Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Exactly.

People from the Caucasian Mountains were some of the most migratory in their early years. Not so much emigration, but immigration. Particularly from the Middle East and Anatolia. Hence a higher concentration of Islam in Abkhazia, Chechnia, Ossetia, and other areas in that region. Interesting stuff, imo.
Is the map you posted supposed to reflect haplogroups around the globe pre-colonial times?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM

525 posts, read 508,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is the map you posted supposed to reflect haplogroups around the globe pre-colonial times?
Yep...Haplogroup mutations and their subsequent movement.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
I was at a coffee shop yesterday morning and I overheard two older gentleman discussing this. I live in the same town as a major research university, so I'm not sure if these guys were professors or just two random dudes. Regardless, they were arguing about the validity of IQ tests on various grounds. One guy was against IQ tests all together and the other cited studies saying that Asians were consistently top performers and then whites, Hispanics, and blacks.

So my question is as follows: Is it inappropriate or unethical to study a racial group based on its IQ solely?
The Nazis thought it was OK!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I don't think any up-to-date geneticist still believes in race, if anything they have to believe in so many races (hundreds) that there is no point in using that term, anyway. The "charm" of the old race term was that it was so superficial that one could easily drop any individual into one of those few drawers.

Even on those haplogroup maps they only show the dominant groups for given regions, in reality the picture is much more scattered, the closer you look, the more the lines between those "races" disappear. Examples of that are places like Somalia or Oman.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Yep...Haplogroup mutations and their subsequent movement.
Subsequent movement?

The map is static. And it seems to reflect concentrations of haplogroups prior to the 15th century. Am I reading that correctly?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM

525 posts, read 508,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Subsequent movement?

The map is static. And it seems to reflect concentrations of haplogroups prior to the 15th century. Am I reading that correctly?
The directional arrows indicate possible migration patterns.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
IQ tests are BS. Ones overall intelligence is almost impossible to score. I have a good friend that's a civil engineer. He was AWESOME at math in HS. He was taking calculus when the rest of us struggled with intermediate algebra. The guy is crazy smart; however, his social skills are quite below average. He's that guy that will hit on a girl that's not into him all night and then be confused when he fails to get her number. Then we have my best friends big brother. The guy works as a concrete contractor. He's not stupid, but he was unable to make it in college due to poor grades. He is just simply not book smart. What he does have is the gift of gab. He was a ladies man before he got married to a total babe wife that's a dentist, despite not being any better looking than the rest of us. He also makes more money than all of us as well because he has the ability to BS his way into big jobs.

So who's smarter? I can guarantee that the engineer scores higher than the hustler, just like I can guarantee that a chess champion would score higher than Donald trump or Bill Gates

Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The directional arrows indicate possible migration patterns.
I understand that.

And the map is very interesting.

What I'm looking at, though, is a map giving us a rough idea of where certain haplogroups were concentrated half a millenium ago, and I wonder how they know this. They weren't testing DNA in the 1400's, and we really don't have a good understanding of ancient or historical migration patterns. Every time we discover new evidence about those migration patterns, every time, it shows more migration then we previously believed. If every new discovery shows more fluidity in historical populations, then the mutation and migration of haplogroups might be more fluid then we know. When we extrapolate history from current data and current theories, I think we need to examine the current data and current theories. I wonder if haplogroups were more transient and migratory than your map reflects, and even more transient and migratory than current scientists believe, that it means that genetically, race is even more illusory. I do think haplogroups are interesting, but we have so much more to learn about genetics, and about the people around the world, and about ourselves.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Here's another question...

The NBA is about 80% black. Overwhelmingly, most NBA players come from 1. The United States 2. Europe. The United States is about 13% black, Europe is < 5% black.

There have been 20 NBA dunk contests. 19 were won by a black player, 1 was won by a white player.

The NFL is about 65-70% black. NFL players overwhelmingly come from the United States which again has a 13% black population. A few come from Canada and Europe which have much smaller black populations comparatively.

Of the main speed positions in the NFL (cornerback, wide receiver, running back):

-In the last 28 years, one white running back has rushed for over 1,000 yards (Peyton Hillis). In 2013 alone 9 black players have already rushed for over 1,000 yards and there are still two games left
-None of the 64 starting cornerbacks in the NFL is white. In fact, there isn't a single white cornerback in the league at all.
-About 10% of starting wide receivers are white

89 sprinters have ran the 100-meter in under 10 seconds. 88 are black and from West African descent, 1 is white (a Frenchman who ran a 9.98). Not a single Asian has ever done it and they are over 60% of the world's population.

This is a few years old but the numbers have changed very little since:

Is it racist to say that men of West African descent are on average faster sprinters and naturally more suited to sports that require speed and explosiveness?
Also East Africans dominate distance running. Since 1988 only 2 non-East-Africans have won the Boston Marathon. Yet no East African has ever broken 10 seconds in the 100 meter dash. However it is a leap to go from physical to mental.

How do we explain that Hispanics score low, given that Hsipanics are a mix of Asian (who crossed the land bridge) and European (Pizarro, etc) who both score high? You can't explain it unless you realize that IQ is more a function of culture than genetics.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The Nazis thought it was OK!!!
the nazis ate food too. so we better stop eating food..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies