U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 PM

8,523 posts, read 6,091,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There was an elderly couple in Halifax who donated their entire $11.3 million lottery winnings to charity, as well.
Elderly Couple Wins Lottery and Donate Almost All of it to Charity

They were already millionaires. But it's all good what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 PM

15,086 posts, read 12,324,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
They were already millionaires. But it's all good what they did.
They were? I had never read that they were millionaires prior to winning the lottery.

The Larges’ story prompted media attention from around the world. The couple handled the fuss with grace and good humour, welcoming a parade of reporters into their 19th-century house.
At the time, they were driving a five-year-old truck and a 13-year-old car. They had neither a microwave nor voice-mail. The couple had always lived modestly, retiring to their native Nova Scotia after years in Ontario, where he worked as a welder and steelworker and she was employed at a cosmetics factory.
But they were materially content and felt no desire to go on a spending spree.
“We’re not big livers, we don’t live high,” Ms. Large said then. “We’re country. We weren’t born with a silver spoon in our mouths.”
Scammers hound N.S. lottery winner who gave windfall away - The Globe and Mail

I never heard of millionaires working in factories, but you never know...

Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 AM

22,611 posts, read 28,172,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
With taxes and upkeep that place would cost you a lot more than $10 million.
Which would be no problem if I had a couple of hundred million dollars.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,986 posts, read 5,871,226 times
after i found out that my degree wasn't worth sh... and i wasn't going anywhere in life, i have never played the lottery so much in my life..seems like the only way i'll get out of this hole since i took all the society tips in being success (going to college, pick a real major, from a good school, get work experience and if that fails start a business)

Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM

26,157 posts, read 15,945,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679
The lottery isn't supposed to be reachable, it's supposed to be a tax on stupidity with proceeds going to fund education.
Yes its SUPPOSED TO BE but who knows what they do with the $$$$$$$$

WHO KNOWS IF ANYONE REALLY EVER WINS!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM

15,086 posts, read 12,324,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes its SUPPOSED TO BE but who knows what they do with the $$$$$$$$

WHO KNOWS IF ANYONE REALLY EVER WINS!!!!!!!
My mom's friend won several million dollars. Couldn't have happened to nicer woman, or anyone who deserved it more.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 AM

37,227 posts, read 19,757,833 times
The 2 people that won this today, will disagree with everyone who is saying they were stupid for playing and proves them wrong....

Just saying...

Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 AM

10,857 posts, read 6,488,811 times
I was rather amused to hear this morning that, after the announcement was made last night that one of the two winning tickets was sold at some shop in California, people started arriving at the shop (closed for the night) to take photographs of said shop.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 AM

14,323 posts, read 19,876,842 times
I came very close to winning, and did win some money. I picked my own numbers. I noticed that the quick pick combinations didn't yield one number that was picked.

Maybe luckier next time.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

69,360 posts, read 56,706,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I came very close to winning, and did win some money. I picked my own numbers. I noticed that the quick pick combinations didn't yield one number that was picked.

Maybe luckier next time.
I really wish you would have won, then I could have heard all of your stories about how you were going to redistribute your newly found wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies