Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The state elected Terry McAuliffe, among the most unethical and slimy Democrats in politics today.

Thankfully, the good Commonwealth had enough sense to elect 67 Republicans to the 100-member House of Delegates so he will essentially accomplish nothing. I was fearful of the state losing its triple A credit rating (as we've seen our Federal Government lose its own top credit rating under a Democrat president), its place as one of the best states to do business and a great place to live, but thankfully, his agenda will be dead on arrival.
This is good news! Thank God! There is still hope left for Virginia, and the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I guess gone are the days when politicians worked togethor to govern, and are instead pushed by wingnuts to fight like caged animals while things fall apart around our heads.
Kind of like the way Obama is so willing to work together with Republicans, and Harry Reid essentially says "Our way or the highway," and shutting down government and blaming Republicans? Those wingnuts? The ones who shoved ObamaCare down our throats?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Republicans only hold the Virginia House due to extreme gerrymandering. This will end as Virginia moves further away from the Republicans.
Of course Democrats NEVER gerrymander. Right?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Of course Democrats NEVER gerrymander. Right?
Yep, both sides do it, and districts should be done by a non-partisan group that simply draws boundaries based off population so that we have more purple districts.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
The state elected Terry McAuliffe, among the most unethical and slimy Democrats in politics today.

Thankfully, the good Commonwealth had enough sense to elect 67 Republicans to the 100-member House of Delegates so he will essentially accomplish nothing. I was fearful of the state losing its triple A credit rating (as we've seen our Federal Government lose its own top credit rating under a Democrat president), its place as one of the best states to do business and a great place to live, but thankfully, his agenda will be dead on arrival.
Very good point. He'll get nothing done. A wasted 4 years.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Just one of the many reasons I was more than happy to get out of Virginia. I may have grown up there, but no one can force me to stay there. I haven't been back there since I left and only plan on making a trip there this spring to show my wife where I grew up and take her to some historical things because that is the only good thing that state has going for it.
And now you live in tax-happy New York/New Jersey, the 'oh so wonderful' alternative to Virginia?

LOL

Talk about a misguided individual. Whatever floats your boat, man.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No thanks, NoVa is barely any better than the rest of the state.
No wonder. Look at all the petty liberals there who now get to decide what's good for the state. Thankfully my guns are safe unlike in MD where they prefer banning "assault weapons" and decide how many rounds I should have instead of tougher criminal sentencing for violent acts and so forth.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very good point. He'll get nothing done. A wasted 4 years.
He'll probably get SOMETHING done, but not completely. Hopefully we'll keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And now you live in tax-happy New York/New Jersey, the 'oh so wonderful' alternative to Virginia?

LOL

Talk about a misguided liberal.
Fixed.

That is one less out of VA.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
McAullife barely beat Cuccinelli...Both are too extreme. It should be interesting how this pans out . This is a good article.
Close result in Va. governor’s race hardens GOP divisions - The Washington Post

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
It's probably the best overall state to live in.
I was born in DC, raised in Maryland, and spent 15 of my career years in N. VA before moving to Texas 13 years ago ...

The state is a beautiful place, particularly out west in the Shenandoah valley region. But when I was there, the taxes were outrageous, and local government out of control. The Fairfax couty government center was an example of the parasitic feeding of government on the public. That monstrosity of opulance on the public dollar serves as an example for why government requires considerable restraint, which was nowhere to be found.

Fairfax county police were virtual highwaymen, acting like nazis long before nazi behavior became trendy. I recall being charged $1,000 annually just for my little county sticker for my vehicle, and how just after the renewal date, police would spread out, cruisers parked at entrances to neighborhoods, looking for those expired stickers.

Traffic? God aweful traffic, and 66 Hov going into DC was virtually empty, because of the difficulty in coordinating 3 passengers just to use the road at rush hour. Almost criminal, given the logjam on every other available route into town.

I miss old friends ... I miss being able to attend Redskin games ... I miss Wolftrap ... I miss trips out west, and trips to the beach VA beach and Ocean City ... I miss the Kennedy Center, and a few other things too .. but with that said, I don't regret leaving the traffic, high taxes, high cost of living, and the stress of working like a slave to make ends meet, only to be harassed by police trying to achieve their quotas to pay for the luxury of local bureaucrats picking at the bones of the citizenry.

James Madison would not be proud of what Virginia has become .... an extension of the District of Criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies