't correct in my opinion, and they can't produce nearly the lumens, despite what the packaging says. Their cost is still MUCH higher. The energy savings is minimal. And I frankly don't care if a bulb lasts ten years. I think we all know what happens when a light bulb stays in the socket too long.
It's not asinine at all. Incandescents waste 99% of the energy they take in by emitting it as heat and only 1% as light. If every American home has incandescents, all that waste seriously adds up. Plus, the law does not outright ban incandescents, it just sets standards that existing incandescents do not meet. If some entrepreneur wants to swoop in and develop incandescents that meet those standards, they are free to do so.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It's not asinine at all. Incandescents waste 99% of the energy they take in by emitting it as heat and only 1% as light. If every American home has incandescents, all that waste seriously adds up. Plus, the law does not outright ban incandescents, it just sets standards that existing incandescents do not meet. If some entrepreneur wants to swoop in and develop incandescents that meet those standards, they are free to do so.
But we already have lamps that everyone likes, well, except the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do leaders. When I drive late night past the White House and see only a small lamp shining from the residence, and then past the Capitol and see no lights on there, and the same with every damn government building in DC, then we'll talk about the lights in MY house!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The halogens as they exist now would be banned. That's not to say that they can't make a more efficient version in the next six years and have them still available. Who knows what will be available in six years?
Why? Why should ANY light bulb be banned?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Of course it's asinine.

The idea of the government deciding what light bulb you should buy is utter insanity. It's worthy of armed revolt. The lunatics are in charge, and they are control freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies