Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A job isn't a right. It's a voluntary contract, and the other party in the contract, namely the employer, should be able to use whatever criteria they feel like for agreeing or disagreeing with an employment contract for anyone. If they want to use looks, mannerisms, or hair color to say yea or nay to an applicant, it's their company, their job. If they feel like expanding the list of wildly subjective criteria to credit scores, then so be it.
Wildly subjective criteria, like race, age, gender???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People change in 20 years.
Have you hired anyone lately ?

I became a certified teacher when I retired.
Do you know the hoops and checks I had to go through for the state ?
Thankfully it's just once because it's on file with the state and updated by the state annually so each school district only has to check with the state.

This is the way society has evolved. Like it or not that is how it is today.
You have the movement spying on your every move.
You have employers wanting to know the details of your life both socially and financially.

We lost any aspect of privacy a long time ago.
We only last any aspect of privacy as far as people willing to give it up like yourself.

I'm still willing to defend my privacy. And so are others.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sure. Why not?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
We only last any aspect of privacy as far as people willing to give it up like yourself.

I'm still willing to defend my privacy. And so are others.
I defend it to a point.
But to be a teacher in a classroom these days requires some extensive checking.
Seeing how society is these days they are still not doing a good enough job as you read of all the teacher/student scandals still popping up in the MSM.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sure. Why not?
Because systematic discrimination in a society is a caste system that is a mockery of justice and equality, just a couple of ideals this country was founded upon?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Asked and answered.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Any criteria?

Race?
Sex?
Religion?
Marital status?
Nationality?

I can only understand credit checks being used if the position deals with sensitive private data or cash equivalents. Even then, without some hard data, I don't see how someone with a bankruptcy is going to be a bad employee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course any criteria. Don't you respect private property rights?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Because systematic discrimination in a society is a caste system that is a mockery of justice and equality, just a couple of ideals this country was founded upon?
If you don't think employers don't discriminate then you are pretty naive.

I did college recruiting while I worked in the corporate world.
We were told to take all resumes but to make 2 piles based on GPA.

The company did cherry pick based on GPA and it was widely known that the big corporates wouldn't even look at your resume if you were below 3.5.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
This country was founded on freedom, one of which is the freedom of association. A private company is no different from a private citizen. Their job represents their money and their freedom of association. How they choose to exercise that freedom is completely up to them. Or at least it should be, in a country founded on liberty and freedom.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I defend it to a point.
But to be a teacher in a classroom these days requires some extensive checking.
Seeing how society is these days they are still not doing a good enough job as you read of all the teacher/student scandals still popping up in the MSM.
I don't see how. You've already said it's gone. That's not the statement of someone defending a principle. That's the statement of someone watching it sail over the horizon.

And we're not talking about teachers, or FBI agents, or immigration control officers, we're talking about everyday people, people that stand on assembly lines, people that sit in offices making delivery appointments, people that write up the company newsletter.

Some jobs entail duties that are security sensitive, that deal with confidential matters, that handle money. Neither Elizabeth Warren nor myself are saying that all background checks or credit checks should be against the law. Senator Warren is simply saying that the privacy of individuals needs to be weighed against the needs of business. And where there isn't any business need to violate an individual's privacy, there should be limits on business's ability to do so.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If you don't think employers don't discriminate then you are pretty naive.

I did college recruiting while I worked in the corporate world.
We were told to take all resumes but to make 2 piles based on GPA.

The company did cherry pick based on GPA and it was widely known that the big corporates wouldn't even look at your resume if you were below 3.5.
I did resume sifting for two different employers, and we had all manner of subjective criteria starting with typos, stupid fonts, and anyone who put personal stuff like hobbies and interests on their resume. Any of the above got tossed, and I mean tossed without hesitation or so much as a glance. For interviews, anyone not dressed appropriately was rushed through to the "thanks for coming in, we're still interviewing other people" brush off. Before question or qualification one was even pondered, you could be bounced for a typo and not wearing a tie, and it didn't matter if your background was awesome. All totally subjective.

It's not the employee's job, it's the employer's, and they can and should be able to use any criteria for choosing employees that they feel like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies