Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The post you addressed is using $.10 per kW/h. The average is about $.12 an hour. By the time your grandchildren have their own place it will likely be much higher and the cost of lighting like LEDs or maybe even something like OLED will be much cheaper. The incentives for them to use incandescents will be none as in zero. The cost of still using incandescents to light their home will likely be in the tens of thousands of dollars. That's a lot of money for food and they're going to need it with 9+ billion people on the planet.
Hahaha....the height of absurd !!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 PM

Saw current price of incandescent Replacement, Halogen bulbs at Walmart tonight.
$4.67 for a 4 pack of 75 Watt LB's.

That stings a low budget person. But, I smiled as I walked away....Thankful and Blessed I could stock up a few weeks ago on 4 packs of regular incandescent 75 Watt bulbs for $1.25 a 4 pack

Got 16 bulbs for the price other folks having to pay for 4 Stinking high priced Halogen bulbs.

Yeah, it's a dirty, rotten SHAME people are having to pay High power bills and a fortune for light bulbs too.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Saw current price of incandescent Replacement, Halogen bulbs at Walmart tonight.
$4.67 for a 4 pack of 75 Watt LB's.

That stings a low budget person. But, I smiled as I walked away....Thankful and Blessed I could stock up a few weeks ago on 4 packs of regular incandescent 75 Watt bulbs for $1.25 a 4 pack

Got 16 bulbs for the price other folks having to pay for 4 Stinking high priced Halogen bulbs.

Yeah, it's a dirty, rotten SHAME people are having to pay High power bills and a fortune for light bulbs too.
And how long does that halogen bulb last compared to the obsolete incandescent light bulb?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And how long does that halogen bulb last compared to the obsolete incandescent light bulb?
You're the expert, you imply. Frankly, at $1.25 for a 4 pack, long enough.

GUARANTEE, 16 will last longer than 4 Halogen.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
You're the expert, you imply. Frankly, at $1.25 for a 4 pack, long enough.

GUARANTEE, 16 will last longer than 4 Halogen.
Maybe, but you would be saving very little.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
The post you addressed is using $.10 per kW/h. The average is about $.12 an hour. By the time your grandchildren have their own place it will likely be much higher and the cost of lighting like LEDs or maybe even something like OLED will be much cheaper. The incentives for them to use incandescents will be none as in zero. The cost of still using incandescents to light their home will likely be in the tens of thousands of dollars. That's a lot of money for food and they're going to need it with 9+ billion people on the planet.

not worried about the price of electricity. I plan on not using public utilities by that time and use very little electricity now. solar power is a nice item to have on ones home.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
And if that's the case the people will make the change all on their own just the same as no one is using oil lights and candles today. Nobody had to ban those items to get people to switch.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Using halogens you would save $2.80 over 1000 hours of use. Halogen cost is around $2.50 so you still save about $0.60 over bulb life...generally under a year.

Solar cost about $4.00 per watt installed. So for each incandescent that you will run the cost of your array goes up about $320. That is the reason off grid people pay for LED bulbs.

And the edison bulb lovers may partially get your way. The new funding bill bans funding the enforcement of the light bulb regulations. It is however possible that the manufacturing will still cease.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

And the edison bulb lovers may partially get your way. The new funding bill bans funding the enforcement of the light bulb regulations. It is however possible that the manufacturing will still cease.
haha...that answers the question I had when I saw they had Suddenly put out more 60 Watt incandescent bulbs back on the shelves at Walmart last night, after they had removed them all on the 1st of the year.

And the 60 Watt incandescent bulbs were back at 'old bargain' price => $1.00 for a 4 pack. Yaaaaay

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
not worried about the price of electricity. I plan on not using public utilities by that time and use very little electricity now. solar power is a nice item to have on ones home.
If you're off-grid, I'd be doing anything I could to bring down my energy consumption in my house and buying LEDs instead. The reason being simple: You have a direct need to buy more infrastructure if you're drawing more power, and that costs massive $$$. You'll need more batteries, more panels, etc.

It'd be insane to spend large sums of money on having to go with a larger solar/battery array because you're clinging to incandescents. For you, efficient lighting pays for itself immediately, you need to buy less infrastructure to live your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies