Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times

Advertisements

Since when does expressing one opinion become "hate speech", now if he had stated that all gays should he killed, then that would be hate speech. All he did was express his views on the gay lifestyle as he saw it. What has this country come to, I say something that may hurt your feelings and then you want to shut me up, get over it. A person is entitled to their opinion and entitled to express that opinion even if a group of people don't like it. People need to quit whining everything their feelings gets hurt, they need to grow up and face the real world instead of trying to make the whole world conform to their point of view.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
I don't watch, and don't understand, this obsession or attraction to "Reality TV". From what I gather - Duck Dynasty is one of those shows. It's all about their Reality. I agree that the Media is hyping this to take heat off of Obama, particularly the Entertainment Media that has no clue about what is going on with anything outside of their bubble.

According to Variety - Duck Dynasty is the biggest TV show in history - whatever that means. A&E says the show will go on without the "Patriarch" of the clan with no problems. I read that and thought - you fools, he is the leader of this bunch. What are the odds that the rest of the Robertson family is just going to dump him? A&E thinks the money will be enough to keep the show going without their leader …… I didn't think so. A Facebook page popped up to support Robertson and had a half Million 'likes' in a matter of hours.

The Robertson family has finally made a statement - I was correct.

'Duck Dynasty' Family: 'We Cannot Imagine the Show' Without Phil Robertson - Hollywood Reporter

Robertson was a fool to give an interview with a Leftist media like GQ and let himself get sucked into giving his personal opinions about his religion. This is a recipe for disaster in today's PC world of "if I don't like what you say - then you must be fired, sued or boycotted". I didn't like what he said, but I don't like what a lot of people say ….. up to and including our President who just received the Liar of the Year award.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Since when does expressing one opinion become "hate speech", now if he had stated that all gays should he killed, then that would be hate speech. All he did was express his views on the gay lifestyle as he saw it. What has this country come to, I say something that may hurt your feelings and then you want to shut me up, get over it. A person is entitled to their opinion and entitled to express that opinion even if a group of people don't like it. People need to quit whining everything their feelings gets hurt, they need to grow up and face the real world instead of trying to make the whole world conform to their point of view.
When you disagree with a leftist...you are either a hater, bigot, or a racist....

Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How the hell is this a top story on CNN? Is this a new low in our divided and distracted society?

We not only still care about "reality" shows, but we care about what the "reality" stars have to say?
We not only care about what they have to say, but we have to censor and try to dissent their opinion if it's not one held by the majority?
I'd venture to guess that Phil Robertson's opinion is shared by more people than you think. He basically said love the sinner, hate the sin. What's wrong with that? He wasn't saying gay sex needs to be outlawed. He was saying that it's only for God to judge. Agree or disagree, it's not like he was advocating rounding up all homosexuals and putting them in camps or something. He was asked his opinion, and gave an honest answer.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree with your last paragraph completely. I bet the people at A&E are wishing they had done exactly that, since Duck Dynasty is their cash cow. You just know that Duck Dynasty's days on A&E are probably numbered now.

As for your assessment about the region they are from and their background, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Despite the beards, these guys are all well educated, family oriented, successful business people. You'd probably like the show unless you are one of those irrational liberals that think all Christians are no better than the Taliban..
What I meant simply is that they are the "bible belt" and anti gay sentiment exists strongly in those regions. I don't watch Duck Dynasty because of a total lack of interest in what they do.. no other reason. I love TV and so I prioritize my viewing based on topics I find interesting. My fiance watches Moonshiners (I find it hysterical sometimes).. but don't watch that religiously either. (lol... no punn intended)

Quote:
There are a number of those on this board, which I find strange since I am an agnostic living in the Bible Belt, and couldn't disagree more. The Christians I know are the most loving, helpful, amazing people I know. I only wish I had that kind of faith in an afterlife.
I suppose it all comes down to experiences with such individuals. I'm not agnostic, I'm spiritual. My very religious Jewish friend finds it fascinating that many of the conclusions I draw on things in life are similar to that of the Torah, but I never studied the Torah. That aside, I find Christianity to be very narrow in their views (ironically very religious Jews (not orthodox - they are called frome (spelling?) are not very narrow - who would have thought that?).

Quote:
I think the backlash against Phil's comments by the gay community are counter-productive. Can't people just publicly disagree with people without wanting to make them disappear? I'm against most boycotts for this reason, called for from both the left and the right. I remember a time when people could discuss opposing views without absolute hatred of the opposition. I feel that the Internet has made people crazy. The comments sections of papers and forums like this have shown me opinions people hold from all over the country, and it's not pretty. Very polarizing.
Yeah.. I think I agree.. it's really a big to do about something so silly. THsoe that do not like the views of those on Duck Dynasty simply can choose not to view the show and those that do will.. and the advertisers that both crowds attract will advertise on the show.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
When you disagree with a leftist...you are either a hater, bigot, or a racist....
My post, and I"m very liberal, proves you wrong about "leftists"

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
My post, and I"m very liberal, proves you wrong about "leftists"
You're not a member of Congress that speaks to the press.
Reid and Pelosi are and their words carry far and wide.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Storage Wars is A&E's cash cow, they did the right thing and hopefully will fire them. They cancelled dog the bounty hunter after his racist remarks, so I'm sure they will do the same for the duck dynasty anti-gay hate speak.
Storage Wars doesn't have near the audience that DD has. DD is the biggest thing A & E has going. DD is their "cash cow" if any show is.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I don't watch Duck Dynasty. Apparently they are very popular as I keep hearing about it over and over again.

He obviously said something that was pretty offensive.

Well.. DUH.. what did you expect!! Given the region they are from and their background, is anyone surprised that they would hold such views.. not I.

I don't agree with him one bit.

But, he does have the rigth to say it.. and he will face the wrath of a very opinionated public on either side - either in support of or against his views. Cause, while he has the right to say it, we all have the right to chastise him or praise him for it.

A&E has suspended him from Duck Dynasty. From a business and PR perspective, they felt it was the right thing to do. However, I feel that the better thing to have done would have been to simply come out with a statement that the views of those on their reality television show does not reflect the views of the station or stations employees. And while they don't neccesarily agree they recognize that he has every right to be entitled to and express his own opinion on the matter - and that would be that.
My wife and I do watch the show, and are at odds over this. I feel that you are 100% correct, and I don't ascribe to his ideals either. My wife has a gay brother, and is appalled at what the right wing media is doing, so she feels he shouldn't have said it.

Funny part, after watching the show for over a year now I don't think Phil cares what others think, and he surely doesn't need the money.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
GOnna do wonders for ratings There is a DD marathon this weekend. Coincidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies