U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there is an obvious fallacy in your argument with regards to mechanics. salary.com looks like they started with government definitions of various levels of what they pay mechanics, which is a standard hourly rate. however in the private sector mechanics get paid based on flat rate. that means they get paid by the job. as an example, a valve job on a 76 thunderbird is supposed to take, according to the flat rate manual, 8 hours. if the mechanic does the job in 7 hours, he has beaten the flat rate book, but he gets paid for 8 hours work. if on the other hand he takes 9 hours, he loses money because he still gets paid for 8 hours.
Okay, then your argument still doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
 
562 posts, read 536,686 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Economic Fact 1
There's no such thing as 'economic fact'.
that's economics 101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM
 
6,895 posts, read 2,526,357 times
Reputation: 3757
The minimum wage should be $0. Period. Then the market will decide what any job in that particular market is worth. If the wage is so low that the employer cannot fill the position, they will adjust the rate upwards of their own volition, and will not need to be forced at gunpoint to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,057,675 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What about the ones who lose their jobs? Won't they need food stamps and welfare programs?

The ones who lose their jobs will be the least experienced, i.e. teens who don't need a job t live on. High turnover in low-wage jobs will put them back to work if they want jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
 
6,895 posts, read 2,526,357 times
Reputation: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
There's no such thing as 'economic fact'.
that's economics 101
Quantum mechanics would suggest there are no facts period, only educated guesses with varying levels of uncertainty.

But for the purposes of Internet forums, the word "fact" used with economics means "true so often and with such reliability that it indeed takes on the appearance of a fact, even if quantum mechanics dictates nothing can really be a fact."

Feel free to replace the word fact with the lengthier qualifier if it makes you happy. Or did you have some other pedantic nit to pick instead of facing the economic realities of why minimum wage laws are bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The minimum wage should be $0. Period. Then the market will decide what any job in that particular market is worth. If the wage is so low that the employer cannot fill the position, they will adjust the rate upwards of their own volition, and will not need to be forced at gunpoint to do so.
Most people get paid above minimum wage, so there is nothing wrong setting a floor so that people can't be paid below that and be left falling further behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,057,675 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wish people would stop waiting for government to do something. They will be sadly disappointed with the results if they do. Just always do what it takes to help yourself because there are too many people hanging on hoping government will legislate prosperity. It won't happen.

??? Homeowners have a pretty good track record of enlisting government in legislating their prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 PM
 
6,895 posts, read 2,526,357 times
Reputation: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The ones who lose their jobs will be the least experienced
Highlighting the group most hurt by minimum wage laws...those with the fewest skills looking to get more skilled. This is disproportionately younger people, and among that group it is disproportionately black and Hispanic young people who see the highest unemployment effect of minimum wage laws...which is pretty much why they were enacted in the first place, to stop freed slaves from taking manual labor jobs away from uneducated white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:44 PM
 
562 posts, read 536,686 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
minimum wage laws are bad?
you missed my point. what's peddled as fact in economics, isn't.

humans aren't 'rational agents'...never have been, never will be. if that's the assumption, then it's all garbage to begin with.

the whole field is questionable at best and i don't condone making decisions that affect millions of people based off of an iffy field.

economics needs to be relegated to what it actually is. nothing more than speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,304,089 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The minimum wage should be $0. Period. Then the market will decide what any job in that particular market is worth. If the wage is so low that the employer cannot fill the position, they will adjust the rate upwards of their own volition, and will not need to be forced at gunpoint to do so.
With no minimum wage, business would lobby government to flood the country with even more unskilled and desperate immigrants and they would agree to work for almost nothing but of course collect all kinds of government services paid by our taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top