Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Burglars in Texas
Need to bring a gun 2 14.29%
Need to give up because everyone else has guns 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is familiar with Mr. Horn who shot the burglars next door in Texas:

Sign Up (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-shoot25nov25,1,925907.story?coll=la-news-a_section - broken link)

I have to question this aspect of it all....

Some people felt like this would keep others from robbing because "You don't know who is armed." l

Yet someone else mentioned "Won't this mean that all burglars need to be armed now?"

This is an interesting question. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Gun laws like any law is only as effective as the enforcement. We dont need more laws. We simply need only to enforce the hundreds of laws already on the books. That and really punish the offenders.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We need armed civilians to keep the criminals aware that some potential victims are ready and able to fight back. This changes the way criminals look at the odds of taking your wallet or your TV. There are very few people willing to get in a gunfight over a TV set. If I found someone robbing my home would I kill them? Not if they surrendered quietly to my citizens arrest while I called the police. I they did not surrender quietly and attacked me, I would ask the police to bring the coroner.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,429 times
Here in MA we have very strict gun laws and also very low crime. However, just because they are related doesn't mean that it's the gun laws that are contributing to it. The number of gun owners is sharply decreasing though, but I think there are many other variables in play.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Personally, gun laws really only affect the law-abiding citizens. To criminals, it's just another law they have broken (cool, dude!)

Then again, if you were a criminal, would you attempt to rob/rape a woman who can bench 300 lbs, has a concealed weapons permit with a 99% accuracy rating, and has a black belt?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
if you were a criminal, would you attempt to rob/rape a woman who can bench 300 lbs, has a concealed weapons permit with a 99% accuracy rating, and has a black belt?
Maybe as a challenge. It would be more of an ambush than a straight-up assault, but given that even police cars sometimes get broken into, the idea that 'only the weak get victimized' is not quite the case in real life.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Gun laws like any law is only as effective as the enforcement. We dont need more laws. We simply need only to enforce the hundreds of laws already on the books. That and really punish the offenders.
You are absolutely right.

Also, don't give up your guns. It's your second amendment right. I used to hate guns and wouldn't allow them in the house. But with the number of home invasions and crazy things that go on we now have a number of guns and we will never give them up. You can not relay on the government or the police to protect you.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
If the government did it's job protecting people, we wouldn't have to arm ourselves. It may not be a gun when I live on my own.. it may just be an APBT and a snow shovel or a baseball bat.... but you better believe law or not, if someone was breaking into MY HOME, I'd be windin up to beat them to a bloody pulp out of self defense for me, and behalf of my home and MY STUFF.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:55 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

Can you name at least a few of these "hundreds of laws" that are somehow not being enforced?

I do not necessarily disagree with you, but I hear this alot and I would like some more info.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
Can you name at least a few of these "hundreds of laws" that are somehow not being enforced?
For one thing, illegal carry/possession laws are rarely prosecuted, even when the evidence is very clearcut. Theoretically, illegal possession/felon in possession/concealed carry without a license is a serious crime that can hit five or ten years imprisonment in most jurisdictions. But it is usually plead down, dismissed, or not prioritized by prosecutors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies