Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I was at a coffee shop yesterday morning and I overheard two older gentleman discussing this. I live in the same town as a major research university, so I'm not sure if these guys were professors or just two random dudes. Regardless, they were arguing about the validity of IQ tests on various grounds. One guy was against IQ tests all together and the other cited studies saying that Asians were consistently top performers and then whites, Hispanics, and blacks.

So my question is as follows: Is it inappropriate or unethical to study a racial group based on its IQ solely?
It's dumb.

An Asian with an IQ of 60 has the same IQ as a white with an IQ of 60. A black with an IQ of 150 has the same IQ as a white with an IQ of 150.

The groups are far too big and group results really don't mean much as far as an individual.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it is inappropriate if you work in academics and want to keep your job, yeah.

people will question your motivation; certain science is taboo.

right, like sickle-cell anemia, or resistance to diseases like malaria

totally trivial
this is my answer to that.

Deaf white cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

white cats are still domestic cats. they are the same as black cats.

your genes come from your parents and their genes came from their parents, etc. a population that has intermingled for many generations are going to have commonalities among its members.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
So my question is as follows: Is it inappropriate or unethical to study a racial group based on its IQ solely?
It's appropriate to study anything. Humans are curious by nature.

Publishing the results of such studies..... especially if they are likely to anger the P.C. crowd since facts don't normally jive with their ideology .....are a different story.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
there is no "we" , since i'm not talking to you. i was responding to the quote that said:

All the markers that signify race--skin color, hair texture, eye shape--are trivial from a biological point of view.

This is untrue. A caucasian person of, say, Norwegian descent, living in Brazil, does not have any unique resistance to malaria.

It is not a product of how close to the equator you live; it is a product of your genetics and the geographic region in which they evolved.
the funny thing about this discussion is that people who advocate iq/race studies don't really even understand what they are discussing, like the above poster. all they know is "whites are smarter than blacks. d'uh."

Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
this is my answer to that.

Deaf white cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

white cats are still domestic cats. they are the same as black cats.

your genes come from your parents and their genes came from their parents, etc. a population that has intermingled for many generations are going to have commonalities among its members.
if that is the answer, what is the question?

cats are a species. humans are also a species. species share genetic traits. nobody disputes that.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Didn't read the whole thread, might do so when time permits, but as a black person I don't think it is inappropriate.

It actually still occurs and even IQ tests are still used. There have been studies that have even shown that when "motivated" for a reward or prize that black kids who have test the average 80-85 IQ of black Americans are retested after told they will get candy if they try harder that they score in the average white range of 100 IQ points and many people don't believe that IQ is set in stone based on this.

Also, I do think that many people, when speaking of IQ, think that people who score low on school based standardized testing have low IQs when this is not true so there is somewhat of a misconception there as well.
Well first they'd have to define and limit "race". Who is black? Would half-white Obama be black? His Kenyan roots wouldn't be anything like the roots of most black Americans. Africa is a huge continent, and people from one part of Africa could be genetically quite different from those from another part.

And who qualifies as white? Would Middle Easterners be white or black? And how many races would they figure there are? How many black Americans actually have some white or Indian ancestors? And same with whites. The traditional one-drop rule means someone with more white ancestors than black ones is counted as a black but obviously most of their dna comes from the whites.

I can see studies that involve the actually dna haploids but not something as vague as race. DNA is interesting -- but I don't see how race really could be. Also how do they eliminate other influences like culture and subcultures?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
the funny thing about this discussion is that people who advocate iq/race studies don't really even understand what they are discussing, like the above poster. all they know is "whites are smarter than blacks. d'uh."
seeing as how i am "the above poster" you mention, tell me, where did i say that?

in fact, go ahead and show me where i said any group was smarter than any other group.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Bingo. That's pretty much all it is.

They want additional studies to come out and confirm things that they already believe anyway. I don't know why they're so giddy about the topic...they don't even know what they'd do with the study results. They know what they'd LIKE to do with the results, but they won't say it here.

I mean, you really need a scientist to make you feel good about yourselves?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:44 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They want additional studies to come out and confirm things that they already believe anyway. I don't know why they're so giddy about the topic...they don't even know what they'd do with the study results. They know what they'd LIKE to do with the results, but they won't say it here.
So, what is it that people would secretly like to do with the results of scientific research, but they aren't saying?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what is it that people would secretly like to do with the results of scientific research, but they aren't saying?
i'm wondering the same thing

apparently there's some dystopian "end goal" i'm supposed to want, and supposed to know about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies