Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you look at both fiscal and social, it was much more conservative than he was liberal.
Perhaps so, but he was a moderate.

We have had enough of those.

The saving grace for President Bush was that he was a leader, knew how to bring people together, and was a man who could and did get things done.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yeah that Bush was a real liberal....
Bush was an idiot and should not have banned the bulbs.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Perhaps so, but he was a moderate.

We have had enough of those.

The saving grace for President Bush was that he was a leader, knew how to bring people together, and was a man who could and did get things done.
He was hardly any of that. He was a smart, likeable guy but turned the country upside down.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
He was hardly any of that. He was a smart, likeable guy but turned the country upside down.
Explain, please.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Explain, please.
This would be better suited for another thread since it would be going far off from the discussion of lightbulbs.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,437 times
These "energy efficient' bulbs we are now forced to use or so dim that you could use four lamps and still not have enough light by which to read. How is this energy efficient? What about the disposal of the bulbs with mercury in them? And the price of these bulbs? They break just as easily as the incandescent. Mostly I'm totally ticked at government control over-reach.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
Quote:
Is it really more effective than heat tape that is designed to keep propane tanks warm? With the temperature difference of a light bulb and the outside of the heatbox, that box would have to have well over a foot of vacuumed insulation.
It works. The boxes I have seen have only a little insulation.

When I was a firefighter I saw a lot of homes burned and damaged due to heat tape. I would never use the stuff.

Most of the people I know that use the light bulbs run an extension cord to the box the propane tanks are in when the temp drops enough to slow the flow of propane. These propane tanks are the hundred pound type.

When I grill out at minus 20-30 I have to use my wife's hair dryer and blow it onto the propane tank for about five minutes to get the propane flowing.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atta girl View Post
These "energy efficient' bulbs we are now forced to use or so dim that you could use four lamps and still not have enough light by which to read. How is this energy efficient? What about the disposal of the bulbs with mercury in them? And the price of these bulbs? They break just as easily as the incandescent. Mostly I'm totally ticked at government control over-reach.
LED bulbs are pretty damn bright and don't have mercury. At the greater brightness they use a much less electricity. They even come in different temperatures now.

However, I agree that taking incandescent bulbs off of the market was not the right solution. They should, rather, stop subsidizing energy. That will empower consumers to make decisions that meet their needs.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atta girl View Post
The CFLs work just fine - just get the right size. The come all the way above the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb. The LEDs are much better though still more expensive.

Virtually all public spaces in the US have been fluorescent lighted for the last 60 years. So you can't possible find that you have been blind all these years can you?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Delfino View Post
I think firefighters are some of the greatest heroes in the world. I know it isn't part of the conversation, but I just wanted to say "thanks".
Thank you. Most of my firefighting was done in Barrow Alaska. Firefighting at minus 30 can be a challenge and a dilemma, you need to put the fire out but then you get cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies