Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times

Advertisements

I can guarantee right now there is a huge line of cable channels ready to grab the rights to the Duck Dynasty folks to get a new TV show going for them. A&E is screwing themselves big time in this one.

I do agree that Freedom Of Speech gives him the right to say what he feels however you own what you say and there may be reprecussions from what you say (such as a suspension or firing). People mistake Freedom of Speech for what it actually is all the time. But, there are many viewpoints about this. He can not agree with the behaviors of some people and state his opinion perfectly. If A&E wants to get rid of him, fine. But they are looking like hypocrites here when they have shows on about murder and sex and violence but they can one guy for his opinion on what is sinful. Hate speech? No. Anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

I bet they bring him back by next year, creating a whole new wave of publicity since "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Dissenting opinions will not be tolerated in America any more.

Censor and punish those that voice opposing opinions.
The road to Utopia will be paved with many bodies.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
He quoted a passage from the very scripture that is aligned with his religious beliefs. Last time I checked, we are a nation that does not prosecute someone based on their faith.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Storage Wars is A&E's cash cow, they did the right thing and hopefully will fire them. They cancelled dog the bounty hunter after his racist remarks, so I'm sure they will do the same for the duck dynasty anti-gay hate speak.
wrong as usual, tempie. DD's ratings dwarf those of storage wars.

'Duck Dynasty' Season Finale Breaks A&E Ratings Records With 6.5 Million Viewers - Deadline.com

Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
How the hell is this a top story on CNN? Is this a new low in our divided and distracted society?

We not only still care about "reality" shows, but we care about what the "reality" stars have to say?
We not only care about what they have to say, but we have to censor and try to dissent their opinion if it's not one held by the majority?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 AM

577 posts, read 435,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Who needs to be told that the views of a star don't necessarily reflect the views of the network? That's just plain common sense.

A&E will lose this one. They should have kept quiet. DD is far more popular as a show than A&E is as a network. People watch A&E because of the popularity of the shows. People don't watch shows because they are on A&E. Simple logic.
IN order to remain "neutral" on any topic, when someone says these kinds of things it is best to distance yourself from the opinion itself. Saying nothing gives the indication of supporting such views. Any station would be wise tos tate this

Remember this past summer with Big Brother - how CBS then started putting a disclaimer before all episodes stating that opionins stated do not reflect that of the station. It may be a "given" but still needs to be said.

THey don't want to alienate any of their viewers. It would appear that in this case, they are alienating ducky dynasty loving christian right viewers . They choose a side by suspending the guy... they could have remained neutral on the topic with a simple statement.. then move on.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dissenting opinions will not be tolerated in America any more.

Censor and punish those that voice opposing opinions.
The road to Utopia will be paved with many bodies.
I think A&E will regret what they did and the Duck Dynasty family will come out winners.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I don't watch Duck Dynasty. Apparently they are very popular as I keep hearing about it over and over again.

He obviously said something that was pretty offensive.

Well.. DUH.. what did you expect!! Given the region they are from and their background, is anyone surprised that they would hold such views.. not I.

I don't agree with him one bit.

But, he does have the rigth to say it.. and he will face the wrath of a very opinionated public on either side - either in support of or against his views. Cause, while he has the right to say it, we all have the right to chastise him or praise him for it.

A&E has suspended him from Duck Dynasty. From a business and PR perspective, they felt it was the right thing to do. However, I feel that the better thing to have done would have been to simply come out with a statement that the views of those on their reality television show does not reflect the views of the station or stations employees. And while they don't neccesarily agree they recognize that he has every right to be entitled to and express his own opinion on the matter - and that would be that.
I agree with your last paragraph completely. I bet the people at A&E are wishing they had done exactly that, since Duck Dynasty is their cash cow. You just know that Duck Dynasty's days on A&E are probably numbered now.

As for your assessment about the region they are from and their background, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Despite the beards, these guys are all well educated, family oriented, successful business people. You'd probably like the show unless you are one of those irrational liberals that think all Christians are no better than the Taliban.

There are a number of those on this board, which I find strange since I am an agnostic living in the Bible Belt, and couldn't disagree more. The Christians I know are the most loving, helpful, amazing people I know. I only wish I had that kind of faith in an afterlife.

I think the backlash against Phil's comments by the gay community are counter-productive. Can't people just publicly disagree with people without wanting to make them disappear? I'm against most boycotts for this reason, called for from both the left and the right. I remember a time when people could discuss opposing views without absolute hatred of the opposition. I feel that the Internet has made people crazy. The comments sections of papers and forums like this have shown me opinions people hold from all over the country, and it's not pretty. Very polarizing.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2013 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: discussing moderation is against the TOS

Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
It is a top story on CNN(Created News Network) because they don't want to focus on the real story, which is Obama changing the rules on Obamacare, again.
Hah, I like that-and very true.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68
Storage Wars is A&E's cash cow, they did the right thing and hopefully will fire them. They cancelled dog the bounty hunter after his racist remarks, so I'm sure they will do the same for the duck dynasty anti-gay hate speak.
And Dog is still on A&E

http://www.aetv.com/dog-the-bounty-hunter

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies