Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
That is not the direction we are headed when the Mega Corporations and Banks are in bed with the government lobbying for NAFTA, No Labeling on products, Chinese Trade Pacts and so on.

The foreign economic policies dictate what is available in American Markets.
Jane White: Bill Clinton's True Legacy: Outsourcer-in-Chief

Good points.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Give it a rest with the economic nationalism, this is how capitalism works. Individuals and corporations have the right to invest their dollars wherever they want, and trade is conducive to a healthy economy. Don't believe me? Try becoming an island to yourself, and see how life is like without the ability to conduct economic transactions with others.

The purpose of our government is to serve the best interests of the nation for ALL CITIZENS not just for enriching the politically connected that have the monetary power to buy our government.

Perhaps you should refresh yourself on the principles the founding fathers envisioned at the creation of this country.

Quote:
The preamble reads: “WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”
If your against protecting the general welfare of all citizens, then perhaps we should all be free to do as we please regardless of the damage done to the country if it benefits each of us.

Multi National Corporations and the Big Banks Wall Street Banks only exist to make a profit for themselves and their shareholders. They do not care one iota about the well being of the nation. Therefore, how could anyone think that it is a good idea that they infest our government?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
...................... and you, as a liberal, applaud Bill Clinton (who created NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status) and will vote for Hillary in 2016.

Sometimes morons deserve the punishment that they create and demand.
With all due respect hawkeye.

It is not a liberal or conservative issue when the Banksters write the policies on both "teams" to pass.

Let us recall Bush Seniors Speech on the New World Order.

A world order ruled by Multi-National Corporations and Central Banks calling the shots and in control of all governments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txukr5zgHnw

A new world order governed by the "rule of law and not the rule of the jungle"

In other worlds, anyone opposing their fascist vision is the rule of the jungle and their rules are the rule of law.

I am sure many individuals and countries look at their so called rules as rule of the jungle.

The fascist vision is one of survival of the fittest with the government as their big stick. That is the rule of the jungle.

Last edited by J746NEW; 12-20-2013 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
What is funny is that the stuff that is made in China cost less here than in China.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
So what exactly is wrong with Ricardo's Theory of Comparative Advantage?

Old 12-21-2013, 03:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Weird ain't it? Cheap stuff is awesome. Let's buy it all from China. That way, the people that sell cheap stuff here get sold out/under. More people lose low paying jobs, but that's just win. Who needs a job anyway?

I made a thread earlier about how this is screwing India, with business's failing because of being undersold. It was removed as not being appropriate to the forum. I thought people might make the connection. If you have to import everything from somewhere else, the ones who make local stuff suffer. There go the jobs. It's kind of something that might be controversial.

Just curious, if this thread is also deleted....wondering where to post this. China has already erased a lot of American business by using super cheap labor. Why does America not care?

Let's just keep selling out to the Chinese. They won't win by war. They'll win with hand towels and plastic plates.
Because American's are stupid. We think we can have our cake and eat it too. It is our demand for cheap stuff that is fueling this. We are doing this to ourselves.

When my mom was a girl, her dad had a wardrobe made for her when she was in high school that she wore for years. Well made clothing in classic styling that she'd dress up with accessories so the only things she needed to buy were what needed replacing and a new accessory here and there. Contrast to now when girls won't wear the same outfit to school twice. How much money are we wasting on cheap clothing so we can wear something different every day (this is just one example...we replace technology with new technology even if we don't really need new technology just because it is new technology and we have to have the latest and the greatest....etc, etc, etc...).

My students think I'm nuts because I wear my clothes until they need to be discarded and repair them if I can. That's the way I grew up. I'd rather spend $50 on a well made blouse than $15 on something trendy because I know I'll wear the blouse for years to come. This is not how the average consumer thinks though. They want new stuff all the time and it has to be cheap stuff so they can afford new stuff all the time. Labor is cheaper in China so that's where the cheap stuff is made. This eliminates jobs here but people don't care about that until it's their job being eliminated and then they want SOMEONE ELSE to fix it.

As the saying goes "You made your bed now go lie in it" This saying BTW dates back to a time when you really did make your own bed and if you didn't tie up the supports (don't know what they called them but they used to tie rope under the bed to support the mattress) well, your bed sagged and your back would hurt. You also made your own mattress and if you made a lumpy one, you slept on a lumpy bed. Well, the bed we made sags and our mattress is lumpy and now our backs hurt but we did this to ourselves.

I really don't see this changing. If anything I see it escalating. I have an iphone 4 only because it was free with my plan. Seriously, this thing does more than I'll ever need a phone to do in the foreseeable future. I'll keep it until my kids are off my plan and then probably go back to a regular phone because it's cheaper and I really don't need a phone that plays games (I actually got it for the camera and video features but I can still use those even without a phone plan). The kids I teach could NEVER do that. They could NEVER scale back on their phones. They'll buy anything that the tech market is selling and think they need it. Never mind they don't.

If we were to hang on to our money and spend it only on what we needed and then buy made in the USA we could turn this around but we won't. We like our cheap stuff. We think we need the latest and greatest. We're special after all....

We're going to find out how NOT special we are over the next few decades.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-21-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I see you shop at Dollar stores like millions of Americans do. Oh wait. Never mind.
Uh; I bought some pens at Target and they were made on some other cheap country, NOT China. Too; at places like Wal Mart I'm seeing more and more things like TVs with "Assembled in the USA" printed on the boxes. Some of the parts MIGHT be made in China but it must be cheaper to finish making them in the "high cost" US. Sheesh!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
There is a bit of commercial wisdom to the effect that it is better to be cheated in the price than in the quality of the merchandise. Likewise, it would be difficult to see the advantage of having a surplus of shoddy goods; but then, perhaps Wal-Mart knows better what is best for us.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
...................... and you, as a liberal, applaud Bill Clinton (who created NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status) and will vote for Hillary in 2016.

Sometimes morons deserve the punishment that they create and demand.
In the '50s RCA made vacuum tube parts in the US, shipped them to Brazil for assembly by cheap labor, then shipped them back to the US in an effort to increase their bottom line.

Wanna try and blame that on Clinton too?

Corporations happily selling out US workers in such of more $$$ for themselves is hardly new and has nothing to do with your anti-liberal .

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
China is screwing the United States with cheap stuff.
Yes.......they probably cant stand this country and what the leaders here are doing to the world!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies