Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM

312 posts, read 494,259 times

Advertisements

Oh boy another thread for cons to show their complete ignorance on the meaning of "freedom of speech." Freedom of speech allows you to speak freely without interference from the government, it does not allow you to speak freely without criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post
So you must think that A&E is over reacting?

He has a great law suit for being discriminated for his religious beliefs. That's still a right too you know.
Just like color, or sex.
Nope, if I used racist remarks when talking about my boss am I allowed to say that my religion believes one race to be superior to all others when I get sacked and my firing was religious persecution?

The days of disguising hate and discrimination as religious beliefs and "morals" is over. Cons know this and this is why they lash out whenever another one gets called out on it.

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Gods creations are not all freaks of nature, unless you are relating blacks as freaks of nature....

Strawman often?
Your just being silly now.
You do realise that homosexuality is found in thousands of animal species. So much for you freaks of nature argument. Try again.

I'm drawing a parallel between past persecution of blacks and the current persecution of gays.

511 posts, read 799,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, you mean like this?

Phil Robertson himself admitted in the interview he had lots of sex and drugs in the 60s.
That was before he became a Christian, and one of his sons did wait until marriage.

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I've been down this road 100 times on this board. Trust me, everyone understands what you are saying, but they aren't going to admit it. Challenge people to think critically and logically about their fears or prejudices and they come up with nothing, but because they are either scared or prejudice they won't admit it, so they will just keep using the same old illogical, insane arguments.
This. ^^^^

Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've only seen commercials and that's enough for me to know it's not anything I want to waste my time on. I can't think of any "reality tv" I would. I can't figure out what people get out of this stuff, it's kind of pathetic.
Everyone enjoys different things, and I find it kind of pretentious for you to judge. I don't watch this show, but enjoy a handful of other reality shows. Why? I dunno... why do people enjoy monster truck shows, ballets, documentaries about birds?? To each his/her own, and I don't understand why one form of entertainment is lauded as being "above another."

And this coming from a reference librarian who also plays classical violin/viola! I can go from performing a Mahler symphony to watching "Millionaire Matchmaker," and find some amount of enjoyment in each. Does the fact that I watch a few reality shows make me stupid or pathetic? Hardly.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You do realise that homosexuality is found in thousands of animal species. So much for you freaks of nature argument. Try again.

I'm drawing a parallel between past persecution of blacks and the current persecution of gays.
Animals eat their young too. Should we model after that behavior as well?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Gods creations are not all freaks of nature, unless you are relating blacks as freaks of nature....
Are you saying gays are "freaks of nature?"

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Well first off, I always stand behind anyone and everyone in this country when it comes to the freedom of speech regardless if I agree with what is being said or not. If I don't agree with or don't like what that person is saying I'll stop listening or stop watching.

Gay people aren't like that, they're some of the most intolerant people around and I'm sure you fit that bill perfectly based on the things you've posted here already. I fully support gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption, gay whatever... I also fully support Phil Robertson's right to speak his mind about homosexuality
And if he were a white supremacist he would have the right to speak his mind. Would you still tolerate his beliefs. I wouldn't. I would take steps to do all I could to remove him from any show he was on.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 PM

723 posts, read 634,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
This is false. Most of the so called animal homosexuality is really an act of male animals showing dominance. It has nothing to do with same sex attraction.
Well that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
And if you think gays have been persecuted on the exact same level as blacks, tell me, did we have gays only restrooms, or gays only sports teams?
Burned at the stake..... just saying.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 PM

511 posts, read 799,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
True, however I wouldn't be surprised if A&E ends up shooting themselves in the foot here.
After all, it's probably a fair bet that many fans of the show agree with his comments and that there aren't many gays in their target audience.

I dont watch the show but personaly I don't have much use for political correctness because it's just fascism disguised as politeness.
So I'd find it ironically hilarious if A&E's instance on being PC ended up costing them viewers.
Facebook has lit up over this. I'm seeing hundreds and hundreds of comments supporting Phil. Most of the comments on yahoo supported him as well. A&E is willing to give up their cash cow for the almighty powerful GLAAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies