Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,649,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one person was insulted though.

He was punished for his opinion being against the current social justice brigade.
He wouldn't have been fired if he voiced pro-gay opinions would he ?
The militant busybodies are taking over. Why? Because the average person just wants to live their life in peace, they let things they may not agree with roll off their backs.

The busybodies are obsessed, and as soon as they hear something they disagree with.... they're off and running, "off with their heads." Because they are so vocal, they give their agendas an outsized influence, seeming to represent a larger share of the population then they do.

The problem is, that these busybodies are inserting themselves into places like the media and politics, because this is where they can affect the most change and promote their views and agendas.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,063,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
He quoted a passage from the very scripture that is aligned with his religious beliefs. Last time I checked, we are a nation that does not prosecute someone based on their faith.
I think you meant to say "persecute" and if a private business entity chooses not to contunue to employ him based on the indelicate verbal delivery of is beliefs, that is their perogative. I do agree with the OP, it is no surprise that a redneck style show would proliferate redneck views. IMO, this is just free publicity for the show and the guy and I would never have even known what this bigot said as I never watch the show and I certainly don't follow his career. I wouldn't know him if I fell over him and this will be old news in about 15 minutes.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The militant busybodies are taking over. Why? Because the average person just wants to live their life in peace, they let things they may not agree with roll off their backs.

The busybodies are obsessed, and as soon as they hear something they disagree with.... they're off and running, "off with their heads." Because they are so vocal, they give their agendas an outsized influence, seeming to represent a larger share of the population then they do.

The problem is, that these busybodies are inserting themselves into places like the media and politics, because this is where they can affect the most change and promote their views and agendas.
I agree. Very vocal and they seek revenge in many cases.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 AM

723 posts, read 632,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Correct, it's not about free speech. It's about tolerance and discrimination, or more specifically, certain activist groups inability to be tolerant of others views, and discriminating against him.

A whole lot of "we are diverse and tolerant, as long as you don't say anything we disagree with" going on within GLAAD and A&E.
Again, we get to respond to what he says. That's our own freedom of speech. What happens afterward is up to A&E and they made their decision.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,267,093 times
He does indeed have the right to say it, that's in the Constitution. Has it served him to say it? No. He made himself a lot of trouble using his religion to bash other people for something that is none of his business, that being their private lives and sexuality. I'll support his right to free speech, but not his bigotry. Hate in the name of Jesus is still hate.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,227,524 times
One of the reasons the show is so popular is that this family is honorable, community-minded, and family oriented, with a strong Christian tradition that ends large family meals with prayer. It shows many scenes illustrating the clash of rural and urban populations living too close, but gives respect to each, since the Robinson Family is comprised of each.

Having any of the Robinson familiy other than the "yuppie wives and yuppie children" approve of gays would be simply ridiculous.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM

18,340 posts, read 18,947,943 times
tv shows come and go, this one will to. when you're in the public eye you are always "on", what you say does have an impact, especially if it is viewed by a lot of folks as negative.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,184,796 times
3 million homosexuals in the US, 80 million Christians... nice job A&E. The guy was quoting scripture in the statement, which was done in his own home and supposed to be about his views.

IT IS A REALITY STAR... Why are they so surprised when they get REALITY and a REAL opinion from the Star.

Duck Dynasty doesn't need A&E.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:22 AM

723 posts, read 632,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
He does indeed have the right to say it, that's in the Constitution. Has it served him to say it? No. He made himself a lot of trouble using his religion to bash other people for something that is none of his business, that being their private lives and sexuality. I'll support his right to free speech, but not his bigotry. Hate in the name of Jesus is still hate.
Indeed. It's not about his religion; it's about his insulting and offensive statements, which would cause anyone to get fired. Even gay rights supporters like Alec Baldwin, who said something much less vicious. Meanwhile, just being gay or being perceived to be gay can cause you to be fired in over half the states in the country, so this doesn't even rise to the basic level of persecution experienced by those he was insulting.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,780,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
3 million homosexuals in the US, 80 million Christians... nice job A&E. The guy was quoting scripture in the statement, which was done in his own home and supposed to be about his views.

IT IS A REALITY STAR... Why are they so surprised when they get REALITY and a REAL opinion from the Star.

Duck Dynasty doesn't need A&E.
Which bible verse says gays are drunkards, thieves, prostitutes adulterers and engage in beastiality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies